New Forum Member with possible Hardware/Software Issue

vbimport

Hi guys…my first posting here so go easy on me :slight_smile:

I’ve looked through passed posts on several forums here to find what I need but no real luck so I’m gonna risk posting my question.

I have a Lite-On 411s burner (was afraid to post on that forum for fear the opinions would be biased) and have tried several firmware versions…from F - H - J back to F and still same problem. I am using COMPusa brand 1x media (tried both + and -) and started using CloneDVD but ended up using DVD xcopy Platinum. I put the original DVD into my Pioneer 114 DVD reader and then put the blank DVD-R into my Lite-On 411s burner. All “blacklisted” software uninstalled and all startup software disabled in msconfig…rebooted as needed. When I burned with CloneDVD it would complete normally without errors but when I would try to read the DVD it would just spit and grind without seeing anything on it…this was with REGION-Free running during the burn as well as disabled Region check in the firmware of the burner. When I burned the same 6 different DVD’s using DVD xcopy Plat (without any Region-Free running) I would get a error free completion and I could even read the DVD and play it…BUT…75% of the way through the movie(s) they would stutter and freeze. This would happen when reading (sometimes) from the PC and ALL the time from both my Sony 5Disc dvd player and my Toshiba (brand new this month) DVD player. Both players in my house are advertised as being MP3, SVCD, CD-R and DVD-R compatible. (sorry I dont remember the models of them)… I posted here becuase I have tried a couple software packages with poor results and only common denominator I see is either the burner or the media. I am using media from two seperate patches as well. I just hate to have to go out and spend another 40-80 dollars on new sets of media just to test this out. Do you have any suggestions?

Be gentle :wink:

Welcome! We usually like to abuse newcomers a bit, but will make an exception in your case.

COMPusa brand 1x media

That is most likely the one and only problem you have. Easily some of the worst media that money can buy. Especially on the LiteON burners.

Originally posted by Christofsen
[B]Hi guys…my first posting here so go easy on me :slight_smile:

I’ve looked through passed posts on several forums here to find what I need but no real luck so I’m gonna risk posting my question.

I have a Lite-On 411s burner (was afraid to post on that forum for fear the opinions would be biased) and have tried several firmware versions…from F - H - J back to F and still same problem. I am using COMPusa brand 1x media (tried both + and -) and started using CloneDVD but ended up using DVD xcopy Platinum. I put the original DVD into my Pioneer 114 DVD reader and then put the blank DVD-R into my Lite-On 411s burner. All “blacklisted” software uninstalled and all startup software disabled in msconfig…rebooted as needed. When I burned with CloneDVD it would complete normally without errors but when I would try to read the DVD it would just spit and grind without seeing anything on it…this was with REGION-Free running during the burn as well as disabled Region check in the firmware of the burner. When I burned the same 6 different DVD’s using DVD xcopy Plat (without any Region-Free running) I would get a error free completion and I could even read the DVD and play it…BUT…75% of the way through the movie(s) they would stutter and freeze. This would happen when reading (sometimes) from the PC and ALL the time from both my Sony 5Disc dvd player and my Toshiba (brand new this month) DVD player. Both players in my house are advertised as being MP3, SVCD, CD-R and DVD-R compatible. (sorry I dont remember the models of them)… I posted here becuase I have tried a couple software packages with poor results and only common denominator I see is either the burner or the media. I am using media from two seperate patches as well. I just hate to have to go out and spend another 40-80 dollars on new sets of media just to test this out. Do you have any suggestions?

Be gentle :wink: [/B]

The CompUSA media is crap in a 411s! I had the same problem with the DVD-R 1x media, seemed to burn okay but could not be read by the same 411s burner (fw-fs0f). It studdered and locked in almost all my standalone players except my cheapo AMW.

My 411s just didn’t like the media at all! OTOH, I burned the same media in a rebadged Optorite DD0401 at 2x and have no problems in any standalone player and its even playable by the 411s.

If you want to keep the burner, go out and get good media. I had no problems with Memerex and Fuji DVD+R media (Ricoh). Come to think of it I had no problems with CompUSA +RW media and only one bad burn in the CompUSA +R media (towards the very end). Just avoid the CompUSA DVD-R 1x media in the 411s.

You could try overclocking the drive to 811s, the fw seems to be better than the 411s for writing the CompUSA 1x media.

Good Luck.

You guys are the best thank you!

ps-and thanks for being easy on me :slight_smile:

BTW-my 14 return policy on that drive was getting so close I ran out and exchanged it for a Sony DRU-530A.

Ok … I cant expect you to hold back for long so flame away.

[B]You guys are the best thank you!

ps-and thanks for being easy on me :slight_smile:

BTW-my 14 return policy on that drive was getting so close I ran out and exchanged it for a Sony DRU-530A.

Ok … I cant expect you to hold back for long so flame away. [/B]

I think thats a rebadged/packaged Optorite DD0401;)

LoL :wink:

No joke…when I returned it the girl just about dismantled the drive looking for the gatcha. She did find a DVD I left in the drive though :stuck_out_tongue:

Oops

thanks again … btw I’m putting it to the test now. Trying to burn copies of my Pirates of the Carribean and 13th Warrior. Known issues with those ones…so if it works I’ll wet myself with glee.

Trying to use up the COMPusa 1x DVD-R’s in my new Sony DRU-530a and so far Pirates of The Caribbean and 13th Warrior burned beautifully. From start to finish no stutter or pixelation. I’m happy :slight_smile:

hey, welcome to the forum :smiley:

I’ve burnt over 225 fiilms including pirates of the carribean and the one thing i learnt very quickly is that there is no substitute for good media. I first started off with bulkpaq orange 4x discs 59p a disc and the first 25 were perfect. no skips nor pixelation but after buying a second tub they were useless (about 1 in 7 worked) I then moved onto datasafe yellow topped princos 80p a disc and they seem to work well however wouldn’t play in all my players… Finally i moved onto ritek G04 purple discs at £1 a disc and haven’t had a single problem with quality or playback in any of my players. If they burn (not all complete and so i collect them, then when i get 50 of them i send them back, saying i have a faulty batch) they always work flawlessly…

Basically to cut a long and very boring story short :wink: you get reliability through spending that little extra. It saves money in the long run as you don’t waste 1/4 as many in coasters…

Just my 2 cents worth :bow: :bow:

hope this helps

Sweet :slight_smile: Thanks for the tip…I’ll look for the Ritek DVD’s on my next run for refills. :smiley:

Trying to use up the COMPusa 1x DVD-R’s in my new Sony DRU-530a and so far Pirates of The Caribbean and 13th Warrior burned beautifully. From start to finish no stutter or pixelation. I’m happy :slight_smile:

Thats the same kind of results I got when I upgraded from the 411s to the DD0401. :slight_smile: