New member new problem: BenQ 1670 not working under Vista

:cop: hi guy my names jted i’m new to the forum thanks for having me be gentle i’m new to forums and techy styff i have a problem with a benq 1670dvdrw i have tried to install it on vista and i could not get it to work i tried updating the firmware and no difference the prob is when you put a disc in it spins and just sits there spinning and does not come up on the screen like the drive can’t read it so i tried it in windows xp same prob .
Now the techy bit i have it as the master on ide 1 ide 0 is my hdd the model number is dvd8900 on the out side its a pilips benq and i need some help with getting it to work in device manager dvd/cdrom drives its listed as a benq dvd dc dw1670 ATA device i have spoken to benq who say its not one of there s they cant see it on there system so i cant claim warranty can anyone advise

please hook up HDD on primary IDE channel as master.

please hook up DVD on secondary IDE channel as master.

if you have only one IDE channel:

please hook up HDD drive as master and dvd as slave.

please jumper as cable select.

[quote=troy512;2029573]please hook up HDD on primary IDE channel as master.

please hook up DVD on secondary IDE channel as master.

if you have only one IDE channel:

please hook up HDD drive as master and dvd as slave.

please jumper as cable select.[/quote]

:o hi troy512 i have two hdd on ide0 and two dvdrom on ide1. ide 1 is dvdrw benq dw1670 on master and dvdrom on slave but this thing still wont work have tried various diffrent ways as you discribe above and other and still it wont work i saw from an earlier post from someone else they had same prob and changed transfer to PIO but i dont know how to do that do you think that would work

i have two hdd on ide0 and two dvdrom on ide1. ide 1 is dvdrw benq dw1670 on master and dvdrom on slave

the prob is when you put a disc in it spins and just sits there spinning and does not come up on the screen

has this drive ever worked? do you have other computer to test?

tried updating the firmware

was the flash done correctly?

seems you know how to connect the drives. :slight_smile: what type of disc are you putting in? maybe auto run is not functioning. go to my computer and access the drive. please try different source disc.

you do not want pio mode. udma is better. :iagree:

please go to device manager and uninstall your ide controller(s) (not the channels)

i have an older cd-writer, when i connect my dvd burner to the same ide cable, for some reason i can not recognize dvd, only cds. :a i know very strange. :confused:

troy

:clap:HI troy512
fixed it just set transfer to PIO i know ultra dma is better nut i need this working i think the difference is just dvdrw will be slower but as long as it works that’ll do for me i phone benq they told me it wasn’t one of theres despite the fact it has philips benq on it i ended up getting a firmware from liton which helped firmware 1.03 which is the same as the benq dw1670 i thank you for youe time man and i will contiune to see if i can get udma to work i have built dozens of systems and never had this problem with any dvdrw until now and:iagree: frankly i will not buy another benq product as there customer support to me was worse than useless
the firmware was installed correct and the think is working now any way i wased a full day sunday trying to fix this but hey it was a sunday and the formula 1 was not on so thats what sundays without f1 are for
thanks again man:clap::o

Hi,[quote=jted;2029978]
fixed it just set transfer to PIO i know ultra dma is better [/quote]you need an 80wired, 18" (46cm) flat ribbon cable for your Benq since that is an UDMA-4 drive. Also make sure, that Master and Slave jumpers are set correctly. The Master drive must be connected to the end of the cable, the Slave drive to the “middle” connector.

Michael