New Firmware for Asus CRW5224A

Firmware version 1.20 is out for the asus crw5224a
you can download the bin file from my homepage here

i noticed that the max writing speed is now correctly given by the asus for most media that i use.
with older firmware almost all my cd’s where detected as 52 speed cd’s.
now the correct writing speed is detected, but you still can write faster as the writer says offcourse :slight_smile:

Aha, thanks for the file again, and thanks for the report!

Any problems during / following the upgrade ? Can you pls specify your OS / any other significant details ?
It seems like Asus has changed the way the flashing is done with a single executable instead of old flasher+bios…any improvement ?

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

never used the asus flash program.
i always use mtkflash to flash my asus drives
never had any problems with it
my specs:

P4 2.2Ghz
1024Mb RDRAM
Asus P4T-E (bios 1007)
Windows 2000 with SP 3

Maelstrom, have you ever tried mtkWinFlash on your drive?

nope

but when i finished reading the topic about it i might want to take a go at it :slight_smile:

Dave, Maelstrom, I’ve just tried to backup my 5224’s firmware with Mtkflash 1.55 … got the same thing as MLS from the other topic (unknown flash type). Is this the way it should work, or are there two ‘generations’ of CRW 5224, one with Mtk chip and other with some other chip ?

Anyway, I guess I’ll stick to the Asus tools for now… :wink:

Maelstrom, thanks again for your info.

-M

np :slight_smile:

i not sure wich version of mtkflash i have actually :rolleyes:
but mtkflash read out the firmware without any error messages that i can see.
but in the near future im going to try winflash to see how that goes.

Stop!!!

Last time I got a “unknown flash type”, the next thing which I had to do was reviving my some-days-old LiteOn 40125S (I tried to flash it with mtkflash 1.38)

Mediatek is the chipset, and Winbond or ST is the flash memory. If Mtkflash cannot determine the exact type, then it will dispay “known flash type”. In this case, you can kill your drive easily. Then, you have to wait for a new mtkflash version which knows the flash memory to revive it.

If it works despite that message, then your flash memory is by pure chance compatible to something mtkflash knows and associates with your flash memory

Phew, so all we need is a new version of MTKFlash? Anyone know anything about when the next version is due? :slight_smile:

/MLS

Originally posted by MLS
[B]Phew, so all we need is a new version of MTKFlash? Anyone know anything about when the next version is due? :slight_smile:

/MLS [/B]

No idea… I really don’t expect for there to be one…

better hope for a new version of winflash with some neat features
dont think there will be a new version of the dos mtkflash, its pretty old.

Do current versions of winflash even work flashing CDRW drives? I thought it was for Sandisk stuff.

/MLS

dont know not tried it yet
some others did if you read the other thread.
but dont know if their talking about cdrw drives

If you mean MTKWinFlash, then I’ve already tried it. It cannot identify flash type either.

/MLS

that is just nice then :frowning:
i stick to the dos version that works for me then

Well whadda ya know? I have received a new version of mtkflash 1.62! I’ll get it online soon for you all to try :wink:

Originally posted by dhc014
Well whadda ya know? I have received a new version of mtkflash 1.62! I’ll get it online soon for you all to try :wink:

waiting for it :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Maelstrom
[B]

waiting for it :slight_smile: [/B]

http://dhc014.rpc1.org/mtkflash.htm#1.62

Woohoo! Thanks dhc! Will try it tomorrow.

/MLS