New laptop burner, whats the best

ive got a Dell inspiron 1720 with a tsst TS-L632H and i want to upgrade it to a better unit, as it seems a bit finiky about some pressed dvd’s. whats the best laptop burner at the moment

Hello

I would not invest the money for a new (or better) Notebook DVD burner. There may be several problems changing the Notebook burner.

1. The BIOS of the Notebook must support the new device
  2. The firmware of the new burner must be compatible to the BIOS of your Notebook, and at least the firmware must also have the correct settings for the new burner. Notebook burners do the master / slave /cable select settings by firmware. There are no jumpers.
  3. There are not really much Notebook burners on the market with firmware updates. Currently I do not know one manufacturer offering firmwareupdates for Notebook burners.

I’d try the following with your current burner. It may be possible the lens of your burner is some kind of dirty. You should try to clean it. Use a cotton bud dipped in alcohol and clean the lens carefully. The cotton but should not be soaked with alcohol, only a little wet. Alcohol (spirit, Ethylethanol is all great. But do NOT use nail polish)

checked the laser and it’s clean as a whistle. im wondering if its like alot of dvd drives, in that if your have a certain make they tend to be crap at reading lightly scratched discs. last night it was playing up with a Verbatim dual layer disc, while i was trying to watch an avi on the disc. also when you put a disc in the drive there’s alot of seeking before it can access the disc. are TSST drives known for being crap?

[QUOTE=TM;2012579]Hello

I would not invest the money for a new (or better) Notebook DVD burner. There may be several problems changing the Notebook burner.

1. The BIOS of the Notebook must support the new device
  2. The firmware of the new burner must be compatible to the BIOS of your Notebook, and at least the firmware must also have the correct settings for the new burner. Notebook burners do the master / slave /cable select settings by firmware. There are no jumpers.
  3. There are not really much Notebook burners on the market with firmware updates. Currently I do not know one manufacturer offering firmwareupdates for Notebook burners.

I’d try the following with your current burner. It may be possible the lens of your burner is some kind of dirty. You should try to clean it. Use a cotton bud dipped in alcohol and clean the lens carefully. The cotton but should not be soaked with alcohol, only a little wet. Alcohol (spirit, Ethylethanol is all great. But do NOT use nail polish)[/QUOTE]

I am not sure where you got your info on the part “2.” and “3.” But there are replacement drives out there for notebooks you have to do some work and find them. For number three is really a stretch if I have to say so myself. Companies that sell the notebooks and laptops have firmware updates for their hardware otherwise why would they have updates on their sites. You know aftermarkets makers of notebook and laptop slim drives do have firmware updates to their units…so to say they don’t is misleading…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2016753]I am not sure where you got your info on the part “2.” and “3.” But there are replacement drives out there for notebooks you have to do some work and find them. For number three is really a stretch if I have to say so myself. Companies that sell the notebooks and laptops have firmware updates for their hardware otherwise why would they have updates on their sites. You know aftermarkets makers of notebook and laptop slim drives do have firmware updates to their units…so to say they don’t is misleading…[/QUOTE]

You asked for part 2 and 3 :slight_smile:

Part 2:
For example, to use the TEAC DV-W24E or DV-W28E in a Samsung P30 Notebook you need the 09NK BIOS update. Check this: http://www.samsungpc.com/products/p30_p35/p30_p35_bios/p30_bios.htm

This is only one example I know very good, and have an appropriate link…

Part 3:
Most Notebook manuafacturers offers only firmware updates for ODDs if there is a real compatibility problem i.e. with a copy protected game or DVD viedo compatibility issues. The Notebook ODD manufacturers does not offer firmware for the drive. You can try to find firmware for TEAC, Panasonic or TSST on their websites. I don’t think you’ll find one.
If your notebook manufacturer updates the firmware of your drive than you are very lucky, this is unusual, since the drive manufacturer demands money from the notebook manufacturer for the firmware updates. And that is the easies way to save money.

If you got firmware updates for your notebook drive, I’d get exactly the same drive to have the great frimware support for the future. My notebook ODD still has the original firmware from the day I bought my notebook.