New LG GSA-H54L burning slow already

Hello,

Just put new drive in replacing ativa lh-1h18a cause it was taking half an hour to burn dvds at 16x so i put in new lg and its taking even longer im ready to return to store are there any settings i need to check besides the dma option to get my burners to burning at the correct speed?

T.I.A

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Just to double-check: you’ve checked DMA, and the current transfer mode for the channel your LG is on is…?

For two drives from seperate manufacturers to be exhibiting the same slowness, there’s got to be something wrong besides the drives. :wink:

Any information you can give about your system setup would be greatly appreciated.

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard JTIMMY. :iagree: :clap:
The Lite-On should burn in around 5.40 mins @ 16x.
The LG slightly quicker at around 5.10 min @ 16x.
This does suggest as does Arachne that UDMA is not correct.
Possibly some cable connection or even wrong cable.
Must be 80 wire - 40 pin variety.
UDMA should be UDMA4.
What about jumper settings?
Have you elimated all of the above?

Hi all.
Well I have the same problem.
I have an LG GSA-4082B working without a problem from March/04.
I’ve bought yesterday an LG GSA-H54L because of Lightscribe labeling, and the 4082B worked without a hitch. Very good drive. But my H54L don’t burn more than 2.4x.
It’s attached to a Promise 133 TX2 IDE controller as is an Asus DVD-rom A616.
All are on their respective channels as master and without slaves on the channels.
The 4082B is on the motherboard IDE DMA ON.
The Asus on the Promise reads with speeds up to 16x when copying data to a SATA drive.
Any thoughts about why the H54L is so slow?
All have Akasha 80 wire cables.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Have you tried swapping the 4082B with the H54L so that the H54L is directly connected to the mobo?

And have you tried more than one brand of media?

[QUOTE=xpect;1907048]Hi all.
Well I have the same problem.
I have an LG GSA-4082B working without a problem from March/04.
I’ve bought yesterday an LG GSA-H54L because of Lightscribe labeling, and the 4082B worked without a hitch. Very good drive. But my H54L don’t burn more than 2.4x.
It’s attached to a Promise 133 TX2 IDE controller as is an Asus DVD-rom A616.
All are on their respective channels as master and without slaves on the channels.
The 4082B is on the motherboard IDE DMA ON.
The Asus on the Promise reads with speeds up to 16x when copying data to a SATA drive.
Any thoughts about why the H54L is so slow?
All have Akasha 80 wire cables.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

that slow speed is almost always related to cabeling … but if you’re on win it might be promise drivers need deinstall-clean install, or atapi standard is to advanced for that promise controller, what chipset is on tx133?

Dont know if this helps, but here goes.
I just bought and installed an LG GSA-H54L. to replace failing burner.
The instructions said to set to 'Slave" position, but that did not work.
So, took a closer look at old burner setting and found it was set at “Cable Select”. Set the new LG at “Cable Select”, and now works fine.
This configuration could be unique to my system, which is about 5-6 years old.