New Firmware for 411+811 but what about 401

Now this is quite annoying and frustrating…I’ve had my 401 for
over a month now,and so far so good. My main concern is this…
when is LITEON going to release new firmware for the 401s?
Are the users of the 401s being deliberately ignored by LITEON.
Come on get with the program!!!

Ivanhoe…

The TRUTH is a LIE waiting to be told.

401s --> 411s :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

JoJo79… Please read your PM.

Ivanhoe…

Originally posted by JoJo79
401s --> 411s :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I second that.

I feel that this kind of upgrade is indirectly being encouraged by the manufacturer, since they havent released a firmware in ages.

umm, i have a 401S also … wtf u mean 401s —> 411s

WELL… i KNOW what u mean but,
someone gimme a pointer lol

I must say I find this rather strange. Updates dont just come for the sake of it.

What problems are you experiencing that need a firmware update? I know of no such issues with the 401s at this point in time.

I am in communcation daily with Liteon, let me know what problems you are experiencing and I will pass them on to them for you.

cheers
NicW
www.dvdinfopro.com
www.dvdrrw.org

Seems like new firmware for the 401 has wery low priority at Liteon, so I “upgraded” mine to 411 now.

re: nicw

I asume 411s with newest firmware also match more +R/RW-media than 401s? I’m not sure if that’s true, but that’s why I “upgraded” mine now.

Originally posted by m99
[B]re: nicw

I asume 411s with newest firmware also match more +R/RW-media than 401s? I’m not sure if that’s true, but that’s why I “upgraded” mine now. [/B]

From my tests here and the info I sent to liteon about this. My 401s did not suffer from the same problems that the 411s did on the same +R/RW media. The latest firmware on my 411s and 811s seem perfect now. The 401s remains uchangeda and still works fine.

cheers
NicW

I just think that a firmware update for the 401S with at least the ability to read the ADIP of a blank disc would be nice…

Is there a way to tell which firmware version you have? I bought my 401s about a month ago and wonder if it already has the update on the Liteon website.

Originally posted by Restorer
Is there a way to tell which firmware version you have? I bought my 401s about a month ago and wonder if it already has the update on the Liteon website.

You can use my program. get it here www.dvdinfopro.com

cheers
NicW

Thanks, Nic, nice looking program. It told me I do indeed have the August firmware. It also tells me the player is locked to R1. Is there a way to make this multiregion?

Originally posted by Restorer
Thanks, Nic, nice looking program. It told me I do indeed have the August firmware. It also tells me the player is locked to R1. Is there a way to make this multiregion?

Yup, sure is, another one of my programs :wink:

Get it here. www.dvdinfopro.com/download/liteonutil.zip

cheers
NicW

Wow, thanks again Nic. I guess you definitely da guy to see.:slight_smile:

my biggest problem is inconsistant reading and burning.

i know i know bad media or inconsistant media… but explain this…

i burn a disc at 4x… it is a good burn… i scan it in kprobe and get near the end over 500 PIPO

(settings 4x read, pipo sum 8 ECC, max unchecked.)

okay so im like that is strange…

so i eject it and reload the disc and rescan same settings…
the disc has a PIPO of no higher than 50 at the end…
sorry i never kept the really bad scan… forgot to save it…

but i kept this one…
and here is another disc that is burned once and read two different times with REALLY different results

here is the re-read

NOW im sure that if the drive is reading differently to a good burned disc after reloading it…
im sure that every once in a while a good blank that is put in to be burned is getting the same result except we get a bad burn…

the thinking is logical…

bitsetting would be nice…

better consistant burning with the variation of quality on ricoh 01 media that is manufactured by EVERYONE and it is about the only choice of media we have…

basicly better media codes for each manufacturers variance of media.

come on guys anything else, there were so many of you that complained…
or am i one of the only ones that has a 401s that is still a 401s…

this is not directed at anyone just a general comment…

i think i speak for many of the 401s users that have not converted their drives to 411s illegally… then again maybe not…

I feel like the 411s was rushed out… and the 401s got left behind with issues to be resolved… and then the 811s is now and and the 401s is now further back on the burner and looks as if it is totaly forgotten and works perfectly with no issues…
the people who have illegally upgraded there drives are getting more benefit than the ones doing the right thign and waiting… but it seems we are waiting for nothing… but something needs to be done…

Siliconsoul…I totally agreed with you, i for one have not converted my 401s to 411. I don’t advocate or condone such
practice (each to his/her own i say). I would like to be in a position to purchase media that’s more compatible with the drive
than is currently the case. If no new firmware is released to rectify such issues then i may have to go against my principles and find a way from 401>411. I hope it isn’t the only way.
Ivanhoe…

Originally posted by siliconsoul
[B]my biggest problem is inconsistant reading and burning.

i know i know bad media or inconsistant media… but explain this…

i burn a disc at 4x… it is a good burn… i scan it in kprobe and get near the end over 500 PIPO

(settings 4x read, pipo sum 8 ECC, max unchecked.)

okay so im like that is strange…

so i eject it and reload the disc and rescan same settings…
the disc has a PIPO of no higher than 50 at the end…
sorry i never kept the really bad scan… forgot to save it…
NOW im sure that if the drive is reading differently to a good burned disc after reloading it…
im sure that every once in a while a good blank that is put in to be burned is getting the same result except we get a bad burn…

siliconsoul

Your results are not completely inconsistant with normal variation between scans. I agree that a factor of 10x in the error rates seems a bit extreme, but factors of 2-4x are pretty common. You will see this most often on media that is marginal in quality and/or burns that are marginal. I attribute some of it to tracking error. You will not see this on the really high-quality stuff like TY as a rule, it scans well no matter what you do. The best thing to do when you see this is lower the scan speed to 2.4x (3x in Kprobe) and you should see the results be much more stable.

Since the disc does not change between scans, about all you can conclude from these scans is that the disc is not as easy to read as it should be. Hopefully, when media quality catches up to the burn speeds, we’ll see less of this. It’s not too much unlike what we used to see with C1/C2 scanning when 40x drives first came out and media was mostly 24x quality.

I had exactly the same problem. I still have many scans - some of them were good, some of them were terrible (or not finished in most cases - servo errors and such). Dunno if it was hardware problem or firmware problem. I RMAed my drive and it seems to be working just fine now. But you get suspicious about your disks when such things happen. I’ll link old scans here later.