New graphics card?

vbimport

Hy you guys I have a dell dimension 1100 i have recently bought 1gb memory for it and a dvd burner, but my graphic card still sucks, so i was thinking about upgrading it also. Right now i got a “Intel 82865G” and the memory size on it is 96 mb. I want something better. Maybe a good gaming card for cheap like anything under 70 dollars. I am looking at some cards from computers plus and here is what i am considering…
1.EVGA GeForce FX5200 128MB DDR $41.99
2.EVGA GeForce FX5500 128MB PCI $46.99
3.BFG 3DFuzion GF FX5500 256MB PCI $73.99
which one of those do you think i should get as a good gaming card?

[QUOTE=DJ B;2051035]Hy you guys I have a dell dimension 1100 i have recently bought 1gb memory for it and a dvd burner, but my graphic card still sucks, so i was thinking about upgrading it also. Right now i got a “Intel 82865G” and the memory size on it is 96 mb. I want something better. Maybe a good gaming card for cheap like anything under 70 dollars. I am looking at some cards from computers plus and here is what i am considering…
1.EVGA GeForce FX5200 128MB DDR $41.99
2.EVGA GeForce FX5500 128MB PCI $46.99
3.BFG 3DFuzion GF FX5500 256MB PCI $73.99
which one of those do you think i should get as a good gaming card?[/QUOTE]

None of those three choices would be much of an upgrade, if at all, from your current onboard graphics solution. This is because the molasses-slow legacy PCI bus would limit the performance of those GPUs, however outdated and slow they really are. And the Dimension 1100 does not have an AGP or a PCI-Express slot at all whatsoever to put any kind of updated, faster graphics card in. Your best bet is not to spend a single cent on your current system, and instead put the $70 or so towards the purchase of an entire new system.

None of those, there old and low end. If you have a pci-e slot and you don’t want to spend a lot try looking at a 8800GT.

Beaten to it, although a very good suggestion on the complete upgrade.

[QUOTE=Jedi Master Yoda;2051058]Beaten to it, although a very good suggestion on the complete upgrade.[/QUOTE]

I have since edited my response. That Dimension 1100 has no AGP or PCI-E graphics slot at all whatsoever. The only expansion slots that system has are three legacy PCI slots.

I actually have both 9250 and 5500 pci cards. I got them both mega cheap on clearance and figured that they would be good trouble shooting cards (for working on systems that don’t have pci-e/agp and may have dead onboard graphics etc. or dead pci-e/agp slots). I have never even used the 5500 but with the 9250, I have noticed minor improvements in performance on some systems. Keep in mind, everyone else that has responded is right. The pci slot is the limiting factor so you are going to get a little more performance at best. Thats why they use these old outdated cards for pci cards. Better, newer, faster cards would not give any improvement over the older card so they don’t even make them. Personally, I would agree that the best approach would be to put the money toward a new system or a major upgrade like new motherboard and cpu, but if that is not likely to happen any time soon, go with whatever card is cheapest (except for maybe some of the really old ones like radeon 7000’s).

Here is an actual ati built 9250 for 33$, free shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102434
Spending any more than that would be a total waste as you cannot get any faster than this card (even if the card is faster, the pci bus will bottle neck it and you won’t be able to use the power). Just don’t expect huge improvements from this or any other card.

I actually have both 9250 and 5500 pci cards. I got them both mega cheap on clearance and figured that they would be good trouble shooting cards (for working on systems that don’t have pci-e/agp and may have dead onboard graphics etc. or dead pci-e/agp slots). I have never even used the 5500 but with the 9250, I have noticed minor improvements in performance on some systems. Keep in mind, everyone else that has responded is right. The pci slot is the limiting factor so you are going to get a little more performance at best. Thats why they use these old outdated cards for pci cards. Better, newer, faster cards would not give any improvement over the older card so they don’t even make them. Personally, I would agree that the best approach would be to put the money toward a new system or a major upgrade like new motherboard and cpu, but if that is not likely to happen any time soon, go with whatever card is cheapest (except for maybe some of the really old ones like radeon 7000’s).

Here is an actual ati built 9250 for 33$, free shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102434
Spending any more than that would be a total waste as you cannot get any faster than this card (even if the card is faster, the pci bus will bottle neck it and you won’t be able to use the power). Just don’t expect huge improvements from this or any other card. You may or may not get noticeable improvement (I would suspect you will get a little improvement but not enough to make it worth spending much money. If nothing else, you might get some perks like s-video/composite out for going to a tv, maybe better refresh rates etc?

:frowning: damn i thought i would actually be able to do somthing… I would never be able to afford 8800gt anyway,… I guess if its not a smart move to buy a new one then i might not. Maybe a new harddisk then?.. my current is 37.2 gb… i dont know really what i want to do is make my computer better … i could just buy another 1gb memory module to total it up to 2 gb ram…:frowning:

You are limited to the fastest CPU allowed on the Motherboard using the maximum allowable RAM. After that, you need to upgrade to a newer Motherboard.

Ok then… in that case> if i needed to buy a new motherboard what would you recommend?

[QUOTE=DJ B;2051035]Hy you guys I have a dell dimension 1100 i have recently bought 1gb memory for it and a dvd burner, but my graphic card still sucks, so i was thinking about upgrading it also. Right now i got a “Intel 82865G” and the memory size on it is 96 mb. I want something better.[/QUOTE]
I agree with all that’s been said about upgrade possibilities for this machine.
If you really like this computer and want to go further with it, you must upgrade the motherboard and probably the power supply also.

The wiser choice would be to save up for your first new build.

If you want to try to morph this entry-level box into something more driveable on a shoe-string budget…

Board:
Intel D865GLC…about $40.00 + S&H on eBay
Size is MATX (there is an ATX ver. that is similar)
You probably have a MicroATX board now, verify that your box is large enough for ATX before buying one of those.
Intel boards use the all-important “AA” number identifer.
Google this board at Intel support and record the “AA” numbers that support the latest processors.
Shop for boards with these numbers.
What to hope for:
A board with healthy capacitors…some boards of this era were plagued by bad capacitors.
No Dell proprietary front panel connectors to deal with…

Power Supply:
You have a 250 watt that is marginal and forbid, possibly a goofy Dell proprietary connector that may not be compatible with a standard, mainstream motherboard.
I would look for something 400 watt or better.
There are lots crappy power supplies available for bargain prices…stay away.
eBay - Standard ATX power supplies
Search these brands: (there are others but not at shoe-string pricing)

Antec
Enermax
Fortron
FSP
Seasonic (might be too pricy)
Sparkle
SPI

I lean toward the units with the 120mm fan at the bottom…usually quiet and move good air volume.
The very best pre-purchase Power Supply Tutorial:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/ram-power-supply-support/192217-power-supply-information-selection.html

Video card:
The Intel D865GLC has both on-board graphics (as you currently have) and also the coveted AGP slot for true, dedicated graphics card support.
Let’s say you scored an Antec 550 watt Truepower for $31.00 (I just did), now you can go video card hunting.
On a budget you will be looking at DX9 cards
One good mid-range DX9 card that comes to mind is 7600GS ($50.00-ish used)…easy on power
One of the top AGP cards was 7800GS ($100.00+ used) power hungry
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/132
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/131
Be advised that the above is a mix of AGP and PCI-Express (new standard) GPU’s
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000662.html
This list is aging now, but it provides food for thought.
More current…
http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354

There are some DX10 cards available for AGP, but not that many.

Whew, this can really add up $$

I just bought a D865GLC with a 2.4Ghz Northwood HT for $55.00 shipped
(repaired a dead eMachines - failed capacitors)
I just saw a 7600GS go for $40.00 + S&H
Another $40.00-ish for a good used PS

$130.00 - $150.00 to keep the ol’ budget box out of the recycle bin.

Edit:
If your hard drive is 5400 rpm, you should move up to a 7200 rpm drive.
You’ll notice the speed difference and probably the quietness, too.
80 gig OEM about $50.00 new (Seagate or WD)

Sheesh, this is getting to look like a new build :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help man, This is a lot of info though I will look through it step by step :bow::smiley: May be a really good choice since im strap for cash. I thought it would be hard getting a motherboard since they can easily go over 100 dollars.l… and i never even thought about a power supply thanks again>>>