New hardware suggestions?

vbimport

Hi just looking to make some changes but would like some feedback. My current configuration:
SIS K7SEM
Athlon @ 1526
520mb 133
Creative Audigy Platinum
ATI 64mb VIVO W/remote
JLMS XJ-HD166s/ slave ide1
Lite-On 48125w/master ide2
Maxtor 60gb 7200/master ide1
Maxtor 40gb 7200/slave ide2
I would like to add another burner, a Cyberdrive CW078D
But have no ide left. I was thinking of putting one of my hdd’s in a external case and using it with a USB but i’m wondering about speed while accessing the drive and cost.
I am also considering a pci to add ide slots, but was concerned about heat in my case if I add more hardware, and slowing the system also. Any suggestions would be appreciated.:confused:

Get a cheap Promise ATA100 PCI controller, put the 2 HDs on the controller, then hook the optical drives to the mobo IDEs. If you’re concerned about heat, the best investment is to get a better case. You can always add more fans if you have a pretty good case already. What’s your current case?

Here’s the very popular Antec/Chieftec full tower for $58 shipped. There’s also the aluminum version w/ window for $75.

Or you can choose from the list.

Stoner is absolutely right about the IDE controller (unless there are no PCI slots free anymore).

If you are a little creative, you should be able to “mod” a fan into your case to cool your harddisks…

If you’re out of fan places and don’t want to drill your case, then a slot fan (http://www.xpcgear.com/pcbalbear.html) might be something for you.

I had one and a while and it worked very good.

Thanks for the assistance, I’m wondering if lack of cooling is what did in my 40gb Western hdd ?
I think the thing to do is get a new case, but was wondering if a cooling rack for hdd’s a worth while investment? and do you need a special case to hold it?

you could always leave side panels of your case off and have a small fan blowing right in there:D

Originally posted by kwkard
you could always leave side panels of your case off and have a small fan blowing right in there:D

Ok, I know you are just trying to cut costs for me here but I would still have to buy the fan!:slight_smile:

One other thing, Is there any difference between the ata133 and
ata100 controllers?

Originally posted by nmpaulcp
One other thing, Is there any difference between the ata133 and
ata100 controllers?

Well ATA100 controller can only handle 100MB/Sec (133 can handle up to 133MB/Sec)… not that there are IDE drives reaching these awesome speeds btw…

Besides that, ATA133 controllers can address larger harddisks. Most ATA100 controllers can access toch larger harddisks as well, but they need a BIOS update. If that doesn’t work, there’s always a workaround (disk managment software).