New Lite-On 832S user. What should I do to it?

After reading posts on this forum and talking to a few users, I replaced my Plextor 708a with a Lite-On 832s. Everyone on here is great:bow::bow:! This is an excellent Forum! I have learned quite a bit from everyone in here, but I am still a Lite-On noobie. I have read where you all are “changing the write strategy” and “setting the Bit Setting”, etc… I just updated my drive’s firmware to VS0A, but I know there are some other things I need to do. Could someone tell me what I need to do as far as “write strategy”, “bit setting”, etc…? I would really appreciate it.

One more quick question. I have a Lite-On 167T DVD Reader, and is it ok when I backup DVDs to put the original in the Reader and put the blank in the 832S? Basically can I use my 167T for extraction?

Thanks

you should not do anything to your drive.
the changing of writing strategies is done when you are having trouble getting decent burns on certain media. If you have not encountered such problems you should use your drive as is. Only thing I would recommend doing is enabling autobitsetting in case you forget to autobitset each time. check out the liteon tools thread, there you will find explanations for what each tool is and what you need.
as for using your dvd-rom to extract video I see no problem with it. if you have any problems doing so you can always extract the video using your 832s.

NOTE: changing write strategies is done at your own risk

damn buttons

Is there a way to force programs to burn at 8X? I even have some brand new Verbatims that Alcohol and Nero will only burn at 2X! That sux. Looking for a way around it.:smiley:

do you have dma enabled?

There are many Verbatim branded media´s… :confused:

Verbatim DataLife DVD-R 2x (CMC MAG. AF1)
Verbatim DataLife DVD-R 2x (CMC MAG.AF01)
Verbatim DataLife DVD+R 2.4x (CMC MAG.R01)
Verbatim DataLife DVD+R 4x (RICOHJPNR01)
Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R 4x (MCC 01RG20)
Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R 4x (TYG01.......)
Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-RW 1x (MCC 00RW11N9)
Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-RW 2x (MCC 01RW11n9)
Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+R 4x (MCC.....002)
Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+R 4x Pastel (YUDEN000-T01-000)
Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+R 8x (MCC.....003)
Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+RW 2.4x (MCC.....A01)
Verbatim DataLifePlus Advanced AZO DVD-R 8x (MCC02RG20)
Verbatim DataLifePlus Advanced AZO DVD+R 8x (MCC.....003)
Verbatim DataLifePlus SERL DVD+RW 4x (MKM A02)
Verbatim DigitalMovie DVD-R 4x (MCC 01RG20)

Please provide more relevant information. :wink:

BTW, in your signature, you have mixed up firmwares…

Sorry I didn’t give more info. I went into KProbe and got the Disc Info. Here it is:

Disc Type DVD-R
Book Type DVD-R
Manufacturer CMC Magnetics Corporation
Media ID CMC MAG.
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Capacity 4.38 GB
Free Size 4.38 GB
Free Blocks 2297888
Number of Layers 1
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 3.2x
Maximum Write Speed 2.0x
Current Write Speed 2.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 2.0x CLV

On the side of the spindle it doesn’t say a speed anywhere. “Verbatim DataLife DVD-R” They are shiny silver with blue writing on them. They are actually pretty:D If there is another utility that will give me more info., please let me know and I will get it for you. Thanks for your help.

BTW, I fixed my Sig. Thanks for letting me know I had the firmwares switched.:smiley:

Is there a way to force programs to burn at 8X?

OmniPatcher
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=97590

Media ID CMC MAG.
Is that all that was written in that line?

BTW just because you speed hack a certain media does not mean you will get good results. Your best bet to speed hack will be using good media such as TY.

• Yeah, Kprobe is a nice tool, but for MID you better use DVD Identifier
    Look in DVD Media Test forum how to post media identification. :wink:
[B]Maximum Write Speed 2.0x
Current Write Speed 2.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 2.0x CLV[/B]

Anyhow… I hope you got an answer why you can´t burn faster than at 2X speed with current media and firmware.

Edit, added; please read also THIS :smiley:

Pinto2, thanks for the DVD Identifier link. I installed it and got this information on this disc:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:CMC MAG.]

Disc Type : [DVD-R]
Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG.]
Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x , (2x)]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

BTW, yeah I saw the 2X in the description, but I thought I would still be able to burn at at least 4X by what I was reading in other threads.

unknown1234, yes, that was all that was on that line.