New install of drive and software?

vbimport

Thanks to all who provide great feedback to us beginners…
Did a search but found only bits and pieces of info…

Question: Buying new Benq 1640 to replace old Lite-on CD writer which will be moved to kids computer. I also have old OEM version of Nero 4 or 5??

Any suggestions to make sure install goes well.
My searching found these comments…
Uninstall all old software and old drive…use uninstall program in XP Pro
Was told to uninstall the secordary channel in device manager and let windows reinstall. both my Lite-on CD writer (#1 on 2nd channel) and my DVD player (#2 on 2nd channel) is on this channel. Would this hurt my DVD drivers, etc…
Any warning about uninstall of Nero ( version 5 I think)?

Any other suggestions…

It seems in reading some threads that proper install the first time leads to better success rate…

Puter info:
P4-2.4 intel board and chipset.
160G WD
Lite-on DVD
Lite-on CDRW moving to other computer
Floppy ??? Why do I have this…
512 memory
XP PRO opering system…

Just getting started in video and my first DVD burner.
Looking for a TV card next…

Thanks for help.

If you are upgrading the software, I do recommend removing the old software/hardware first. It won’t hurt anything to remove devices on your primary and/or secondary ide’s. You can remove all of them, install your new drive, and reboot, and windows will autodetect everything, and it should all work just fine.

Thanks for your comments…
To all newbies…This drive installed fine, works great, and yes it is from NewEgg and China made…

One question…Bought OEM so no manual…could not find on website…any suggestions and it appears that the light on the drive is on as long as media is in the tray…is that correct?

Overall, looks to be a great drive and early tests look good.
By far the quietest drive I have had…

Yo texbiggs-

You are on your way - and it looks like you did everything right-

Look in the BenQ sub forum for more information and help from fellow freaks that actually have the BenQ and who can answer a lot of your questions - or do like I do - read, read, read - then read some more - surprising what you can learn in here-

Happy Burnin’

Mike