New LiteON 832S: Read Issues

vbimport

I got a LiteOn 832S (no firmware upgrades done) yesterday.

I tried playing a burnt DVD (Memorex DVD+R 4X media burnt at 4X on another machine). Every 20 or so seconds, it would skip a couple of seconds. I have a 2.4 GHz processor with 512 MB memory, so my system has enough to juice to handle movie playback.

What is more interesting, is that if I play the same media on my DVDROM drive (also LiteOn, firmware upgraded about couple years ago, now it calls it self “JLMS DVD-ROM LTD163D”, it plays fine without any skips.

I think the media cannot be bad (since the DVD-ROM drive had no problems with it). Any suggested course of action?

Firmware upgrade? Return? More tests?

• Murali

Memorex is one of the worst media’s out there you never know who made it. I don’t think that is your problem in this case although I would never recommend it to anyone.

Welcome. :slight_smile:

Do I take it the data on the disc was a movie. Some players do not like DVD+R media. Try setting the booktype to -ROM using Kprobe2’s bitsetting or with the Liteon BookType tool, and then burning another disc. Setting the booktype to -ROM on +R media improves it’s compatibility in older players.