New Microsoft YouTube video slams OpenOffice

vbimport

New Microsoft YouTube video slams OpenOffice.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/10/8pzd0b.jpg[/newsimage]For some inexplicable reason, software giant Microsoft decided to release a lengthy, online attack ad-style video against Sun Microsystems’ OpenOffice suite, an open source competitor to Office.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/new-microsoft-video-slams-openoffice-and-open-source-code-35474/](http://www.myce.com/news/new-microsoft-video-slams-openoffice-and-open-source-code-35474/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Going with the herd is always going to be easier. Mind you, I remember being on the Samna/Lotus side a while back, (AmiPro/Wordpro/Smartsuite) until a takeover resulted in MS adoption - nobody likes change.

However, my current PC has OEM MS Workssuite, but for my new one, it’ll be OpenOffice, since I don’t need advanced compatibility, I don’t see the need to buy from the behemoth, especially as I’d have to adapt to a new version anyway - oh, and pay again and again every time the MS powers that be dictate it’s time for an upgrade.

Basically, if you know and use MS Office in depth, you will not save, and will not be happy, with any supposed alternative.

Of course, the number of users and companies that excercise any more than the most basic capabilities must be slim compared to the legions who treat Word like Wordpad.

Microsoft must be getting scared of OpenOffice or they wouldn’t bother to make attack videos like this.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2550498]Microsoft must be getting scared of OpenOffice or they wouldn’t bother to make attack videos like this.[/QUOTE]

I don’t understand it. With 94% market share why worry? It seems to me that GoogleDocs presents more of a threat than OO ever could.
On a side note, I find OO pretty bloated/heavy for everyday use. I use Abiword instead.

QUOTE=wconeybeer;2550420Microsoft decided to release a lengthy, online attack ad-style video against Sun Microsystems� OpenOffice suite, [/QUOTE]Open Office is now owned by Oracle.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2550505]Open Office is now owned by Oracle.

Michael[/QUOTE]

I thought Open Office is owned by Sun Microsystems, Who is in turn owned by Oracle?

OpenOffice seems to be fully owned by Oracle as far I can tell. For example, I remember seeing the sun logo when ever I launched Writer,but ever since I upgraded to OpenOffice 3.2.1, there is no sign if the word ‘Sun’ let alone its logo anywhere in the product, including the ‘About…’ section.

Here’s a quote from the Historical background on their website, which gives an idea of what happened over the years, including Oracle’s acquisition:

StarDivision, the original author of the StarOffice suite of software, was founded in Germany in the mid-1980s. It was acquired by Sun Microsystems during the summer of 1999 and StarOffice 5.2 was released in June of 2000. Future versions of StarOffice software, beginning with 6.0, have been built using the OpenOffice.org source, APIs, file formats, and reference implementation. Sun continued to sponsor development on OpenOffice.org for the next 10 years. Following this period brought an overwhelming increase of the user base and a tremendous growth of the project. Since the acquisition of Sun in 2010 Oracle is the principal contributor of code to OpenOffice.org. CollabNet hosts the website infrastructure for development of the product.

On the other hand, they still use ‘Sun’ and ‘Sun Microsystems’ regularly throughout their website apart from the homepage, so they have plenty of updating to do. :wink: E.g. the Licensing FAQ page mentions Sun throughout it apart from the footer.

The project has been forked and LibreOffice is in beta.

New Microsoft YouTube video slams OpenOffice

Is that really any different than the thousands of posts in any software forum where people crudely and often rudely offer ‘Get open office, dude’ as the solution to any problem someone has with Microsoft Office?

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2550643]Is that really any different than the thousands of posts in any software forum where people crudely and often rudely offer ‘Get open office, dude’ as the solution to any problem someone has with Microsoft Office?[/QUOTE]Yes. :smiley:

Biggest threat to Openoffice, is ORACLE, seems to have caused a major rift, as their attitude and commitment to open source is not trusted.

So Openoffice.org, has been forked to LibreOffice under an open foundation.
People are worrying like hell about MySQL, thought to be particularly unsafe in the hands of another database company!

Java, which was being steered steadily toward fully open source under Sun, is another sticking point.

Opensolaris, uncertain future.

Basically, the fear is that everything that was “Sun” is not safe in the hands of Oracle.

What the hell has the crew at Microsoft been smoking? What the hell has the public been smoking? The maker of the most expensive, bloated and bug ridden operating system on earth would have you believe you don’t spend more time maintaining Windows than actually using it? They would tell you Open Source is less convenient? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ! Oh that is a killer.

Yeah, LibreOffice for me here. Now if I can only find a full featured duplicate of Adobe Acrobat Professional I would never have to open my windows VM again.

Have had absolutely no reason to upgrade my Office 97!
Only had one one Word Doc that it wouldn’t open and Open Office took
care of that nicely.
If I ever have to retire 97, Open Office will happily be installed in
it’s place. Bill can keep his $600 + Office Suite.

Since i can open everything in Google Docs, i don’t need to buy any software at all anymore.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2550498]Microsoft must be getting scared of OpenOffice or they wouldn’t bother to make attack videos like this.[/QUOTE]

Right. Give m$ hell!!! :a:iagree:

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2551027]Since i can open everything in Google Docs, i don’t need to buy any software at all anymore.[/QUOTE]

I tried opening a review I’m working on in Google docs for curiosity and it did open ;), but it was practically unreadable. :doh: I tried re-uploading and got the same issue. The pictures looked like they were blown up by 200%-300% with only part of each shown on the page, all text was wrapping after every 4th or 5th word, tables were a disaster, etc. For curiosity, I tried the “Make a Google docs copy” option and it just said “Error copying to Google Docs format.” I think Google docs needs a little improving before I’ll try it again. :smiley:

LibreOffice Writer opens it up fine with the formatting pretty much identical to MS Word.

Hey Seán,

your avatar is [B]GODLIKE[/B]!!!

This thread should be in the “latest news headlines” section.

They need to discredit OpenOffice.org because they went rogue. It all has to do with the Oracle/ Sun buyout. With their bitch err, CEO in place they were going to deband the “project”. So some members took it, since it is owned by no one and went rogue. So with no corporate backing, you bet you ass MS is going to be all over it, and wouldn’t be surprised if a lawsuit isn’t pending.