New Licensing Policy after May 8

vbimport

1 year free updates and product support,for a proggy that rocks, still seems like an awesome deal to me…course I’m one of the lucky with an existing lic. and so-called lifetime updates…Don’t worry folks the sky is not falling…:eek:

I dont know what all the fuss is about, if you backup 3 DVDs you own and save them from being destroyed by your kids, you have paid for the product, this is cheap for what you get, again this is just my [B]personal opinion .;)[/B]

This question doesn’t apply to me since I have already purchased the program;

Does this mean for new purchases that the program will shut down in a year if the subscription is not renewed or that you just can’t upgrade to a newer version after a year (or another way, do you own the version you are buying or are you renting the program)?

[quote=Mike89;2054721]This question doesn’t apply to me since I have already purchased the program;

Does this mean for new purchases that the program will shut down in a year if the subscription is not renewed or that you just can’t upgrade to a newer version after a year (or another way, do you own the version you are buying or are you renting the program)?[/quote]
Did you read this post by Fengtao in this thread, it couldnt be explained any better.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/2054527-post14.html All programs do this, there is a difference between updates and upgrades. ( ex: Nero).

[quote=Mike89;2054721]This question doesn’t apply to me since I have already purchased the program;

Does this mean for new purchases that the program will shut down in a year if the subscription is not renewed or that you just can’t upgrade to a newer version after a year (or another way, do you own the version you are buying or are you renting the program)?[/quote]The old EULA says that Fengtao Software owns the program, not the user. I haven’t read the new one yet, not sure if there are any changes. Fengtao’s statement the Alan linked should be all the assurance anyone could want.

I did read it and it’s why I asked the question. A subscription and a license for a year of upgrades could be two different things. A yearly license means after a year, you can’t get any newer upgrades but the version you have will continue working. A subscription could mean after a year the program will no longer work period.

I was asking for clarification of the wording.

Ask Fengtao. I have not seen the word subscription used anywhere by him.

I agree completely with this because how much money have we invested in the DVDs already? Backing them up is a fraction of the cost of our investment and DVDFab is the easiest, best and cheapest long-term solution I have seen for backing up these costly DVDs.

Think of the support alone. This is worth the price of the software. There isn’t a single DVD title that isn’t brought to attention when a problem arises with it. The support is second to none.

I’m glad I purchased my license a few months back and I have no regrets.

If anyone has bought the program before May8th, they have nothing to even think about until the programs lifecycle is over. Nothing lasts forever.

I see I got the word “subscription” in this thread and maybe made an assumption. I’m now taking the new policy to mean new upgrades for a year, not a yearly subscription to use the program.

Ok, apologies in advance for what may be a stupid question…

I purchased Platinum 5.01 the evening of May 8th (US, CST timezone). Am I subject to the new licensing policy or did I make it under the wire to get the lifetime updates? I’m asking because I’m seeing references that state “purchases prior to May 8th” and statements indicating purchases made [I]after[/I] May 8th.

I upgraded to 5.02 this morning and noticed that I still have the Mobile Option so I’m assuming my timing qualified me for the older licensing and upgrade terms. But you know what they say about assumptions…

[quote=Mike89;2054764]I see I got the word “subscription” in this thread and maybe made an assumption. I’m now taking the new policy to mean new upgrades for a year, not a yearly subscription to use the program.[/quote]Mike, I take it the way you do, but a strict reading of the EULA and the terms used in the UI (“license”) could raise the question. Fengtao is watching these threads very closely and will probably respond if he thinks it is necessary.

@TowJam
Click on Help->About and you will see when your license term expires. If it says “never”, you are golden. I think you should be OK from the timing you posted.

[quote=signals;2054773]@TowJam
Click on Help->About and you will see when your license term expires. If it says “never”, you are golden. I think you should be OK from the timing you posted.[/quote]

Thanks! I checked it out and yes, I’M GOLDEN!!!

Woot.

[QUOTE=TowJam;2054790]Thanks! I checked it out and yes, I’M GOLDEN!!!

Woot.[/QUOTE]Golden or Platinum :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=Mike89;2054740]I did read it and it’s why I asked the question. A subscription and a license for a year of upgrades could be two different things. A yearly license means after a year, you can’t get any newer upgrades but the version you have will continue working. A subscription could mean after a year the program will no longer work period.

I was asking for clarification of the wording.[/quote]The text on the website has been updated:
(emphasis added)
[B]Purchase benefits:[/B]

[ul]
[li]A registration key to use the software beyond the evaluation period[/li][li]Include 1 year (renewable) of software upgrades and technical support [/li][B](When license expires, no further upgrades or support will be available, but the product will continue to operate)[/B]
[li]Qualify for reduced rate License Renewal (at least 80% off of product price per year)[/li][/ul][B]New License Policy:[/B]

For many years, Fengtao Software, Inc. has sold its products with lifetime support and upgrades at no additional charge. The increasing costs of maintaining and improving product feature sets and keeping up with ever changing protection schemes regrettably mean this is no longer possible. Purchases made after May 8, 2008 will include a ONE YEAR software license with full upgrades and support. Renewals will be available for a modest fee. Purchases that were made before the policy change date will continue to receive upgrades and support benefits that never expire. These changes will allow us to continue selling our products at reasonable prices. The positive feedback from the renewal system will make us work even harder to keep our products the best. Thanks for your understanding and continued support.

[B]NOTE:[/B] All our products are sold as “try-before-you-buy” software. You can Try them 30 days for free, so you have enough time to verify the program’s functionality. Fengtao Software Inc. doesn’t refund your money if you are not satisfied with our products. We urge you to test it out before you buy it and hope you will want to join our thousands of satisfied users!

To me that answers all questions about this very clearly.

Well done Sigs…

I think that said it all