New kind of copy-protection? - The perishable DVD disc!

I just posted the article New kind of copy-protection? - The perishable DVD disc!.

An interesting article can be found on the New York Times website. A New York company, Flexplay, has developed a disc that has a life span of 60 hours maximum. After this time the disc will become…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/4875-New-kind-of-copy-protection---The-perishable-DVD-disc.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/4875-New-kind-of-copy-protection---The-perishable-DVD-disc.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

This and these kind od copyprotection will never hit the market imho. NO BODY FUCKS WITH FAIRUSE. If it does I`ll never buy anything again that comes from the movie or music scene. Nobody Fucks with ViRuZ -signed off-

Hmm,… looks like one of those DVD concepts, play 3 times before player makes it unplayable by marking the disc or something. Just that I never heared weather they build that concept or not. Probably not. :slight_smile: If they can make these CDs and DVDs that last for 8 hours after opening cheap… why not? They can be nice for promoting the real CD/DVD, but also for rental usage. So in the last case, it saves the customer from having to return the rented disc. And perhaps it can be used for convidential information. This DVD will self destruct :+

Make sure you have made a backup inside these 9 hours? =)

yup.

As if 8 hours isn’t enough time to rip a copy to the hard drive, then burn it out whenever you want (assuming the content is even worth saving)… I wonder if gej’s next codec will be called Flexplay;) ? Another problem would be packaging and handling…non-airtight packages or mishandling could easily cause the media to cloud before it’s ever opened…

Why not put WINDOWS on a disc that last 48 hours, then at least you know WHY it is not working anymore … ;);):wink:

Isnt that how long windows works for anyway?

What u manage to get 48 hours use on windows, amazing, how do you do it :4

you wish :4

Sounds like divx.

Reminds me of that concept they once introduced for VHS-tapes. You could watch them twice (an internal counter keeps track of the number of times you watched it), then it would erase itself and you’d have a blank videotape. I don’t recall the name. Anyway, using a paperclip, you could easily disable the ‘counter’, and watch the movie as many times as you like. I bet something like this will also happen for the DVD-version. :7

guess that’s the last time I submit a news story.

oops, that came out wrong. Guess I shouldn’t be smoking and typing at the same time. At last! I get a news story submitted or something like that. but anyways, it’s cool from the high tech, Mission Impossible stand point, but it doesn’t stop anyone from ripping a copy of it to there harddrive. Or do you think it might be possible to put in some sort of errors or something that might slow down making a good copy of it? probably a forum topic, no? thanks, and you can delete my above post, if you would.

attn: TBZ It does not sound like divx. Divx was a regular dvd with protection on it that was disabled when you wanted to watch it (provided you pay the fee). It had nothing to do with the dye between the layers. The divx dics were just like regular dvd discs but had the subscription code built in. Not at all like these. Divx sucked and didn’t last long and niether will this! ** Do not confuse the dvd format “divx” with the video codec “DivX;-)”**

no prob here. just gimme the 8-hour life disc with a screening sample of James Bond, and i’ll take it home, rip me a copy, then let it fry itself out of existance. and they say it’s not a perfect world… :wink:

I’d wonder if these DVDs are recycleable? :9 I could imagine that if these were used for renting (no return, since they become unreadable), there would be a large percentage of the garbage dump composed of these disposable DVDs! Maybe someday they will make the DVD totally self destruct after a month, just like the biodegradable shopping bags. :d

you could get the green party on your side with this story i dont think they would want dvds just thrown away. “Will someone think of the children!”

Anyway, using a paperclip, you could easily disable the ‘counter’, and watch the movie as many times as you like. I bet something like this will also happen for the DVD-version.
I wouldn’t count on it. This concept is based on a chemical reaction and that’s not something you will slow down easily. As for the remarks that eight hours is enough time to rip a movie; what they are supposing is that anyone making a review of a movie will really want to watch is and that the movie is ripped AFTERWARDS, quite possibly by someone else. This way you are certain that won’t happen.