New Hard drive problems

Hi My Name is Derek, and yes, i am new to this site.

I recently bought a western digital caviar 750 GB SATA Hard Drive for my computer. My master Hard drive is a Maxtor 160gb ATA HD.

Is there some way i can connect my master/slave cable to both Hard drives at once? I noticed that both HD’s have different connectors, hince the ATA and SATA part. If i cant connect the two, is there some way i can transfer my data from the Maxtor to the Western SATA HD? then once it is all transfered, i can hook up the Western SATA as my master/primary drive?

Or if there are any other solutions, please let me know… i am in a pickle… and i dont want my money to go to waste after buying this HD.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!!

Derek

For SATA drives you NEED sata connectors and the regarding SATA power cables/connectors.
There are adaptors available, but be careful: some only come with “small” SATA power connectors.

Welcome to the forum. When you are ready to transfer your data from one HDD to the other, I would use the WesternDigital transfer tool software. If your hard drive came with it then use it otherwise go to the web site of WD and download it there, all you have to have is the make and model number to search thier site. Good Luck

[QUOTE=chef;1961722]For SATA drives you NEED sata connectors and the regarding SATA power cables/connectors.
There are adaptors available, but be careful: some only come with “small” SATA power connectors.[/QUOTE]

so i can find a ATA cable that splits into two ata ends and there is an adapter that fits on to the end of one of the ATA ends, that can be SATA?
(sorry if that sounds confusing)

Where can i find these adapters? do u know of any good sites/stores? Like Tiger direct

Just search online for “PATA to SATA adaptor” but don’t expect miracles because most of them are not that reliable. :frowning:

[QUOTE=chef;1961869]Just search online for “PATA to SATA adaptor” but don’t expect miracles because most of them are not that reliable. :([/QUOTE]

Thank you very much.

I went out and bought a USB2.0 to SATA Cable bridge.

But now i have a new problem… I installed it properly… but now when i look at " My Computer" to find the “Usb Mass Storage Device” it doesnt show that it is there… i went under Control Panel > settings> Hardware> Device Manger> Usb serial bus controller> Usb Mass Storage Device is found there and it says it is working properly, but it doesnt show up… is there something im not doing right? like… formatting the Hard drive or something?

Thanks!!

alright well i sorta found the answer to my last question. I do need to format the HD and Reportion it… but heres the things… I ordered my HD online… so it didnt have a Formatting disk that came with it… is there something i can Download off of the Western Digital site?

The HD is western digital caviar 750 GB SATA Hard Drive

If u find a link of what i can Download, let me know… thanks

[QUOTE=Dman123isback;1961544]Hi My Name is Derek, and yes, i am new to this site.

I recently bought a western digital caviar 750 GB SATA Hard Drive for my computer. My master Hard drive is a Maxtor 160gb ATA HD.

Is there some way i can connect my master/slave cable to both Hard drives at once? I noticed that both HD’s have different connectors, hince the ATA and SATA part. If i cant connect the two, is there some way i can transfer my data from the Maxtor to the Western SATA HD? then once it is all transfered, i can hook up the Western SATA as my master/primary drive?

Or if there are any other solutions, please let me know… i am in a pickle… and i dont want my money to go to waste after buying this HD.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!!

Derek[/QUOTE]Are you wanting to move your OS (operating system) to this new SATA drive? And all the files?

You can use your Windows disc to partition the drive. Well i know you can with XP disc.

If your operating system is XP you can format your drive with the computer managent tools. To do this right click on the MY computer icon,select manage,then a new window will appear. Look for Disk management,click on the icon beside this and all of the drives attached to your computer will show in a window on the right. Find your new drive in the window then right click on it and select FORMAT. Good Luck

[QUOTE=JDman;1962321]If your operating system is XP you can format your drive with the computer managent tools. To do this right click on the MY computer icon,select manage,then a new window will appear. Look for Disk management,click on the icon beside this and all of the drives attached to your computer will show in a window on the right. Find your new drive in the window then right click on it and select FORMAT. Good Luck[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys!! that was the last piece i was missing :smiley:

now all is well :slight_smile: back to gaming :smiley: