New Fuji Discs At Best Buy

Ok, while the previous 50-pk and 100-pk (double stack of 50-pk) Fuji discs were wonderful TY discs (the ones in the spindle pack with the screw-on top previously pictured), the “new” 100-pk single spindles are Prodisc

From CDR Media Code Identifier v1.63
ATIP: 97m 32s 19f
Disc Manufacturer: Prodisc Technology Inc.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 72f / LBA: 359847)

Why do I have the feeling that I’m NOT going to like these? =(

Originally posted by DeathStalker77

the “new” 100-pk single spindles are Prodisc

Yep. That’s been known > Fuji 2 x 50 pack TY’s $10.00 @100

Anyone got any experience with these Fuji Prodiscs? I just got a 100 spindle. I was hoping that they’s be the Riteks I got last time I grabbed a Fuji 100.

I just finished burning through a 50-piece spindle of these. I had great results using my Pioneer 106D. I personally wouldn’t hesitate to buy another spindle … except I just received my supply of Riteks.

There’s a newer 100-ct Fuji spindle that looks a bit like Ritek, but nobody has reported yet what they are. They have a rounded top edge, instead of the vertical lip that Prodiscs have.

The Prodisc are fine as long as you don’t burn them over 40x. But you can get Ritek in Maxell spindles that’s a bit better in most drives.

Here are some Kprobe results from the aforementioned prodiscs. Image 1 is a 48x burn read at max, the 2nd is 48x burn read at 12x (both with aspi). Image 3 is 48x burn read at max with SPTI. I had very similiar results with a 32x burn.

Are all of the 50 pack Fuji still Tayo Yuden?

If so, do you think it will stay that way for the foreseeable future?

No, they are not. Only the ones from Japan.

In my local BB, I have only seen the 30 packs as being “Made in Japan”. All others (Fuji’s) are labelled as Made in Taiwan. Although I have not bought them, I have seen Maxells or Memorex’s 30 packs labelled something like “pro” and “audio” at Staples/Office Depot that said they were MIJ as well. It seems that the big companies are only buying TY’s (CD’s) in 30 packs, which lends credence to what I’ve read here in that TY cannot keep up with demand for their CD-R’s and they are currently focusing on their DVDR’s rather than trying to ramp up more production on the CD-R’s leaving the big labels with no choice but to seek out other suppliers that can keep up with their demands.

Does “Made in Japan” always mean Tayo Yuden, irrespective of brand name on CDRs?

In the USA, for all practical purposes, the answer is yes. (CDR only)