New LG GSA-H10L dvd burner won't recognize ANY blank dvds

I properly installed the new burner and its related software. The burner will play DVDs and burn CDs but won’t recognized any blank DVD as even being there.
The name of the device on the windows explorer is DVD-RAM Drive (E:) before I put in a blank DVD. After I insert a blank DVD, the name changes to CD Drive (E:). When the device is playing a DVD, it says its playing a CD in the properties window.

Hello kmq and welcome to the forum.

Windows treats DVD drives and CD drives as one and the same thing. In fact, Windows uses the same drivers for both. Because of that, it will show a DVD writer as a CD Drive. There is nothing wrong with that.

When you say the drive won’t recognise any blank DVD, did you use a proper burning program like Nero or did you try to browse a blank DVD disc with Windows explorer? I ask because Windows explorer can burn CDs but not DVDs. You have to use a proper burning program for that.

I tried with nero and also with cyberlink power dvd. I selected the dvd burner as the target and inserted the blank memorex dvd disk. The program just didn’t see the disk. Same thing happened in the power dvd program. Thanks.

sorry, but you’re not too clear.
cyberlink PowerDVD is not a DVD burning program.
what do you mean you selected the dvd burner as target? what exactly were you trying to do and with what software ?

Anyway, Memorex really isn’t the best media you can use, you should use Verbatim or TY instead :wink: Have you tried other brands of media?
Does DVD Identifier recognize your disc?

I was trying to make an exact copy of a dvd disk (non-commercial, not copy protected).
I put the original in the dvd-Rom and the blank in the LG dvd-ram burner. I told the program to copy the original disk onto the blank. I tried this with the Nero program and the Cyberlink power producer program (dvd authoring, editing, burning program).

I as a test, I tried copying this same Dvd to the same kind of blank dvd on a friend’s computer and it copied easily. Thanks.

It doesn’t really qualify the discs, unfortunately. Memorex does not manufacture its own media, but rather it gets other manufacturers (usually crappy ones) to make discs for it and rebrands them. Which manufacturer supplies it with discs varies from time to time, so there is no way to tell what you are really getting each time you buy these discs, except that they are probably crappy.

LG’s writers have never liked poor quality media much. For that reason, you can use crappy discs on another brand of writer and they may work, but they may not work with your LG writer. We don’t recommend them anyway, since although they may work, they may not be able to last down the road.

kg’s suggestion about using DVD Identifier is valid, since it will help us find out who made those discs and if they are supported by your writer. It is possible that the discs are not supported by the writer and that is why the writer will not recognise them. If DVD Identifier cannot return any sort of media code, we will then know that your writer does not support those discs.

I just installed an LG GSA-H55N and the same thing is happening to me. The unit reads and burns CD’s. It also plays DVD’s, but absolutely will not recognize a blank DVD. I have tried several manufacturers and DVD-R and DVD+R both to no avail! Anyone have a suggestion? I have sent an email to LG, but I need to burn a few DVD’s in a few days.

TIA!
Jackie

[QUOTE=kmq;1456731]I was trying to make an exact copy of a dvd disk (non-commercial, not copy protected).
I put the original in the dvd-Rom and the blank in the LG dvd-ram burner. I told the program to copy the original disk onto the blank. I tried this with the Nero program and the Cyberlink power producer program (dvd authoring, editing, burning program).

I as a test, I tried copying this same Dvd to the same kind of blank dvd on a friend’s computer and it copied easily. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

What error message did you get.

[quote=karangguni;1457649]It doesn’t really qualify the discs, unfortunately. Memorex does not manufacture its own media, but rather it gets other manufacturers (usually crappy ones) to make discs for it and rebrands them. Which manufacturer supplies it with discs varies from time to time, so there is no way to tell what you are really getting each time you buy these discs, except that they are probably crappy.

LG’s writers have never liked poor quality media much. For that reason, you can use crappy discs on another brand of writer and they may work, but they may not work with your LG writer. We don’t recommend them anyway, since although they may work, they may not be able to last down the road.

kg’s suggestion about using DVD Identifier is valid, since it will help us find out who made those discs and if they are supported by your writer. It is possible that the discs are not supported by the writer and that is why the writer will not recognise them. If DVD Identifier cannot return any sort of media code, we will then know that your writer does not support those discs.[/quote]

I’ve also just installed an LG GSA-H55N and the same thing is happening to me. I’ve also installed dvd identifier and it read the dvd… my dvd drive still changes to cd after i put a blank dvd in… I AM STUCK, Please help… Im contemplating taking it back to the store while i still can.

[quote=AdkGal;1964399]I just installed an LG GSA-H55N and the same thing is happening to me. The unit reads and burns CD’s. It also plays DVD’s, but absolutely will not recognize a blank DVD. I have tried several manufacturers and DVD-R and DVD+R both to no avail! Anyone have a suggestion? I have sent an email to LG, but I need to burn a few DVD’s in a few days.

TIA!
Jackie[/quote]

My problem is resolved with this burner!!!

I found the culprit! I found a firmware update for my old burner on my hard drive. Once this was removed, the new LG burner works perfectly.

Good Luck!
Jackie :clap:

[QUOTE=AdkGal;1973107]My problem is resolved with this burner!!!

I found the culprit! I found a firmware update for my old burner on my hard drive. [B]Once this was removed[/B], the new LG burner works perfectly.

Good Luck!
Jackie :clap:[/QUOTE]

:confused:
May you meant “replaced” or re-flashed"???