New GGW-H20L in Vista Ultimate (32-bit) not recognized

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GGW-H20L. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Just got this drive and installed it in my media center yesterday. I just replaced the old SATA DVD drive that was there and working fine. When I boot up the drive is not assigned a drive letter, and it doesn’t show up in explorer. However, if I go into Device Manager it is listed there with an exclamation icon. Evidently there is a problem loading the drivers. It doesn’t look like there are drivers on the CD, and even when I try to find newer drivers Vista says it already has the newest drivers installed…

Any idea what I can do to get the drive to load?

Thanks for the help!

Eddie

Please try this workaround: Go to Device Manager. uninstall the GGW-H20L and restart. Vista should automaticlly recognize the drive.

If it doesn’t work, please post Nero InfoTools log. There might be some conflict with other packet writing softwares such as Nero InCD, Daemon Tools etc.

Ok, as you suggested, I uninstalled the drive from Device Manager and rebooted. Shortly after logging in I get the drivers error I’ve attached here that basically says it’s failed to load the driver for this device. Then I get the AnyDVD warning that I’ve also attached.

So then I tried running InfoTool and I get the error I’ve attached for that. Interesting that if I uninstall the drive from device manager I can run InfoTool without an error, but as soon as I re-scan and add the drive back it errors out. Even if I’m already in InfoTool and just hit refresh after adding it back it errors out.

I have attached the InfoTool log (zipped) without the drive installed, in case that helps at all… Any other ideas?

Thanks again for the help!

InfoTool.zip (16.7 KB)

Did you put the drive on the PCI SATA controller (Silicon Image 3132 SATALink) or onboard SATA port?

Definitely put it on the onboard port. The card may have an internal port, not sure - it came with a SATA 4-drive enclosure I bought last year and those drives are attached to that controller…

I would try putting the drive on the PCI SATA card.

I called LG support and it turns out this is a very common issue. In case anyone else needs the answer:

If your Vista Ultimate system doesn’t recognize the drive, but it’s showing up in the device manager, right-click the drive and go to properties. If the error you’re getting is error 39, then the solution is very simple and is explained in this Microsoft KB article. Just requires two small edits to the registry, a reboot, and you’re set. At least it worked for me…

Now I can’t get AnyDVD to enable the drive, but I’ll check their forums first to see what’s up with that…

Thanks!

diggityDawg,
I’ve got the same problem but my error code is 10 (not 19,31,32,39 or 41 as described in the MS support knowledgbase).

Should your solution work also with my problem ?

Well, it’s worth a shot, just make sure you back up your registry first. The issue seems to be pretty specific to the error code. You might want to give LG support a call first. I was actually shocked at how quickly I got through to someone.

I’ve tried the solution (removing the upper & Lower filters in the registry as described) but that didn’t do anything at all !!

I’ve called my local (Netherlands) LG support but they won’t (can’t) help me one bit. I’ve told about the possible solution but he said he can’t comment on such things (?).

Now I’m back to square one. Anybody else a solution ?
Otherwise I have to reinstall Windows Vista probably…

Thanks.

Change in BIOS in SATA operation (settings) AHCI to ATA.

[QUOTE=Tennisboy72;2159213]I’ve tried the solution (removing the upper & Lower filters in the registry as described) but that didn’t do anything at all !!

I’ve called my local (Netherlands) LG support but they won’t (can’t) help me one bit. I’ve told about the possible solution but he said he can’t comment on such things (?).

Now I’m back to square one. Anybody else a solution ?
Otherwise I have to reinstall Windows Vista probably…

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Im haveing the same problem. but im running Vista Ultimate 64… LG sent me a replacement unit and same error came up again… have you been able to resolve this issue with your LG burner…
I really dont want to have to reinstall Vista

You must, its obvious.