New Lite-On 48125W...SLOW!...Help!

vbimport

I thought that I was giving my friend a killer burner by buying him the new Lite-On 48125W, but that just isn't the case.

I have a Plextor 16X burner, and I can burn a full CD 80 min in 5 to 6 min. That happens to be the same amount of time that it takes him to burn a full CD with his brand new 48X burner! Should I have gotten the 40X burner instead? Everyone raves about it.

The media that he tried it on did not say up to what speed it supported (it didn't say anything at all, actually). However, he even tried burning the CD-R that came with it that said that it was of "Professional Speed", but did not give a speed. I assume that it would burn at 48X, or close to it, seeing that it came with the drive.

In any case, we tried buring 3 different CD's (2 data CD's consisting of only MP3's, and one with software programs on it). All three took 6 min 25 sec including the lead in and lead out! Not kool!

We used the Nero version that came with the drive (5.5.8).

Originally, it had the VS02 firmware, but after we got those slow speeds, I figured that upgrading to the latest version, VS06 would help. Well, not only did it NOT help, but it actually created errors (the other disks burned with VS02 burned error free)! At around 20%, it said "could not perform end track".

I have read some posts, and since I have had no problems with my Plextor (it was pretty much plug and play), I am not familiar with some of the settings that are mentioned (DOA, TOA, etc.). What are they? Are they relevant when using Nero? DMA mode? Will that make a difference?

Also, with respect to SmartBurn. I looked for it in Nero, and could not find it. How do I disable it?

And one more thing...how is it that people are able to see the speed of the burner as it is burning? What program is that? Can it be used with Nero? I just found out about Nero CD Speed. I need to have my friend do the test with it. Can one have that open will burning a CD as well? Is that how they view the speed?

Sorry about all of the questions, but I am a newbie, and I need to get up to speed. I tried to read as many posts about my problem before I posted, but I did not find too many.

In any case, I would just like to know how to get my friend's new 48X burner up to the killer speeds that everyone is raving about.

Please advise.

Thanx.

Just so you know, here are the specs of his computer, in case that makes a difference:

Compaq Presario
Intel Celeron 566 MHz Processor with 66MHz system bus
384MB RAM
30 GIG HD 5400 RPM
Win98

Very likely this is the media, Smart burn will limit the speed to match the media, and the burn dialogue should indicate this. Disabling Smart Burn is a bad idea, but you can do this in the drive properties in Nero. (select recorder). Just look at the burn dialogue and it says what speed you are burning at, however if there is a system problem that is limiting the transfer rate, the drive will slow to prevent an under-run. Make sure that DMA is enabled on ALL drives.

OK. Thanx. I’ll have him make sure everything is set to DMA, and I will also give him some 32X CD’s to try. But I would figure that Lite-On would send media that is compatible with its drive, or at least a 40X CD seeing that 48X just came out.

Another thing is that everyone has been saying that they have been able to burn 16X CD’s at 40X, etc. How are they able to do that?

With respect to SmartBurn, how do you access that? I have a Plextor, and checked inside Nero to see if I could find it (maybe Plextor doesn’t work with SmartBurn), but I couldn’t. I did, however, see BurnProof, but I believe that is simply to prevent errors from occurring. The way that I accessed that was to open up Nero, go to RECORDER>CHOOSE RECORDER>and with my Plextor selected, click on OPTIONS. There, it allows me to disable BurnProof, but again, I think that is an entirely different program.

I will try the above, but if anyone else has some more advice, please…do tell.

Don’t believe everything you read…
Download the LiteOn utility, “SmartBurn.exe” fron their site, it will read a CDR and tell you what speed SmartBurn will burn it at, as well as the disc maker, etc.
You can access the SmartBurn switch in the drive properties on the “select drive” dialogue, but turning this off simply lets you burn the disc at a higher speed than it is rated for…NOT a good idea. If anything, SmartBurn is already burning discs faster than it should.

OK. I will try that as well. Thanx.

I have the same weird problem whit the LTR-48125W using Firmware VS06.
I just build in this burner and when i tested it burned a disk in 5 to 5 min @ 32x (Smart Burn enabled), the same as my Lite on 16x burner a had before !!! :frowning:

Anywone solutions???:bow: :bow: :bow:

b.t.w, you can see @ wich speed your burning using CloneCd :wink:

Originally posted by BurnFre@k
I have the same weird problem whit the LTR-48125W using Firmware VS06.
I just build in this burner and when i tested it burned a disk in 5 to 5 min @ 32x (Smart Burn enabled), the same as my Lite on 16x burner a had before !!! :frowning:

So you had SmartBurn enabled, and it still burned slow? Not kool! I’ll still have him install it to check it out, but I don’t think it will make a difference.

I just had him run the Speed test with Nero CD Speed, and what I suspected was true. He is burning at the same speed as my Plextor, 16X! He said that it started at 16X, and ended at 6.40X! What is the deal?!

b.t.w, you can see @ wich speed your burning using CloneCd

Thanx! I was wondering. I’ll have him use that next. Can you have that program AND Nero installed at the same time? I know some conflict with each other.

Anyone else know a solution? Please advise.

I still have to have him change the drive to DMA, if it isn’t already.

Sounds like buffer under-run problems

Hey LABachlr, Perhaps your friend has too slow of a proccessor installed to beable to burn at 48x speed. Other things that could cause slow burning: Wrong IDE cable, he is running in PIO mode instead of Ultra DMA 2, bad 4 in 1 drivers (only for via motherboards), Slow hard drive(s),or the jumpers are not set right on the burner. Try the burner on its own IDE channel with the 80 pin IDE cable. If all else fails, try it on another computer (Faster one than his) and see if his computer is the bottleneck. I hope this message helps you out. Later

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by CPU Slayer
Hey LABachlr, Perhaps your friend has too slow of a proccessor installed to beable to burn at 48x speed. Other things that could cause slow burning: Wrong IDE cable, he is running in PIO mode instead of Ultra DMA 2, bad 4 in 1 drivers (only for via motherboards), Slow hard drive(s),or the jumpers are not set right on the burner. Try the burner on its own IDE channel with the 80 pin IDE cable. If all else fails, try it on another computer (Faster one than his) and see if his computer is the bottleneck. I hope this message helps you out. Later

YOU DA MAN! :bow:

It was not on DMA mode, and also, the jumper settings did not match where the drives were on the IDE cable. So, we set it to DMA, and changed the jumper settings so that the burner was the master, and the DVD player was the slave (with the burner being closer to the motheroboard on the IDE cable), and BAM!!..burned a full 700MB CD in 3:00 flat including lead in and lead out!!:eek: (SmartBurn enabled)

Did a CD Speed test with a 16X blank CDR…started out at 22.09X, and ended up 48.52X!!

Thanx, CPU Slayer!

Thanks for replying back on your success LABachlr. Im glad to hear it.

:slight_smile:

I’m having the same problem you did with it not buring up to its potential. I have everything set write, but i can’t figure out how to turn/check the DMA setting…can any of you guys point me in the right direction? I also have a VIA k7vta3 motherboard, do you know if the 4 in 1 drivers are bad on that one? I’d appreciate any thoughts cuz this thing is driving me crazy. thanks!

Try this:

How to change DMA setting in Win2k

i have been having problems with my 48x and nero (and some other programs.) please look here to see if you can help

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50477

alright, i finally figured it out! Thanks for posting that link LABachlr!

No problem. :cool:

fantastic thread guys… this has helped me so much… !!

I had all the problems descirbed, dma’s ports, master v slave, and those Lite-on yellow and red light alternation…

I had various problems, inititaly my physical setup was wrong, fixed that, had the wrong media… used nero cd tests for that one and cleared some issues up, and now the final problem…

I have alot of cue files to burn. I usually use EAC and nero, and have noticed that still to burn long audio cd’s on ay speed above 8x it’s taking 11-12-13 mins to complete. yes the lights are changing… however when i change the cue file to point to wavs things are great. :)… all of a sudden 3-4 min burns ::):slight_smile: So we know what the problim is now.

What i want to know is how to specify in cue burning programs, how to change prefrences to completly decode the mp3 before burning. I’m not sure what EAC and NERO are doing when you wait for the cue to load… I always presumed this was decoding taking place, but obvously not.

Without having to use 3rd party decoder programs, and point the cue to wav’s, is there a way to burn the cd’s completly form wav thru cues?

Make sure that you have the latest version of Nero. It should decode it automatically without taking any longer than the usual 3 min. burn :eek:, and without having to change the preferences in Nero). Are you using the Wizard in Nero [HELP>USE NERO WIZARD]? It will ask you what kind of CD you want to burn. Choose Audio CD. Then, just drag and drop the MP3’s into the the compilation list, and burn it.

If that doesn’t work, then I would suggest uninstalling Nero, and reinstalling it (make sure it is v. 5.5). I would advise that you install the version of Nero that came on the CD that came with your burner (hopefully it came with one; my friend’s Lite-On 48X did).

Just so you know, using Nero 5.5.5 and my Plextor 16X burner, I burned two audio CD’s, one by dragging and dropping mp3’s into the compilation list, and one by dragging and dropping WAV files, and they each took the same amount of time.:cool:

Actually, my friend just tried burning an audio CD from mp3’s with his 48X lite-on, and it kept on stopping with an error, “burning process failed” and gave some buffer-underrun errors. The first burn attempt stopped at 73%, second time (with another CD of course) at 63%, and the third time (with a different brand of CDR (Imation 80 min)) it stopped at 60%. The messed up thing is that he was still able to play the burned portion in his CD player (the 60%-70% of songs that had been burned before it gave the error)!

It seems like it is a problem with the version of Nero the comes with the Lite-On burner. Or, it just may be the burner. Not sure. Again, my Plextor burns audio cd’s from mp3’s fine with Nero.

Any thoughts on this one?

(When he burned with wav files…no problems)