New Hardware Reliability

vbimport

After Browsing the forums recently I have noticed that a number of people have been RMAing equipment from usually reliable manufacturers.

This year I, I built my new computer using brand new quality components from reputable stockists, during the building I had to RMA the following components:

1x Seagate ST3120026AS 120 GB Sata hard drive that kept failing seatools diagnostic tests;

2x sets of 1GB Corsair Twinx RAM that kept failing memory write testing; and

More recently an NEC 2510A DVD-RW that kept making coasters.

Thankfully as I normally deal with reputable suppliers I had no problem RMAing the stuff, and they actually confirmed that everything I had sent back was faulty.

I have been building computers and playing with hardware for a lot of years, and never have had this level of faulty new equipment being supplied before. Reading around these forums and others, it seems others seem to be having problems with new hardware too.

It my be my imagination, but does there seem to be an increasing higher failure of new hardware these days than there used to be?

Discussion is welcome :slight_smile:

I’d say that most h/w failures is caused my the user, at least that’s my experience.
Take hard drives for instance, how many does actually think about cooling them? Even though most are rated to operate up to 55C or it significantly shortens the drives life span having it operate at that temperature. Below 40C is what I recommend and very few drives still fails under those conditions. As for RAM I’ve just seen memory sticks that gone bad due to poor handling, some mainboards and/or PSUs may be a bit picky about brands/sticks though. I guess heat could cause faults too incause you have a warm case and the same goes for optical drives.
These are my experiences in general and this doesn’t include DOA which obviously is not caused by the user.
Not saying that you’re the cause but many seems to forget things like this, you might want to check your PSU.
//Danne

I think you’ve missed my point DiiZzy, this isn’t a cry for help, and my PSU is just fine and is capable of supplying the current/voltage requirments of a modern PC.

I do concur about the needs for adequate ventilation and cooling, generally I aim for an ambient case temp of between 25~32 degrees celsius, and ensure there is sufficient clean airflow over components like hard and optical drives etc. :slight_smile:

When I assemble I always use appropriate anti-static procedures and assemble on an anti static bench.

This doesn’t mean a lot of failures are not caused by end users doing silly things and I’ve seen a lot of that, but I’m refering to stuff that’s DOA.