New guy needs help with slow burn speeds

Glad to find this place…hopefully you guys can help!

I am having a problem with the speed of my DVD burns, as well as the time it takes to transcode.

My computer
HP Pentium 4
1.60 GHz of memory
512 MB RAM
Running XP Home Ed. SP2
70 GB Internal HD
250 GB External HC

My burner
Lite-On DVD-RW DRW-6S160P
burn speeds to 16x

Media I use
Maxell DVD+R 16x 4.7 GB

I use Nero for my transcoding and burning of AVI files. To transcode a standard 2-hour movie, it takes my system at a MINIMUM, 5.5 hours.

That is issue #1.

Issue #2 is the time it takes to burn.

To explain how slow my speed is, let me give an example from earlier today. I have a set of VOB files on my external drive. I used Nero Burning ROM for the process. The duration of the video was 106 minutes, and it took me 90 minutes to burn.

I have checked the IDE settings and they are correct - always have been. I am thinking from some googling, that my external HD may be what is causing my problem. The External HD is plugged directly into the Computer on a main USB port. Is there something I need to do with that?

I am totally clueless and at my wits end…any help is appreciated.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Issue #1: It is pretty normal because nero does a conversion from avi to video DVD (a different format) and mpeg encoding is a rather heavy process that requires a lot of CPU power.

Issue #2: Almost certainly you have DMA disabled. Solution: enable DMA (see the link in my signature for more details) :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply…

My DMA has always been enabled…but I checked out your link and went through the process again just to be sure, and it was still enabled.

As to the transcoding, that makes me feel better…I know a faster processor would benefit me, but it is what it is.

DO you have any other suggestions on the burning speed issue?

Hi,

please report back what is shown as Current Transfer Mode for all your drives.

Also check whether your USB ports are USB 2.0 HiSpeed capable (some computers of that era were not). Get HDTune (from HDTune.com) and run the benchmark on your external drive please. Report the results then.

Michael

This is for my external…

HD Tune: Seagate FreeAgentDesktop Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 0.3 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 0.4 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 0.4 MB/sec
Access Time :
Burst Rate :
CPU Usage : 8.2%

I am not sure about checking my USB ports…I saw on another forum where to check (run MSINFO.EXE and check the IRQs)

…but I don’t know how to tell if my ports are 2.0

Here is the listing…

IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 SCSI/RAID Host Controller OK
IRQ 10 MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 OK
IRQ 17 SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio OK
IRQ 19 Intel® 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442 OK
IRQ 21 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 22 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
IRQ 23 Lucent Win Modem OK
IRQ 23 Intel® 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444 OK

In the device manager under universal serial bus controllers see if you have one that says:
usb2 enhanced host controller
If not it is only a usb1.1 and that is the reason for the slow transfer rates and that is the problem, you need to get a cheap usb 2 pci card. they are around 20.00usd.

[quote=~Jethro~;2037645]In the device manager under universal serial bus controllers see if you have one that says:
usb2 enhanced host controller
If not it is only a usb1.1 and that is the reason for the slow transfer rates and that is the problem, you need to get a cheap usb 2 pci card. they are around 20.00usd.[/quote]

I think I have found my winner!

I have no controllers that are USB 2.

In the meantime, I will be using my internal HD for saving a few files…I do have about 30 GB of free space on there – not much but if I delete the files right after burning I will be fine for a few days.

This should solve everything…thanks!

No problem glad it is solved.

Hi,[quote=kca741979;2037648]I think I have found my winner!

I have no controllers that are USB 2. [/quote]Seems, as if my crystal ball has worked this time :bigsmile:

If you buy a PCI USB adapter card, make sure it has NEC chipset. These are the most compatible ones.

Also, don’t use any drivers provided with the card and stick with Windows integrated ones (if you are running either XP or Win 2000 with most recent service pack), since these are faster. Aditionally, be aware that the transfer rate won’t be above 16 MB/sec with PCI USB controller cards (for whatever reason). But this should be enough to get 8x DVD write speed.

Michael