New Firmwares again

vbimport

After being quiet for a while in regards to firmware, we finally have some updates again.

The following firmwares have been uploaded:

[ul]
[li]Optiarc AD-5280S firmware 1.01 including Bitsetting, RPC1 and Auto-Reset patch[/li] [li]Optiarc AD-5280S firmware 1.01b including Bitsetting, RPC1 and Auto-Reset patch[/li] [li]Optiarc AD-7261S firmware 1.Z5 including Bitsetting, RPC1 and Auto-Reset patch[/li] [li]Optiarc AD-7280S firmware 1.01 should now also support previously unsupported drives[/li] [li]Optiarc AD-7283S firmware 1.01 including Bitsetting, RPC1 and Auto-Reset patch[/li] [li]Optiarc AD-7283S firmware 1.01b including Bitsetting, RPC1 and Auto-Reset patch[/li] [li]Optiarc AD-7717H firmware 102A including Riplock, RPC1 and Auto-Reset patch[/li] [li]Optiarc AD-7740H firmware 1.00 including Bitsetting, Riplock, RPC1 and Auto-Reset patch[/li] [li]Sony DRX-S90U firmware 1.D1 including Riplock, RPC1 and Auto-Reset patch (AD-7740H OEM drive which supports bitsetting on DVD+R and DVD+RW out of the box)[/li][/ul]

For the AD-7740H firmwares, make sure to use the latest Binflash version 1.62

Thanks much Liggy!!!

This makes me want to buy some new Opticals.:iagree:

Thanks for the new updates.

Thank you very much for your work!

Thanks Liggy, much appreciated! :flower:

No complaints about something not working? Or did nobody test the patches yet? :wink:

I tested the 7280S-101bt-auto and it worked fine on bitsetting +R to -ROM. Perhaps the patch was already done some time ago, but I didn’t see it until this past weekend.

Unfortunately there are two different 1.01 firmwares for the 7280S - there seem to be different hardware revisions of this drive - at least they identify differently. On version was patched a while ago, the other version has only just been added. But both firmwares are in the same file and standard tools in Windows do not reveal information about the firmware date which is different.

Alternative would be dumping the firmware again and looking at the last few Bytes of the file. If it says something with “Q285” it’s the old firmware “Q305” is the new one.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2637785]No complaints about something not working? Or did nobody test the patches yet? ;)[/QUOTE]

I tested it on the new drive and the patch works perfectly (The AD7280S).
Thx Liggy

I see “G305,” which I assume is the new one.

Mine dump says G30511. What difference between firmware 1.0 1.01 1.20? I don’t see firmware on sony-optiarc site. Maybe somewhere I can see history or something?

…and I see “G285” (technically “G28507”) :frowning:

I see “G285” at the start of the dump too (starting at offset 0x08)

G285 or G305 are internal drive identifiers - also used for doing a region code reset or when flashing a drive. Internally I also use these in Binflash to distinguish between drives. The “07” at the end of the file reflects the bootcode version - bootcode and firmware must match.

Getting the real drive from the ID is quite easy with Optiarc drives. If it starts with a Q use a 5, if it starts with a G use 7 as the first digit (*). Then take the next two digits (e.g. 28). Last digit modulo 5 for the 4th digit. If the last digit is less than 5 add “A” else add “S”. Letters ‘A’ to ‘D’ correspond to ‘0H’ to ‘3H’ (on slimline drives)

G285 means 7280S:
G->7
28->28
5->0
5->S

G305 would actually mean 7300S but they still named it 7280S for whatever reason. Unfortunately Optiarc mostly seem to have stopped firmware support for their drives, so the only firmwares available were dumped from existing drives. :frowning:

The G285 signature at the beginning of the firmware could potentially be used to prevent flashing from G305 firmwares to drives with G285 bootcode, although they usually take the first Byte of the firmware for this verification

(*) this is a little simplified
Q->Optiarc AD-5
G->Optiarc AD-7
C->Optiarc BC-5
B->Optiarc BD-5
K->NEC ND (with a different usage of the remaining digits)
M->NEC HR (only known from the HR-1100A)
L->used for some NEC and early Optiarc slimline drives
D->used for duplicator drives (NEC and Optiarc)

tried the 1.z5 firmware in a 7261s, but it won’t take it. nothing in the readme but the online description says it from a duplicator drive and won’t work in a retail one. maybe add a note to the readme with the download?

thanks anyway!

I gave the AD-7283S 1.01b RPC1 & bitsetting firmware version (101bbt_rpc1.bin) a go and both patches work perfectly. For reference my drive used to have the slightly older 1.01 version of the firmware on board. Thanks Liggy! :clap:

[QUOTE=Liggy;2637590]After being quiet for a while in regards to firmware, we finally have some updates again.

The following firmwares have been uploaded:

[ul]
[li]Optiarc AD-5280S firmware 1.01 including Bitsetting, RPC1 and Auto-Reset patch
[/li] [li]Optiarc AD-5280S firmware 1.01b including Bitsetting, RPC1 and Auto-Reset patch
[/li] [li]Optiarc AD-7261S firmware 1.Z5 including Bitsetting, RPC1 and Auto-Reset patch
[/li] [li]Optiarc AD-7280S firmware 1.01 should now also support previously unsupported drives
[/li] [li]Optiarc AD-7283S firmware 1.01 including Bitsetting, RPC1 and Auto-Reset patch
[/li] [li]Optiarc AD-7283S firmware 1.01b including Bitsetting, RPC1 and Auto-Reset patch
[/li] [li]Optiarc AD-7717H firmware 102A including Riplock, RPC1 and Auto-Reset patch
[/li] [li]Optiarc AD-7740H firmware 1.00 including Bitsetting, Riplock, RPC1 and Auto-Reset patch
[/li] [li]Sony DRX-S90U firmware 1.D1 including Riplock, RPC1 and Auto-Reset patch (AD-7740H OEM drive which supports bitsetting on DVD+R and DVD+RW out of the box)
[/li][/ul]

For the AD-7740H firmwares, make sure to use the latest Binflash version 1.62[/QUOTE]

Hi Liggy,

Thank you very much for all of these wonderful updates from you. I just wanted to ask a question that is probably stupid:

Do the modified firmwares for the AD-7280S and the AD-7283S also contain riplock removal? I noticed that the readme.txt files in the 7-zip files I downloaded for them talks about RPC1, Auto-Reset, and booktype setting. But, it doesn’t mention that riplock is removed.

I did see on your firmware download page, in the descriptions to the left of the firmware download links, talk about “rpc1 - includes riplock and RPC1 patch
auto - includes riplock and region code auto-reset patch”.

That is why I am a bit confused if riplock is removed. The descriptions to the left of the firmwares, when you click on it, says that riplock is included with the RPC1 and auto patches. But, the readme.txt files within the downloaded firmwares themselves does not mention riplock.

Sorry for asking about this, but I just wanted to verify if your patched firmwares for the AD-7280S and AD-7283S drives includes riplock being removed. Thank you again for all of your hard work and time in helping out all of us. :bow:

All files except for the orig firmware have Riplocks removed. However usually there is no riplock in desktop drives, but only on slimline devices. That’s why I don’t mention it or provide riplock free only (fast) firmwares. But the routine checking for VIDEO_TS folder will be patched on all files that are not called orig.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2639790]All files except for the orig firmware have Riplocks removed. However usually there is no riplock in desktop drives, but only on slimline devices. That’s why I don’t mention it or provide riplock free only (fast) firmwares. But the routine checking for VIDEO_TS folder will be patched on all files that are not called orig.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much Liggy for your quick reply, and very thorough explanation. Much appreciated :slight_smile:

If I would mention Riplock on firmwares for drives that are not riplocked at all, everyone would be asking which riplock is circumvented so I don’t mention it.