New ipad, ipad2, kindle fire

vbimport

Okay, I have been seriously thinking of getting one of the aforementioned. Obviously each one has their pros and cons.

What I am looking for:

An alternate machine to the home PC to browse the net, stream video from netflix (and regular free hulu if possible) and maybe some small text/book storage. Even though it’s portable I pretty much plan on using it exclusively at home. Not really interested in camera features (my little cannon digital camera can outdo them all), so that’s not a biggie to me.

I have done some research and this is what I have found thus far:

New Ipad

Pros: sharpest digital display, 10" display, has all the apps I want, 16 GB Storage

Cons: I have heard it gets blazing hot, cost at $500 is by far the most expensive, size

Ipad 2

Pros: More cost effective at $400, 10" display, has all the apps I want, 16GB storage

Cons: Still more expensive than the kindle fire, display not as sharp as the new ipad, size

Kindle Fire

Pros: Cheapest by far at $200, has netflix streaming app and a few others that I want, most compact of the bunch, super durable “gorilla glass”

Cons: smallest screen of the bunch at 7 inches, I have heard it’s not really much of an i-net machine compared to the ipad, only 8GB storage (not that I will be using much storage), certain apps not yet available for it.

Anyways, these are the things I have found in my research. Given what I am looking for, which one do folks think would be best for me?

From the above, I would defenitely chose the new iPad but personally i don’t like the boxed apple system.

An Android tablet would be no alternative for you? This would be by personal choice, a Samsung Galaxy tablet for example.

[QUOTE=H3rB3i;2635480]From the above, I would defenitely chose the new iPad but personally i don’t like the boxed apple system.

An Android tablet would be no alternative for you? This would be by personal choice, a Samsung Galaxy tablet for example.[/QUOTE]

Part of it is that there are certain apps available for the ipad that to my knowledge are not available for the other two.

A quick way to check is search for the Apps you’re interested in at http://play.google.com/ The vast majority of apps it lists work with both Android Smarphones and Tablets (at least every single on I ever tried works fine on my Xperia Ray phone), although some work better on a full size tablet (e.g. on-screen Piano apps.)

So far pretty much every type of app I could think of was available on my phone. On the other hand, I do have one App that ain’t available on the iPhone/iPad :slight_smile: It’s “Smart App Protector” a pin-lock app to pin/pattern lock user-selected apps. I only found out when a friend asked me if I could get this app for his iPad to stop children from going into certain Apps, such as Mail. To my surprise, I couldn’t find this app, let alone a similar app in Apple’s App Store.

I agree with Seán, I also found any app was thinking of in playstore.

Apart from that it’s much easier to get root access on a Android device than Jailbreaking iOS devices.

One more thing I really like is the possibility to extend the available memory pretty easy by putting in a SD or miroSD card. There are also adapters available which allow you to connect USB sticks, not sure if you can get such adapters for iOS devices.

Sounds good. Do I need to buy a flash player app for the android tablets and ipad?

Also this seems to be the comparable model Android, am I correct?

[QUOTE=Jesterrace;2635506]Sounds good. Do I need to buy a flash player app for the android tablets and ipad?[/QUOTE]

With Android, you just need to get the Adobe Flash App, which is a free download.

With an iPad, you need to get an alternative web browser App that supports Flash, such as iSwifter or Photon Flash browser, although many of these browsers are pay-only. From what I’ve read, the Flash compatibility varies depending on the Flash content. A work around in many cases is to try to get an App for the website that uses flash, as many Flash based websites have an App for the iPhone and iPad to cater for these users. For example, YouTube uses Flash, but there is a dedicated YouTube App for the iPhone/iPad as well as Android devices.

Yeah!
I agree with the others that Ipad has a few
better features. Overall having used both ios,
and android tablets. I prefer the android tablets
because they are more affordable,support flash
video,and have support skype app , which allows you
to use the camera to speak to others. The
only difference is apple offers a few more special
effects. I think that soon android will add them.
For me save the money.
Zap:)

Here’s one: http://www.bensoutlet.com/products/toshiba-8gb-thrive I’m thinking about getting. Costs the same as a Kindle, but a bit more feature-ful.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2635526]Here’s one: http://www.bensoutlet.com/products/toshiba-8gb-thrive I’m thinking about getting. Costs the same as a Kindle, but a bit more feature-ful.[/QUOTE]
Got it, well ordered it at least.

Thanks for your suggestions guys, I am leaning toward one of the androids as it looks like it will do everything that I want and add a couple of cool features (ie live video communication).

Incidentally any major difference between the ones from Asus and the ones from Samsung? Asus has some that are pretty cheap for comparable features:

What led me to the Toshiba was its use of full sized ports. (USB, HDMI and SD are all normal sized, has an extra USB Mini too). I would imagine they all run about the same though, 10.1", nVidia 2 core processor, nVidia graphics, upgrade-able to Ice Cream Sandwich, etc…

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2635528]Got it, well ordered it at least.[/QUOTE]

Looks nice, but refurbs make me nervous. I have had mixed results with refurb products throughout the years.

1saleaday just dropped it to $199.99. But it is a re-furb. Aside from the shorter warranty, I’ve always thought re-furbs might actually be a bit better in that in the re-furb process they actually [I]do [/I]test them. Of course it all depends on why they ended up there in the first place.

[QUOTE=Jesterrace;2635678]Incidentally any major difference between the ones from Asus and the ones from Samsung? Asus has some that are pretty cheap for comparable features:

Typically the Asus have USB hosting, which means the tablet can drive a USB printer,USB HD,USB thumb drive & expandable storage & etc.

Typically, the Samsungs have a gorilla glass screen, and generally a little lighter.

[QUOTE=debro;2635792]Typically the Asus have USB hosting, which means the tablet can drive a USB printer,USB HD,USB thumb drive & expandable storage & etc.

Typically, the Samsungs have a gorilla glass screen, and generally a little lighter.[/QUOTE]

Interesting, so with the Asus I get USB device hookups and with the Samsung I get a more scratch resistant screen?

[QUOTE=Jesterrace;2635887]Interesting, so with the Asus I get USB device hookups and with the Samsung I get a more scratch resistant screen?[/QUOTE]
I dropped my galaxy S1 (phone) on a concrete footpath … it landed face down and scratched the plastic surround - the screen is perfectly fine. I also dropped it on a tile floor, the base case went flying, the battery went flying, and the phone was spinning on the ground. I was annoyed because I had to wait a long time for the phone to reboot (CFW takes awhile) and I was waiting for a phone call. Everything still works fine, and the screen is blemish free :slight_smile:

I’ve also dropped my galaxy tab a few times, typically it lands corner first though, rather than face first. To date, it looks like the dog has chewed one corner, but the screen is totally blemish free.

That was the first generation of galaxy devices … I think they’re up to generation 3 or 4 now, and they’ve got the improved corning gorilla glass 2, which is something like 50% stronger again for the same screen thickness.

It’s amazing that he had to hit it twice with a nail-punch+hammer to break it.

The number of iphones that I see with shattered screen corners and/or just written off is absolutely amazing
I wouldn’t buy a phone/tablet without gorilla glass, now that I know it’s available.

It’s a tough call, on the one hand the option of being able to have USB options would be a big plus, on the other hand, like you I really recognize the value of having a tough as nails screen. Wish I could have both.

[QUOTE=Jesterrace;2635961]It’s a tough call, on the one hand the option of being able to have USB options would be a big plus, on the other hand, like you I really recognize the value of having a tough as nails screen. Wish I could have both.[/QUOTE]

You can buy an addional USB adapter then you have both :wink: