New Forum Suggestion

vbimport

I’d like to see a few new forums dedicated to specific SSD makers and brands. Three or four would do:

Intel
OCZ
Samsung
Corsair

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2701806]I’d like to see a few new forums dedicated to specific SSD makers and brands. Three or four would do:

Intel
OCZ
Samsung
Corsair[/QUOTE]

I meant Crucial of Micron, not Corsair.

Toshiba accounts for one third of the world’s NAND and SSD chips and drives and has far more influence on the markets than Micron and OCZ combined, but I haven’t seen Toshiba’s own SSD.

I could see how the SSDs will be parceled out into separates. I think we’re getting there with the new ANDROID section, and probably SmartPhones and Tab-Pads will end up with separate groups entirely. Then we’ll see their Hardware & Software sides.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2702576]I could see how the SSDs will be parceled out into separates. I think we’re getting there with the new ANDROID section, and probably SmartPhones and Tab-Pads will end up with separate groups entirely. Then we’ll see their Hardware & Software sides.[/QUOTE]
I fully agree with you on that. :iagree:

BTW, the Android section should better be renamed “Android/ Linux/and xxx” section, to reflect the real status of SmartPhones/ Pads and comming/ further apps.
(Can’t understand why we are so shy for Linux/ UNIX and other distros existing/ and developing/ upcomming.)

I have wanted the PRINTERS & DISC PRINTING to be a front-page item, however, I suppose they were and they were relegated to a sub-group due to low traffic. I don’t know that Front-Page now would benefit anymore folks. I think new members find these forums thru web-searches anyway, so their ‘front page’ access isn’t useful.

Some forums have dozens and dozens of Front Page items and the sheer quantity bores or numbs the manual reading of them.

It’s a delicate balancing game.

I prefer coming to club.myce.com directly. Opening the front page is just embarrassing most times. I like to see all the long lists of NEW news and member posts at once.

@Kenshin, our policy for adding new sub forums is (usual, unless we think it’s strategy wise different) is that when the parent forum is becoming too active. I understand you’ve might seen inconsistent behavior from us the last year but that’s mainly because due to the change in ownership we’ve been a bit searching for the new way to go or that we’ve partnered with companies that link from their website to that particular forum.

What we normally do is split the parent forum in multiple sub forum if there activity is there. While instinctively you might think that opening a new forum would attract new people our experience is that it isn’t the case.

Given the fact that we have very popular SSD reviews, I think there is room for improvement on the activity level of the SSD forum, this is currently my top priority and I have some ideas to stimulate that activity. However in it’s current state splitting it would probably not contribute to it’s activity level.

We’ve found that people usually post in forums where there is some activity and stay away from empty, inactive forums. So it’s a bit of a snowball, once a forum gets active, more people jump in and once the ball gets too big we split it in smaller ones.

So my goal is certainly to create the subforums you’ve proposed but they’ll like get there once we get the SSD forum more active than now. I hope I’ve explained it properly this way and thanks a lot for your suggestion!!!

There were mainly two reasons for suggesting new forums for different SSD manufacturers.

First, there have been too many exceptional SSD reviews on CDFreaks/MyCE since around the release of earlier-generation OCZ SSD products, but never great and active feedbacks from users and members. The quality of reviews on most other (and much bigger) sites was far lower, but there were activities there on A site and T site and others, mostly silly to idiotic, some from very well-informed.

Second, it is only natural for CDFreaks/MyCE to build the SSD counterpart of optical forums. Smartphones and HDTV are hardly related to optical storage and professional interest and contributions on such areas are not found here even though the name of the site implies it is headed towards those areas. It would have been better to focus on SSD, in addition to ODD, instead of CE for the last several years.