New here CPU Temps up

vbimport

Hi, I an new here and I am not really a tech person but I need some advice. I have a Gateway GT5062E Desktop Computer. I use SpeedFan to watch its status; recently the CPU temperature has gone from the 40 to 60 when idle. I have cleaned the tower and checked the psu fan and the case fans they are operating without a problem and respond to SpeedFan. I noticed that even after cooling some the heatsink is hot, the heat sink has no fan only coils. I guess I have several questions:
Is this hot for an Intel 3.06 GHz Pentium 4 Processor 524 supporting Hyper-Threading Technology with an MS-7248 motherboard.
• Chipset consisting of:
• MCH (northbridge): ATI RC410 Rev. A12
• ICH (southbridge): ATI SB450 Rev. A13
• Supports Intel® processors in an LGA775 package
• System bus support of 800/533 MHz
• Memory support for DDR2 533/667 MHz single channel DIMMs, expandable up to 2 GB
• Integrated video
• Integrated Realtek 8.1 channel audio subsystem
• Integrated 10/100 LAN
• One ×16 PCI Express, one ×1 PCI Express, and two PCI conventional add-in card slots
Do you think I could install a CPU fan on this heatsink? .
Should I try to change the thermal paste?
Should I try to replace the heatsink and get one with a fan?
Any advice in the plainest terms would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

Hi and Welcomequote=kwojack;2091577 recently the CPU temperature has gone from the 40 to 60 when idle. I have cleaned the tower and checked the psu fan and the case fans they are operating without a problem and respond to SpeedFan. I noticed that even after cooling some the heatsink is hot, the heat sink has no fan only coils.[/quote]Is this the heatsink of the CPU, or is this the heatsink of another mainboard component?
I am really surprised if a passive cooler were installed on a PIV CPU, which is known to generate much heat.

Do you think I could install a CPU fan on this heatsink? .
Should I try to change the thermal paste?
Should I try to replace the heatsink and get one with a fan?
Any advice in the plainest terms would be appreciated. Thank you so much.
If this is really the CPU that is cooled only with a heatsink without a fan installed, I would at least install a fan.

Michael

I would also use a different program to monitor your temps, it might be fine for your P4 but I found speedfan unreliable with my Q6600. OCCT is what I primarily use.

Hi, I downloaded OCCT and linked it to SpeedFan to monitor voltage and temps. Not quite sure how to use this program, will look it up.

Mciahel, The heatsink on this retail, prebiult, computer has only fins but the way the front case fan is set up it blows across the heatsink, doesn’t work very well in my opinion. However, I am not techy enough to build a custom computer.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to help.
Kathy

Hi,[QUOTE=kwojack;2091907]
Mciahel, The heatsink on this retail, prebiult, computer has only fins but the way the front case fan is set up it blows across the heatsink, doesn’t work very well in my opinion.[/QUOTE]This sounds like a BTX configuration. Have a look here if you can see some similarities: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTX_(form_factor)

Michael

Here it is I believe :
http://support.gateway.com/s/CASES/WME1T493-001/WME1T493-001iv.shtml

uBTX.
Intake fan, heatsink and rear exhaust fan.

If this machine has suddenly started running these high temps and hasn’t been moved to a different location I would …

1. Check the temps in BIOS if supported.
    IOW, get a second opinion. PC Wizard will monitor temps.
    Check also for fan speed monitoring and report back.

2. Check for dust build-up esp on the CPU heatsink. Blow it out with canned air.
    Some disassembly may be required to do this properly.

3. Verify that all fans are working.

4. If all of the above looks OK, you could try, with the side panel removed, directing a desk fan at the interior of the computer.
    If the temps stay down, let’s say in the low to mid forties, you most likely have a case air flow problem.
    You then would need to determine which fan or fans need replacing or what is blocking air flow.

5. If none of the above makes any difference, I would look at refreshing the heatsink-to-CPU thermal paste.
    While not a task for the ham-handed, this requires some knowledge but it is not brain surgery. Most first-timers can read their way through it.

Do the easy stuff first.

Hi, and thanks. Well here is what I have done since my last posts:

Cleaned out the few dust pieces I could see in the BTX case. Read the info Mciahel suggested.

Checked Bios settings

Installed new case front fan and changed out the thermal paste on the current heatsink. Wasn’t hard just made me a little nervous. Always told Dad “I should have been a boy”.

Rechecked fan connections

Computer is running at 46 when doing virus scan and surfing the net at the same time. Also running both OCCT and SpeedFan.

I think this is ok, what do you think for now.
Kathy

Nice work.
46°C is a significant improvement.
Your ambient temperature must be around 90°F (+/-) ?