New Lite-On drive: SOHR-5238S

vbimport

On the Lite-On site, they mention a new CD-RW drive.

Check it out here .

As far as I can see, it’s only smaller then the previous ones.

Originally posted by Namoh
[B]On the Lite-On site, they mention a new CD-RW drive.

Check it out here .

As far as I can see, it’s only smaller then the previous ones. [/B]

LTR - 52327S vs SOHR - 5238S

Although the new SOHR says “The shortest physical drive length design, 170 mm only” they both have the dimensions of 145.8 ( W ) x 41.3 ( H ) x 170.0 ( D ) mm

the one strange thing i can tell from the sohr is the burn speeds:
Writing 52x CAV
ReWriting 32x ZCLV
Reading 52x CAV , DAE Maximum Speed 48x CAV

what is CAV and ZCLV and are there any other differences in the 2 drives?

For all intents and purposes, they are all the same, probably.

1. all fo the new LiteOn drives have the “shortest” label put on… and yea, they are pretty darn short… they most likely have the exact same size
  2. CAV, Z-CLV are writing strategies. Search the forum for more info on what they mean. I’m going to venture a guess that the LTR has the same writing strats and that they never put it on their website.
  3. So what’s different? Name-change. Now that LiteOn and Sony have a strategic agreement, it seems that more and more LiteOn drives have the “SO” label.
  4. Any other changes? Maybe a few under-the-hood tweaks here and there. Or maybe not.

Good explanation of writing modes here: http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=faq_general.html

Here is a quick pic of the difference.

The LiteON LTR-52327S uses P-CAV for CD-RW writing at 24x and 32x. I wonder why LiteON is stepping backwards and using Z-CLV for 24x/32x CD-RW in the new SOHR-5238S?

I dunno if it’s stepping back. Depending on how the P-CAV and Z-CLV start and end speeds are defined and how the Z-CLV zones are defined and how the P-CAV zones are defined, Z-CLV might turn out to be faster than P-CAV… or it might turn out slower… we won’t know for sure until someone gets a hold of the drive.

the difference between Z-CLV on the 8S and P-CAV on the 7S is about 1 second at 24x in Nero. Can’t say for sure what the 32x difference is …yet. Will have some 32x media soon

And yes, they are the same length

@rdgrimes & others,

Do you have the SOHR-5238S? Please post some CD Speed Write Strategy charts if possible. I’d be interested in seeing them and comparing the write strategies to the LTR-52327S.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

Just to compare, since it came up in another conversation, here’s P-CAV in a 52327S burner:

How much difference in time that you actually see when comparing drives with these strategies will depend more on how long it takes them to write lead-in and lead-out.
In the case of these 2 drives, the difference in Nero is about 1-2 sec. so the difference in total time is nil.

If you look closely in the specs of the new drive , you will see that it lacks the ability to update the firmware .
Is it a good drive then ? I don’t think so.

Originally posted by viperXP
If you look closely in the specs of the new drive , you will see that it lacks the ability to update the firmware .
Is it a good drive then ? I don’t think so.

Where do you see that? SATA drives might run into problems with firmware upgrades and KProbe on systems with certain SATA controllers, but IDE drives should always be firmware upgradable.

would CAV give u better C1/C2 scans as opposed to Z-CLV since the laser doesn’t have to stop and resume? isn’t it pretty much the same as burn proof acting to try and counter a buffer under run?

Where do you see that? SATA drives might run into problems with firmware upgrades and KProbe on systems with certain SATA controllers, but IDE drives should always be firmware upgradable. [/QUOTE]

Just open both the LTR52327S and the new drive specs , and watch for differences. The line ,declaring the ability to update the firmware - is missing.

Using 32x US RW media, here’s a comparison of Z-CLV vs P-CAV. The 8S drive may vary a bit from this strategy, but not much.

Originally posted by SupIAmMike
[B]LTR - 52327S vs SOHR - 5238S

Although the new SOHR says “The shortest physical drive length design, 170 mm only” they both have the dimensions of 145.8 ( W ) x 41.3 ( H ) x 170.0 ( D ) mm

the one strange thing i can tell from the sohr is the burn speeds:
Writing 52x CAV
ReWriting 32x ZCLV
Reading 52x CAV , DAE Maximum Speed 48x CAV

what is CAV and ZCLV and are there any other differences in the 2 drives? [/B]

sorry…but if you dont’ know what ZCLV and CAV does mean i think you should comprhend which CD writers burning methods exist untill to post about what are the differences between two writers.

Originally posted by viperXP
[B]Where do you see that? SATA drives might run into problems with firmware upgrades and KProbe on systems with certain SATA controllers, but IDE drives should always be firmware upgradable.

Just open both the LTR52327S and the new drive specs , and watch for differences. The line ,declaring the ability to update the firmware - is missing. [/B][/QUOTE]

you seems to be right but why is there a new firmwa for it then?
http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/e_downloads/e_firmware_cd-rw.asp?Flag=1&Item=R524S03&Model=SOHR-5238S

which one would you buy currently? I burn around 50 CDs per day, big files, on Ritek media. Which one of these two would be the best and fastest?

LTR - 52327S vs SOHR - 5238S

Probably no differences between the two.

Buy the one that’s the cheapest.