New firmwares released for Premium and PX-W5224TA

vbimport

Plextor Europe has released new firmware versions for the Premium and PX-W5224TA drives:

[i]PlexWriter Premium(-U) V1.03:

Added:
-GigaRec at 8x writing.
-Support for newer CD-R media.

Improvements:
-Write performance for several NS and US CD-RW.
-Write quality on various CD-R media.
-FE/TE test for Plextor media.

PX-W5224TA V1.01:

Fixed Bugs:
-Writing on some CD-R media at speeds between 20X to 40X will generate a write error[/i]
Download:

Plextor Premium Firmware 1.03
Plextor PX-W5224TA Firmware 1.02

It’s very “cooool” - GigaRec at 8x writing!

Any reports on how this new version behaves in the God that is the Premium?

CDRinfo has some interesting information on firmware 1.03 and the latest SecuROM protection:

[i]…after combined with the latest available BlindWrite Suite. The Premium drive can produce working SecuROM 4.8x.x(+?) backups, without any software emulation method. The backup process is very easy, you must have…

[ol][li]A Plextor Premium recorder with 1.03 firmware
[/li]> [li]The latest BlindWrite Suite[/ol]Steps:
[/li]>

[list=a][li]Create an image with the BlindRead software
[/li]> [li]Create the nessecery bwa file with “Physical CD characteristic dumper” software (use 40X speed)
[/li]> [li]Burn the image with Blindwrite (the burning speed is automatically selected at 4X) and enjoy a perfect backup!!![/list]Source[/i][/li]

Is this info not worth for the mainpage ?!?!

Did someone test this new future without any emulation on a clean system !?!?

THX for info :wink:

hallo51

does that mean its a 3 sheep burner ?

Hi,

it does not mean it is an 3 sheep burner.
The 1/2/3 sheep burner only describe how good the drives can
handle weak sectors that apear with the Safedisc protection !

halllo51

nothing else solution can produce such copy that plextor premium and blindwrite 4.5.3, we tweak the writing mode to change the linear density, so even with a copy you can extract again the density change, which is not possible …
so the backup is closest to perfect than every other methods…
but it works ONLY on premium !

Cool I want a plextor premium!!! :bigsmile:

me too, :slight_smile: … I don’t have one myself… but I ordered it.

Blindwrite+Plextor Premium= BlindPlex? :bigsmile: /gs.

@lapinou: Does that mean that you can switch between gigarec and normal mode while burning?

If your answer is ‘yes’, then I have further questions…

Interesting development. Good work VSO (or should we say Plextor? Or both? ;))!

thanks, it should be possible with some other drive who play with the final size like the double density from sony, the sanyo/optorite hd-burn, and maybe an upcoming LiteOn or anyelse manufacturor.
but at least Plextor provide excellent piece of hardware at launch time, not the same for others :slight_smile:

Originally posted by lapinou
nothing else solution can produce such copy that plextor premium and blindwrite 4.5.3, we tweak the writing mode to change the linear density, so even with a copy you can extract again the density change, which is not possible …
so the backup is closest to perfect than every other methods…
but it works ONLY on premium !

Sorry for my question: I didn’t understand if the backup works ONLY on premium or if I need a premium to create a backup that works in every drive:)

Thanks.

sounds promising
too bad that i cant get blindwrite running on my NT based OS (WIN XP Pro)
i didnt had any problems under win 98 but since i use win xp pro i didnt manage to install blindwrite succesfull, one of the biggest reasons why i switched to alcohol 120%

well cant have it all

you need a premium to create a copy which works on every drive ( atip needed btw ) …

for installation problem, contact the support for detailed procedure how to recover a bad previous installation.

alcohol has problem too, like every software, but if you even don’t contact the support it help nobody !

Nice news, I could think to buy a Plextor premium to replace my 24x.

Thanks for your information

Originally posted by lapinou
[B]you need a premium to create a copy which works on every drive ( atip needed btw ) …

for installation problem, contact the support for detailed procedure how to recover a bad previous installation.

alcohol has problem too, like every software, but if you even don’t contact the support it help nobody ! [/B]

When you say ‘works on every drive’ do you mean EVERY drive or, like in the old days when we didn’t use emulation, most drives.

Also what does ‘atip needed btw…’ mean? Does the copy only work on drives that can read the atip, or does it mean that atip needs to be hidden like always?

Thank you for a great job VSO. This is REALLY GOOD news !

atip must be hidden if needed, as it remains a cdr media …

it should works on every drive, as it is not as twinpeak which fake the density and can introduce crc during installation.

but for you information, we encounter also problems with original !!! I am unable to install frozen on my laptop. so the 100% result is just maybe a sweet dream… but so far with the premium there is a big step beyond.
I would like Plextor add the gigarec and stuff of the premium in the dvd writer announced this morning… don’t you think ?
a multiformat dvd writer with all features of premium, for a cheap price … we should make a petition no ?