New Hardware arrangement. IDE setup help

vbimport

Hi

I have an old Plex 1210A, but it's still awesome, but I may get a Liteon here as well. What I may do is put both drives in the same machine with no cdrom. Just use the other drive for read depending on which cdrw I write with.

This is all on my second comp which has 2 hard drives on it. I'm going to reinstall the OS, so given this arrangement how would you set up the IDE assignment for each device. I guess I'm wondering would there be any conflice IDE-wise with the 2 cdrw's on a certain IDE assignment.

thanks for the help.

you’ll probably find that the cd-rw’s dont conflict, rather, the 2 hard drives will probably give you troubles. i suggest a search on the forum to find the optimal ide placement. otherwise, i suggest keeping the hard drives off the same channel, based on what i’ve read here.

You know what would be best, to have on one channel a burner and HD, and the other channel the other HD and burner. That way when you burn from one HD to the other, say HD on Channel 1, you can burn to CD-RW on channel 2, and CD to CD will be good too. Just burn to the opposite channel… I hope what I said is understandable, I’m too tired… :slight_smile:

This is all on my second comp which has 2 hard drives on it. I’m going to reinstall the OS, so given this arrangement how would you set up the IDE assignment for each device. I guess I’m wondering would there be any conflice IDE-wise with the 2 cdrw’s on a certain IDE assignment.

In spite of abundant mis-informed folks who spout the contrary, there is no reason not to put them, (or anything else), on the same IDE channel. A lot depends on your own hardware and busmaster drivers, etc, etc. There is no right answer to this question other than to try it and see. You should be able to do 32x , or more, on-the-fly copies on the secondary channel, assuming both drives are up to it. I also have 2 HDs, on the primary channel, and this setup works great. I can copy from anywhere to anywhere at far greater speeds than the CDRW drives can handle. HD to HD is about 1.2GB per minute and CD to CD is up to 40x, depending on what is being copied. The only limitation I have encountered thus far is trying to burn to 2 CDRW drives at once, this does not work so good on the same channel.

For most people this is how they would arrange their drives:

Primary Master: HDD (OS) (or just plain faster, like 7200RPM)
Primary Slave: HDD (data)
Secondary Master: Lite-On (or some other faster primary disc drive)
Secondary Slave: Plextor

This will aloow your Primary cable to be able to stay on UDMA 5 (ATA 100), allowing maximum performance. However, this type of config is not too good with on-the-fly copying, because IDE has a major slowdown when transfering between devices on the same cable. The other option is to switch between the data HDD with the Lite-on, however, if you do, because each IDE cable will automatically move to the speed of its slowest device, you’re only gonna get UDMA 2 for both cables (that’s ATA 33). So suggest going with the first config.

Hope this helps
DFourthHorseman

Oops, that’s right, the channel will run @ the speed of the slowest device attached to it… told ya I was tired. :smiley: Well what I said originally will only be good if all your devices are UDMA33, which is very unlikely. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by dfourthhorseman
[B]For most people this is how they would arrange their drives:

Primary Master: HDD (OS) (or just plain faster, like 7200RPM)
Primary Slave: HDD (data)
Secondary Master: Lite-On (or some other faster primary disc drive)
Secondary Slave: Plextor

This will aloow your Primary cable to be able to stay on UDMA 5 (ATA 100), allowing maximum performance. However, this type of config is not too good with on-the-fly copying, because IDE has a major slowdown when transfering between devices on the same cable. The other option is to switch between the data HDD with the Lite-on, however, if you do, because each IDE cable will automatically move to the speed of its slowest device, you’re only gonna get UDMA 2 for both cables (that’s ATA 33). So suggest going with the first config.

Hope this helps
DFourthHorseman [/B]

Thanks all that was some good info.

I prob will keep HD’s on primary. However, I guess the other could work because like I said this is my secondary comp… a little older and the HD’s are not ATA 100.

thanks again.

I recommend:

PM - HDD

PS - Burner

SM - Burner

SS - HDD

I recommend:
PM - HDD

PS - Burner

SM - Burner

SS - HDD

You do realize that with the setup that the guy would have both his HDD running under ATA/33, not ATA/100, which would reduce the performance by a lot, rite? This is only good with someone who uses d pc for almost nothing but on-the-fly copy, everything else would be really slow, even copying stuff from the CD-RW drives to the HDD on the same cable.

DFourthHorseman

Well, my friend has a setup like i mentioned above.

I didn’t see any notable difference in performance.

Also, bukky said that his HDDs are not ATA/100.

I assume they are ATA/66 or ATA/33.

I don’t think there will be any difference.

Depends on what he does, u kno? Like if he does just some average games, web surfin, and word proccessing, most ppl probably can’t notice. But heavy memory extensive programs, especially if he doesn’t have a lot of RAM, it’ll start to show, especially in benchmarking programs like, PCMark, 3DMark, and SiSoft SANDRA.

DFourthHorseman