New i5 setup

vbimport

I’m going to upgrade my oldie C2D E8400 to a new i5, next month, I made myself a nice setup but would like to have your opinion

INTEL CORE i5 3450 (3.1GHZ) SKT 1155
ASUS P8Z77-M PRO
CORSAIR KIT 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ VENGEANCE LP
ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER i30

I was expecting i5-3330 to be cheaper than i5-3450, but I guess I was wrong.

I want as many USB 3.0 ports as possible, so I chose this board, because it has 4 on the back panel, plus you can add an ASUS bracket with 2 more.

I’m not convinced that I made the best choices here. I won’t be overclocking and I’m not a big gamer (ocasional gamer). If I could decrease the budget without sacrificing performance, that would be nice.

Any reason for the aftermarket cooler? If you’re not OCing the stock cooler should be fine. I’m building a Micro ATX Ivy Bridge (i3 3225) and am going with the Intel cooler. My build is for HTPC so I went the extra few bucks to get the HD4000 graphics.

I hate the stock cooler. It gets noisy with the time, and gets covered with dust easily. I work everyday with computers using stock coolers and I really hate them.

Anyone have issues with the 2.2tb barrier w/ windows 7? I built an i5/3570 system for a friend and could NOT get the p8z77v lk motherboard to recognize and format a single partition of 3tb… does it NOT come with the stock uefi firmware that allows this?

Turning off legacy mode bios only boots the system back to the bios EVERY time…

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2655343]Anyone have issues with the 2.2tb barrier w/ windows 7? I built an i5/3570 system for a friend and could NOT get the p8z77v lk motherboard to recognize and format a single partition of 3tb… does it NOT come with the stock uefi firmware that allows this?

Turning off legacy mode bios only boots the system back to the bios EVERY time…[/QUOTE]Non legacy mode is for Windows 8, so legacy mode needs to be enabled for Win7.

Did you create the partition as type “GPT” as MBR will only allow 2.2TB.

I think you can fix it by using the “Disc Unlocker utility” from this page.

Also, you’ll need to boot the Win7 install in UEFI mode. So press F8 to get the boot menu and select UEFI mode.

I’ve gone into recovery mode and set the drive to gpt and it shows the whole drive… but it installed as a 2tb plus 800gb unutilized space…
So, you need to press “F8” as the windows 7 disk boots and select uefi after the drive is set in gpt?

Why does the motherboard manual not explicitly say this?!? ugh…

I think hydro cooling is a much better way to go. Fan cooling is way too noisy and just doesn’t do the same job.

agree

cooler master 120mm heat-sink coolers are good

[QUOTE=vvk1987;2662829]cooler master 120mm heat-sink coolers are good[/QUOTE]

Got a Arctic Freezer 13.

[QUOTE=Lvsitano;2662835]Got a Arctic Freezer 13.[/QUOTE]I have one of those cooling a 2600K and it works well.