New fold-a-thon for a new year!

The Folding team recently made an awesome drive from ~240th place to ~220th but we seem to have hit a brick wall and have been treading water for the last few weeks. I say we show all those other teams what us freaks are made of and plow ahead! To start we can set our sights on breaking into the top 200, then from there… who knows:D

Temps are low now that its winter so we can crank those overclocks and bust out that extra hardware from the closet (and maybe even save on the heating bill:p) to make this happen we’ll need to recruit new members, bring back old members, and fold it till it melts:D

so what do you say, who’s with me?

jwill427

Been popping breakers at home lately :frowning: had to shutdown 2 computers till I get time to fix that problem. :iagree:

Got a new build in mind and some parts coming in allready for next month :slight_smile:

I am with you GO TEAM GO

Come on all , come join the FUN

I’m in :flower:

bummer about the power woes bean55 :frowning: hope its nothing serious

anyway, welcome aboard to yourself and to Arachne :slight_smile:

I may have something up my sleeve to give us a lil’ boost ;):wink:
now if only I had the dough for one of these I could give us a big boost :stuck_out_tongue:

You may need a bigger box for that puppy :bigsmile:

Okay, I’ll see what I can do, I’ve got a couple of idle 4Ghz cores :smiley:

I think we may have set a new CDF record for points in one day yesterday, 41,823 to be exact :clap::cool:

keep up the great work everyone :smiley:

just wanted to give a quick update and say great job so far everyone :clap:

we made it up to 219 at one point but got steamrolled by some big teams, but going by our radar we’ll be back at 219 in about a month :iagree:

for 3 of the past 4 days we’ve been over 40k and the new high water mark is 42,726 :clap::smiley:

keep up the good work everyone, and fold it till it melts :cool:

wow can’t believe its already been a year since I started this thread :eek:

so who’s up for the second annual CD Freaks/MyCE fold-a-thon? :D:cool:

Hi buddy I am running about as much as I can right now, but I will try to pump up a little more :iagree: :bigsmile:

I am interested in getting involved in GPU folding, can you guys recommend a cheap and low power GPU that still churns out a decent amount of work?

Thanks

Depending on what you consider cheap

Something like this for $100.00

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5516908&CatId=3669

Or what I am using for $200.00

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4369730&CatId=3775

That’s 96 vs 216 stream processors

A big difference :iagree: :bigsmile:

2 or 3 jobs a day or 8 to 9 :bigsmile:

Hmm,

What about this deal:

$130usd and comes with a free PSU that isn’t great but I assume the card will consume more than 50 watts so upgrading my 300 watt FSP is probably a must.

[QUOTE=adict2jane;2482546]Hmm,

What about this deal:

$130usd and comes with a free PSU that isn’t great but I assume the card will consume more than 50 watts so upgrading my 300 watt FSP is probably a must.[/QUOTE]

Not a bad card for the price, the higher end 260’s that i use at 216 stream is the next jump up from the 128 stream. Should help pull some good numbers with it.

with GPU folding its all about the stream processors and how fast they’re clocked. a great mid range card is the old 96sp 9600gso (new ones are 48sp) or the 8800gs, you should be able to find them in the $50 range and the SPs can generally be clocked to 8800gt levels. The gts250 is also a great card, you can really push the SP clocks and they still have relatively low power consumption, but I’m not sure if the low profile 250 you linked to could handle folding long term

I got my ol’ 8800gt crankin’ again, now I just need to resist playing the stack of games I got from the steam holiday sale so I can keep my ppd up :doh:

[QUOTE=jwill427;2192675]Temps are low now that its winter so we can crank those overclocks and bust out that extra hardware from the closet (and maybe even save on the heating bill:p) to make this happen we’ll need to recruit new members, bring back old members, and fold it till it melts:D

so what do you say, who’s with me?[/QUOTE]
Err … we’ve had record high temps in Oz for the last few days.
I think Melbourne just set a record for the highest 24hr period low temperature this morning at 8am.

I’m still waiting for a stable release of the SMP client.
I’m currently running 6x FAH standard clients & 1xGPU Client on my new I7-860 at work :wink:

The SMP client seems to require more work to maintain in Win7 than I have spare.
My quad core at home is … off 6 days of every week. I’ve barely touched it in 3 months.

[QUOTE=debro;2484834]Err … we’ve had record high temps in Oz for the last few days.
I think Melbourne just set a record for the highest 24hr period low temperature this morning at 8am.

I’m still waiting for a stable release of the SMP client.
I’m currently running 6x FAH standard clients & 1xGPU Client on my new I7-860 at work :wink:

The SMP client seems to require more work to maintain in Win7 than I have spare.
My quad core at home is … off 6 days of every week. I’ve barely touched it in 3 months.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya on waiting for a better smp, I’ve been very tempted to fire up a notfreds vm image, but even though its miles ahead of winsmp it still seems like a lot of work/babysitting, especially when you consider how easy the gpu client is

I’m no mathematician, but its summer in the southern hemisphere now right? or is that just a myth like the toilet bowl swirling the opposite direction:bigsmile::confused:

[QUOTE=jwill427;2488213]I hear ya on waiting for a better smp, I’ve been very tempted to fire up a notfreds vm image, but even though its miles ahead of winsmp it still seems like a lot of work/babysitting, especially when you consider how easy the gpu client is

I’m no mathematician, but its summer in the southern hemisphere now right? or is that just a myth like the toilet bowl swirling the opposite direction:bigsmile::confused:[/QUOTE]
Yeppo. Last week, record temperatures for an entire week, this week, winter has come early …

Weather in Oz, as predictable as a woman … errr … yeah that’s politically correct.