New measures against Piracy in the UK

vbimport

I will make this as clear as possible, I have been up all nite.

Went around to see my mate and he had bought Metal Gear Solid 2 for the PC, he went too make a backup and it’s on a DVD, plus it installs the whole dvd on yer pc and still does a simple check too see if the DVD is present. There is a no DVD crack on the usual url.

I pondered for while, after thinking back when I made a fully working backup of UT2003 after I opened the cab file up and inserted a patched exe, god only knows how I did that, as there was no patches out at the time. Anyway without straying off the subject, I know what they have done, a DVD can store about 4.2 gig, not 4.7gig as quoted. Right inside this rather large cab file will be the game roughly 2 maybe 3 x 80 min cd’s, and the rest is a big chunk of garbage data. My mate didn’t understand what I was going on about, never mind. It would be a case of extracting the game files from the cab file, then thats where the software reverse engineering guys come in, they make up a new cab file and put in onto the cd(s) along with the setup and the no DVD patch. I know it is on 2 cd’s as another mate has it. Bit of a pain but it will put an end too the average user making a clean backup, thats for certain, and it most certainly will slow things right down and cause some people sleepless nites as they cannot make a legal backup of the game. The question remains, how will the software industry react to that, as if the dvd gets scratched or damaged, the outlet you bought it from will not give you a refund or a new copy. So how are they going too get out of this?

Not bad eh for someone who has been awake since 4pm yesterday:D

Greets The Diplomat:cool: I need those shades too block out the light so I can sleep lol see still a bit of humor in me;)

Originally posted by intercept
I know what they have done, a DVD can store about 4.2 gig, not 4.7gig as quoted.
4.7 billion bits equals 4.377 GB (base 2).

With the base-two definition, a kilobyte equals 1,024 bytes; a megabyte totals 1,048,576 bytes, or 1,024 kilobytes; and a gigabyte equals 1,073,741,824 bytes, or 1,024 megabytes.

With the base-10 definition used by storage companies, a kilobyte equals 1,000 bytes, a megabyte equals 1,000,000 bytes, and a gigabyte equals 1,000,000,000 bytes. Put another way, to a disc manufacturer, a DVD that holds 4,700,000,000 bits of data holds 4.7GB; to software that uses the base-two definition, including CHKDSK, FDSIK and portions of Windows, the same drive holds 4.3 GB of data, or 4,482.27 MB.

The ‘loss’ to the consumer is 330.53 base-two MegaBytes.

I’ve just prepared another ‘120GB’ disk which actually holds 111.759 base-two GB

When we start buying TeraByte disks the loss will be over 70,000 MB or 68 base-two GB :eek:

I was almost right, not far out. Yeah I did all this stuff 17 years ago 8bits = 1 byte, 1024bytes=1k, 1024k = 1 meg.

In Hard drives terms you never get the quoted spec and for some reason they call a meg =1048 kb.

I bought a WD 7200rpm 120 gig and only have 111gig too play with. It actually works out too 119.969,251,328 bytes, this leads the user into thinking it is 120 gig when infact its not:(

Greetz The Diplomat:D

@intercept

Whatever measures people come up with to prevent piracy, people will always find a workaround. People have been trying various methods ever since the birth of computing - and software is pirated even more today than it ever was.

This time round, there will be less delay though, because the DVD and CD formats are pretty similar, so there won’t be such a huge learning process to go through.

The software industry uses their textbook method to deal with damaged DVDs - the customer mails them proof of ownership, software seller mails a new boxed DVD back.

Quite frankly though, the argument of personal backup is largely bollocks. A friend who used to work in the software industry (is now an IT admin) said that the no. of replacement discs requested was about 2 per thousand distributed at the very worst, normally much less than that (this was a CD release with SD2). CDs are amazingly tough and unless you seriously mistreat them or rub them down with glass paper, they normally don’t become unreadable.