New flashdrives

vbimport

Just bought 2 flashdrives on the net 250G for $15USA & 60 G for $ 8, problem is when I format them to NFTS the are not recognized, when I format to Fat32 they are, which obviously I will never get the 250G & 60G. The old story you get what you paid for.

Never had something like this happen to me, but you can always try to format them in exFAT if it works you should be able to use them with large files.

Thanks Vroom, I was hoping to use it for movies, guess not.

There have always been issues with NTFS and removable drives. NTFS was never intended to be used this way, principally due to its security features.

The maximum partition size for Fat32 is actually far larger than your drives: Approximately 2 TiB (with 512 byte sectors), 8 TiB (with 2 KiB sectors and 32 KiB clusters) and 16 TiB (with 4 KiB sectors and 64 KiB clusters).

The 32GB limit for Fat32 you have presumably encountered is just a limitation of Windows NT. If you use a 3rd party utility you can format your USB drives as a single 250GB volume if you wish.

But where possible it is preferable to use exFAT. It removes Fat32’s 4GB file size limit (the reason why most digital cameras have a 4GB file limit for video recording) and seems to have better data integrity features.

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2784943]Just bought 2 flashdrives on the net 250G for $15USA & 60 G for $ 8, problem is when I format them to NFTS the are not recognized, when I format to Fat32 they are, which obviously I will never get the 250G & 60G. The old story you get what you paid for.[/QUOTE]

Try this http://www.fat-32-formatter.com/ it is free…