New Matsushita DVD-RAM UDF Driver

vbimport

Panasonic have on their website an update of their DVD-RAM Driver which allows writing to disc in UDF. This has a much newer version of the meiudf.sys driver (Ver 6.0.2.0).

The installer is only for certain Panasonic drives but I have removed the drive-check so it should work on any DVD-RAM capable drive. I am using it successfully on my 165P6S and my GSA-4167B. I have uploaded my changed version here. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Great news :slight_smile:

Thanks for reporting :clap:

Michael

I guess the question is whether there’s any compelling reason to update. Any new functions?

Hi,

The driver seems to be interesting for the few W2k users (included myself) as drives that are not listed in the dvdram.inf file are automagically detected and configured for use with the DVD-RAM driver. (But my Litey still doesn’t work properly :rolleyes: )

Also, UDF 2.5 support is included.

Michael

Ah, well this does represent some change. Also a Win2K user, I long since found a couple ways around that limitation, and any drive will be supported in the older versions as well. There’s more than one LiteOn burner that’s useless for RAM, and it’s not the driver’s fault.

Is that your 165P6S? What is it that isn’t working?

The little testing I’ve done with my 165P6S and the DVD-RAM driver didn’t show any problem, although I mostly use my NEC 4551 or Optiarc 7173 drive for DVD-RAM.

Windows XP SP2 with the 5.0.2.5 driver.

Could you elaborate on that, please? Which drives and in what way are they useless?

Hi,

Yes, its my ex-Sony DW-G120A;)
If I try to write files onto a RAM disc (using Explorer or any other file manager), the process fails, and I am getting an error message about an “I/O error”.
As there is no problem with XP and Win98SE(!), I blame the W2k version of the driver.
I did not try to install the drive internally (and as crosscheck my LG externally) to narrow down that issue further. Also, there is no problem with InCD, that is installed on a second W2k installation on my test partition.

Michael

Don’t blame the driver, this happens because the drive cannot write to RAM without errors. Really crappy burn quality in other words. If you shut off verification, it might complete a burn, but would still be unreadable. I had a 165P6S here that worked for RAM, but again it was writing so many bad sectors that it took forever to complete. The drive crapped out completely after about 3 months, but I can’t say there’s a connection.

Remember that with RAM, each sector is verified, and re-written if it’s not readable. If the drive is writing crap, it can take forever to write a few MB, cause it’s re-writing over and over again. Am I/O error might well result if it fails after a certain number of tries.

Can’t say why you don’t see the same effect in XP or 98, but I assure you that the driver is not the problem.

Hi,

I did a little test:
I booted my test installation (also W2k SP4), that has InCD installed instead of the Panasonic driver. I inserted a disc that has beed formatted with UDF 1.5 using my LG4163 and Panasonic’s formatting tool into my Liteon drive.
Then I copied a couple of files (total about 1 GB) onto the disc, the largest was a Knoppix CD image.
Next step was rebooting my normal system, then I inserted the disc into my LG drive in order to compare some files with the source files from the HDD:

D:\Data>fc /b KNOPPIX_V5.1.0CD-2006-12-30-DE.iso t:\KNOPPIX_V5.1.0CD-2006-12-30-
DE.iso
Vergleichen der Dateien KNOPPIX_V5.1.0CD-2006-12-30-DE.iso und T:\KNOPPIX_V5.1.0
CD-2006-12-30-DE.ISO
FC: Keine Unterschiede gefunden

D:\Data>fc /b "Doro & Warlock - All we are.mp3" "t:\Doro & Warlock - All we are.
mp3"
Vergleichen der Dateien Doro & Warlock - All we are.mp3 und T:\DORO & WARLOCK -
ALL WE ARE.MP3
FC: Keine Unterschiede gefunden

For those who can’t read german: both files were identical, the Liteon wrote them correctly if InCD was used. The ISO is about 720 MB, the mp3 file was 4 MB in size.

What do you think about that?

Remember that with RAM, each sector is verified, and re-written if it’s not readable. If the drive is writing crap, it can take forever to write a few MB, cause it’s re-writing over and over again. Am I/O error might well result if it fails after a certain number of tries.
If I try to write data on the system running Panasonic’s driver, the plain attempt of writing fails. I am not even able to create a folder or an empty text file on the disc.

Can’t say why you don’t see the same effect in XP or 98, but I assure you that the driver is not the problem.
I think different in this case. If your theory was right, then the file comparison would have failed.

Michael

Thanks infra-red! I’ve searched for the BD/DVD-RAM driver several times over the last [I]ten months[/I] to no avail. Finally I can use UDF 2.50 with Matsushita’s reliable, relatively simple driver rather than Ahead’s InCD.

So what’s the consensus on this driver here? Does it work fine or is it trouble?

If the one your using is not broke don’t fix it?

Hi,

I don’t think there is trouble with the driver. I personally went back to the previous version, as there was no advantage for me with my configuration. And I don’t need UDF 2.5 yet.

If the one your using is not broke don’t fix it?
You might install the newer driver if you

[ul][li] are running W2k and don’t want to fiddle with the dvdram.inf file in order to get newer drives working with that driver
[/li][li] want to use UDF 2.5[/ul]
[/li]If none of these points are interesting you, then there is no need for the update.

Michael

FYI, that’s not required, you can go through device manager and force the drive to use the Panny driver in Win2K.

Why don’t you post the link to the instructions :wink: :bigsmile:
http://www.bhacorp.com/support/faq_dvdram/01.html#2

The new driver is straightforward, so there is no need to “repair” something eithrt way :slight_smile:

Michael