New MS Win8.1 Start Button

vbimport

Here is a pic, I like it and to me its the same as Win7.

Already got this with Start is Back.

There is a new freeware Start8 that was just updated today.

http://www.areaguard.com/startw8

Is the 15 minutes of fame for the “Start Menu” knock-offs over?

Not sure about that UTR. I haven’t heard if Microsoft is going to let you turn off hot corners as you wish, and without that ability, I’d just as soon stick with Start is Back.

I truly dislike Win8 as my photo-editing machine. Any errant move of a mouse towards a corner or an edge results in Ballmer’s explosions of absolutely useless-to-me services that DO require I stop what I’m trying to do and cancel those applets. Such a numbing, worst-than-useless, productivity-robbing platform for graphics-editing. “Oooh, but it’s got TOUCH!!” Yeah… riiiight.

Taking Win8’s UI back to Win7 is a small step for menu choices, but still, WinXP’s Start Menu customizations were so much more thorough than Vista, 7 and certainly the near zero level of 8. But I really don’t spend time oohing and ahhing over Start buttons or the various options. I want to get to work. I want to accomplish a task without Ballmer’s crap being vomited up every time I try to access a Minimize-Maximize corner motion.

For me the Start menu or button is a break of make it. I am want more productivity and not child like blocks to play with when I want to get serious work done but also when I like to customize icons and links my own not what M$ wants me to have. But anyone wanting a Start Menu already there is called “Windows 7”. It may not be the newest kid on the block but it get the job done when serious work is needed.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2689058]For me the Start menu or button is a break of make it. I am want more productivity and not child like blocks to play with when I want to get serious work done but also when I like to customize icons and links my own not what M$ wants me to have. But anyone wanting a Start Menu already there is called “Windows 7”. [B]It may not be the newest kid on the block but it get the job done when serious work is needed[/B].[/QUOTE]
I may be a little slow coolcolors but what serious work can you do with the Start Button? :wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2689061]I may be a little slow coolcolors but what serious work can you do with the Start Button? ;)[/QUOTE]

Windows Office 2013 is one…I created shortcuts but also I can located some utilites that don’t create icons on desktop like Auto diagnosistic program that connects to my OBO2 tester and Active killdisk and undelete don’t create Icons but can locate it through the start menu. Those might be small but for me getting to software I need and want to use right away without have to use a Metro interface when I don’t have touch screen of which I don’t want on my desktop. Touchscreen desktop not the all in one computer would cost to much to own and maintain. Adobe CS6 is another large program that doesn’t have icons it creates so that would negate getting W8 to start with. I use it to edit Photo and touch-up photo so that is where the start menu still comes into play for me.

I like the way they are going with the start screen I will not enable it hence there is no more menu , it is dead, old, obsolete, 18 year old button that had to go. :slight_smile: Bye-bye start menu. hello start screen

@alan … nice “classic shell” shot.
I understand that M$ are impregnating the new start button, so it takes you back to the metro full screen menu.

@Sb010301 - do you really not have anything better to do than troll/flame-bait our forum?

[QUOTE=sb010301;2690180]I like the way they are going with the start screen I will not enable it hence there is no more menu , it is dead, old, obsolete, 18 year old button that had to go. :slight_smile: Bye-bye start menu. hello start screen[/QUOTE]

You are most definitely in the minority with this opinion.

And yet another solution

:cool:

[QUOTE=sb010301;2690180]I like the way they are going with the start screen I will not enable it hence there is no more menu , it is dead, old, obsolete, 18 year old button that had to go. :slight_smile: Bye-bye start menu. hello start screen[/QUOTE]
You sound like a Microsoft shill , even Microsoft admitted they made the worst error since New Coke a Cola. When you have something that works and everyone likes it, its not good business to shove something in their face that even Microsoft admits was a big mistake. So your " Bye Bye Start Menu" post is old news, the new news is that in version 8.1 they are bringing it back, or haven’t you heard?

This is why I still will have and use Windows7x64 Ult Sp1 for now and future and wait for Windows9 or WindowsX to fix the problem and if not well there is always MAC…:doh:They could’ve improve on the Windows but trying to get users to buy their “SURFACE” with W8 was a debacle and bone head move to do in the first place. Desktop/Laptop aren’t going away anytime soon they have a reason why they are still universally used and conveted.

To all of you wanting a windows 7 style start button,
there is a new version of “StartisBack” available for Windows 8.1 preview. see http://www.startisback.com

it is still in beta but works well on both my desktop and notebook builds of windows 8.1

I have even managed to do a “winsat formal” on both machines with good results.
WEI for my machines in windows 8.1 preview is

Desktop Asus P8P68-M pro with i7-3770 CPU:-
CPU 8.4 MEM 8.4 Video encode 8.4 Graphics 8.3 Gaming 8.3 Hard drive 8.2

Notebook score Asus G75Vx:-
CPU 8.0 MEM 8.0 Video encode 7.9 Graphics 7.6 Gaming 7.6 Hard drive 8.1

Regards Bernie

Hi :slight_smile:
The most interesting thing about the original post is … Windows 8 RT.
Who really uses that?

Also those that state a need for that “Start button”* is required for some Office 2013 short cuts.
Haven’t really persevered with 8.

As for the “when using photo-editing”.
Difficult to comment.
But with the software I use.
I have no such problems.
Touch screen or rollerball helps too.

My set up.

PC uses Windows 8 Pro.
Tablet is Surface Pro.
Mobiles are now all Windows 8.

• Personally have never felt the need to revert to any form of Start button.

Windows 8 RT.
Who really uses that?

zebadee, dont understand what u mean re, alan1476 initial post.

[QUOTE=demndog;2694579]zebadee, dont understand what u mean re, alan1476 initial post.[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:
My bad.
Using Windows phone didn’t correctly read the Windows info.
Windows 8 RTM not RT. :doh:

zebadee, no bad.
and big thx for the clarification :o win8 big jump for me(from xp), and hated the win8 start screen/menu(the massive in-you-face user interface(ui) w/ the um colors/big widgets(wtf), :Z
pls, for laptop/desktop users should have cleaner desktop so can use, very good to have ths cleaned up option for start.
d