New Falcon Glossy Inkjet (not waterproof) Shocking scans!

These have just been released in England and you can get them for near enough the price of standard inkjet discs

They print great but take a look at the scans…terrible

What speed did you burn these at? You could have gotten a bad batch of discs!

You’re scanning at maximum speed (16x) which tends to also maximize all reading problems that particular drive has with that particular disc, and such scans are only useful if you are very familiar with using that particular drive for high-speed scanning.

If you want others to a good chance of commenting on your scans, you should perform them at 8x or 4x depending on the drive - I’d suggest 8x scanning.

^ What Drage said :iagree:

If you don’t mind me asking, Steve, where’d you get the discs? I’ve been mooching around my usual B&M haunts and haven’t seen any MIUAE discs yet :sad:

Since the Tests forums are for tests only, I’ve moved the thread to the main Blank Media forum, so your results can be discussed. :slight_smile:

I bought some of those discs last year got them from a place up in Canada
while my scans didn’t look that bad I can say they didn’t scan anything like
the regular FTI TTH02 inkjet printable discs do. :disagree:

I’ll have to agree with what the others said about the scanning speed try 8x
since you are using a iHAS124 to scan with and see how it looks then and if
they all still look that bad then they belong in the trash can. :iagree:

I bought the discs from http://www.aprmedia.com

I know the scan speed is high but i aways scan at 16x. I will burn some more and scan at max and 8x. I always burn at 6x

Below are 2 smartguard dvd-r scans. Which are good, tho the best scanned falcon media i have used are smartwhite and water repellent. Both of these average around 1 for PI errors and have the same amount of PI failures as the smartguard discs below

Looking at the advertisement, I notice that they are mistakenly calling these “FalconMedia Pro”, when the label clearly shows these to be “Corporate”. The corporates I use scan with only slightly higher error rates than the pro.

I also find it difficult to evaluate your results scanned at 16X?

[QUOTE=steve99999A;2579080]I bought the discs from http://www.aprmedia.com

I know the scan speed is high but i aways scan at 16x. I will burn some more and scan at max and 8x. I always burn at 6x[/QUOTE]

Nice one, I’ve used them, they’re pretty good - I’ll have to bite the bullet and order some I think, fed up with searching PC World, Staples etc in vain. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to some 8x scans :smiley:

It turns out that aprmedia’s mistake was showing the wrong picture with the ad for these discs. They are FalconMediaPro.

A friend who is scanning these with his Plextor says that he sees no difference between them and the standard inkjets. I’m with you, Arachne. Love to get my hands on some of these and check em out :bigsmile:. Hope they make their way over the pond soon.

It appears that these print best with light ink saturation. Falcon has provided advice for getting the best print results from these here .

Good glossy media at regular printable prices :cool:. Here’s hoping that Falcon did manage to pull off this trick.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2579264]It turns out that aprmedia’s mistake was showing the wrong picture with the ad for these discs. They are FalconMediaPro.

A friend who is scanning these with his Plextor says that he sees no difference between them and the standard inkjets. I’m with you, Arachne. Love to get my hands on some of these and check em out :bigsmile:. Hope they make their way over the pond soon.

It appears that these print best with light ink saturation. Falcon has provided advice for getting the best print results from these here .

Well i must have a terrible batch then. Check out my latest scan below. As for printing they print colours great but they are not the best when printing blacks

So far i have tried 3 burners LiteOn IHAS524, LiteOn LiteOn IHAS124-19 B and a NEC 7170S. And the only burner that burns them decent is the LiteOn IHAS124-19 B. Bare in mind these drives burn all my other falcon media perfectly

Also out of 12 discs burned 3 won’t even read back in a dvdrom

Anyway i have emailed aprmedia about the discs. I have emailed the UK falcon dealer. As i have been emaling him these past few weeks about falcon smartguard (and he was kind enough to send me samples)

So latest scan below. It does not matter what speed i scan at i get the same result. Never had a dvd-r scan as bad as this

[QUOTE=steve99999A;2579080]I always burn at 6x[/QUOTE] What if 6x isn’t the best burning speed for your combination of media and burner? I would try burning at 8x and 12x and see if you get better results.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2579410]What if 6x isn’t the best burning speed for your combination of media and burner? I would try burning at 8x and 12x and see if you get better results.[/QUOTE]

As i have mentioned a few times. I have always burned falcon dvd at 6x .In the past i have used smartwhite, Dupliline and Water repellent (which i am using at the moment) They all burned great at 6x It is not the burn speed or the writers… The problem is 100% down to these discs

[QUOTE=steve99999A;2579404]

Anyway i have emailed aprmedia about the discs. I have emailed the UK falcon dealer. As i have been emaling him these past few weeks about falcon smartguard (and he was kind enough to send me samples)

[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear you are in contact with your Falcon rep. If there are production problems with this new disc, I’m quite sure they will be keenly interested in examining this stock and rectifying the problem.
I’m anxious to hear what they make of this problem(and get my hands on some;)). I hope this is made right for you.

Will let the thread know how i get on. I actually thought things were improving burning with the IHAS124-19 B ( i have 2 of these drives same firmware)

Anyway burned another 3 discs. One with a NEC 5260 and the others with both of my S124 drives. Tried all 3 drives in a pioneer dvd player (which plays everything)… 2 of the discs took forever to load and the 3rd(recorded with S124) didn’t load at all. And all 3 of these discs scan ok with cd/dvd speed

[QUOTE=steve99999A;2579527]Will let the thread know how i get on. I actually thought things were improving burning with the IHAS124-19 B ( i have 2 of these drives same firmware)

Anyway burned another 3 discs. One with a NEC 5260 and the others with both of my S124 drives. Tried all 3 drives in a pioneer dvd player (which plays everything)… 2 of the discs took forever to load and the 3rd(recorded with S124) didn’t load at all. And all 3 of these discs scan ok with cd/dvd speed[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I imagine you are giving these discs sufficient drying time before stacking them? Here is a guide to drying times with different artwork/print engines:

Just thought i would give an update…
So far i have used the following drives

LiteOn IHAS524 A (bought October last year)
LiteOn IHAS124-19 B (Brand new)
NEC 5260 ((bought October last year)
NEC 7260 (Brand new)
NEC 7170S (few years old)

I bought a spindle of 100 and have probably burned about 60 and most of the discs are scanning terrible. I would say the NEC 7260/5260 drives seem to burn them the best

As i have already stated the above drives burn Falcom Smartwhite/Water repellent and
standard inkjet prefectly

Couple of things i noticed with the Glossy inkjet

If you print to the disc before burning the scan in nero cd/dvd speed will be even worse
Also sometimes the burned disc will scan even worse after printing

I mentioned before the discs do not print black well. However if you change the print from CD/DVD to Epson matt the blacks print great. Infact the resulting pictures are amazing!. Of course by doing this you have to give the discs a day to fully dry. But as i say the results are great

Finally so far aprmedia have been good to deal with. They requested that i return 10 blank discs and some of the discs i have burned. So i returned about 6 glossy burns and
a water repellent and TY burn. Returned the latter to prove my setup burns other media perfectly. Anyway thay have now sent these direct to falcon. So will let you know how it turns out!

Now we do have a mystery :confused:. The new glossies that I’m testing look just fine. The movie burns are playing perfectly in the finicky old player that I use to test new or suspect media.

These do give a beautiful photo-quality print. Far superior to a matte printable. Fine details and colors look great, with that added “wow” factor you can only get from a glossy. I will not be surprised if these do rather well for Falcon. Duplicators using inkjet will be able to offer customers a far more attractive glossy at near the cost that their competitors are offering matte.

One thing I’ve found about these discs with heavier print coatings, be it Verb, TY, or Falcon. Scans with our consumer drives almost always report higher error totals than with the equivalent matte printable. I’ve yet to get an answer from the experts as to why this is so, but my guess is that the added weight may play a role. Or maybe gremlins :confused::eek::bigsmile: ?

Anyway…
Now for that 8X scan :slight_smile: . And a scan of another commonly available(and pricier) glossy for comparison. Both burned at 8X with Optiarc AD-7200A(1.Z3)

NEW Falcon Glossy DVD-R. Perfect 18X TRT

Verbatim AquaAce Glossy DVD-R. Perfect 18X TRT

@ Arachne:

I believe that my posting privileges have almost expired. As I still have not received an addendum to my membership kit with your address, I will not be able to mail you those Verbies to renew it :frowning: . Hopefully this pic of my first print with these Falcon glossies will encourage you to tolerate me till we get this straightened out :bigsmile:

Try burning the glossy falcon with a liteon drive…
How many discs have you burned?
As i pointed out i got a few good burns with NEC drives
Even looking at your good scan. It’s still not as good as falcon smartwhite/water repellent disc scan. As you say maybe down to the glossy surface. However i have found falcon standard inkjet to be not as good as smartwhite/repellent
Also what printer are using to print onto the discs with? Do they dry quickly for you?
Again try printing blacks onto the disc

My returned discs were sent to “Falcon’s QA department today for analysis” last thursday. So hopefullt i will have an update soon

ps i also bought some falcon glossy diamond cd-r and these were ok

Latest update

The discs were returned to Falcon and they were found to be faulty
So falcon kindly sent me 200 more :slight_smile:
So i have to say great support and service from falcon and www.aprmedia.com !

Attached scans from the new discs