New Epson cd printers?

Epson is phasing out the R289 Rx680 and 585. What is coming up in their place?

[QUOTE=InternetExpert;2229339]Epson is phasing out the R289 Rx680 and 585. What is coming up in their place?[/QUOTE]

Good question:). I’ve been too busy stocking up on spare RX680’s at $85.00 before they’re gone;)(gotten really fond of mine). Haven’t seen anything. Anyone else heard what Epson has in the pipeline?

I love my RX680, it works flawlessly, I just wish it wasn’t so large. Never used the Duplexor but its nice to have just in case I need to make a two sided copy. :wink:

They have the WorkForce and Artisan lines out now, but I haven’t done any research on them.

I dont think they have a CD tray.:confused:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2229718]I dont think they have a CD tray.:confused:[/QUOTE]

I checked the Epson Store site, the Artisan 700 and 800 A.I.O.'s print to cd/dvd.

[B]Artisan 700:[/B]
•4 in 1 with WiFi: Print / Copy / Scan / Ultra Hi-Def Photo
•Up to 38 ppm, photos in as fast as 10 sec1
•Auto Photo Correction; preview on LCD
•[B]Professional quality CD/DVD printing[/B]
•Wi-Fi and Ethernet networking
•Two-sided printing saves paper
•Two-year limited warranty with registration1
•Scan and restore faded photos
•Ultra Hi-Definition photos last 4x longer than photo lab prints
•Two paper trays always ready to print photos and documents
•Print personal note paper & greeting cards

[B]Artisan 800:[/B]
•5 in 1 with Wi-Fi: Print / Copy / Scan / Fax / Ultra HD Photo
•Up to 38 ppm, photos in as fast as 10 sec1
•Built-in fax and Automatic Document Feeder
•Wi-Fi and Ethernet networking
•7.8-inch touch panel, 3.5-inch LCD
[B]•Professional quality CD/DVD printing [/B]
•Two-sided printing saves paper
•Create coloring books and personal note paper
•Two-year limited warranty with registration1
•Ultra Hi-Definition photos last 4x longer than photo lab prints
•Two paper trays always ready to print photos and documents

The Artisan 800 looks nice, but I haven’t seen any actual cd/dvd prints done.

ive got an artisan 800, got it for $180 on newegg after rebates, twas a steal, that deal is gone now tho.

i printed 6 pages of photo’s 8x11.5, from a memory disc. and now all my color cartriges are below half, it appears to be around 1/4th. oddly however my black ink is still 100%. the black ink does differ being “high compacity” but its barly double the ink. so im not sure how it could possibly be 100%

epson says that the first cartriges will use more ink since it has to fill the tubes going to the print head, so i really really hope my next cartriges last longer than 6 pages…as the ink costs $12 a piece for low compacity, and $18 for high.

maybe when i start using printing software i can tone down the ink usage some more. but so far ink usage is crazy.

i will say one thing tho, its one hell of a nice all in one printer!:iagree: i was very surprized by the weight when i lifted this thing, screams quality. mine came with a free 4gb memory card, and 3 4x6 photo paper to try out. as well as a few coupons to use on epsons website

oh and the printer tray for dvd’s is pretty cool, touch of a button and in about 10 seconds it spits it out, you just drop the dvd on there and hit the button and back in it goes

i have found a few websites selling compatible ink for around $9 a piece, then i found someone on ebay selling 3 sets of ink for $75

but im kinda afriad of using compatible ink, im worried about ink clogging, quality, and if it will hold up on watersheilds and water resistant paper:sad:

Does the ink usage get better with the Artisan 800? I only have a week to return mine and if ink usage is always this high it’s going back! I hope you can respond to this.

If ink consumption is high now, I wouldn’t expect it to get better with use.
There’s no “break-in period” the way a vehicle will usually get better fuel mileage after a few miles are tallied.

Perhaps someone that has had an Artisan 800 in service will comment.

[QUOTE=rondashop;2274615]Does the ink usage get better with the Artisan 800? I only have a week to return mine and if ink usage is always this high it’s going back! I hope you can respond to this.[/QUOTE]

well so far i have printed 6 FULL sheets of 8x11 paper, somewhere around 6-8 dvd’s, and printed about 100 webpages and im still on my first set of cartriges.

overall im very happy, the cartriges are expensive but im pretty sure you can buy china carts now.

if all you do is print photo’s, on photo paper, using the highest quality setting, then expect to run out of ink pretty quickly.

again i havn’t used up any carts yet, but my black is almost gone, so i can’t tell you if it a second set of carts will last any longer, since ink has to fill the tubes going to the print head, then logically the second set of carts should last a little bit longer, but i wouldn’t expect anything ground breaking

just make sure your not using the highest quality setting to save unneeded ink usage

but its really hard to gauge how much ink was lost due to priming, so it could add maybe another 6 pages who knows.

the bottom line tho, is your using 6 ink carts, these ink carts are small, you are going to run out of ink faster, logically.

Thanks so much for the response. I have probably printed 8-10 8x10’s, 10 text docs and 4 dvd’s. I have had to replace all color cartridges and now black needs replacing. Where do I adjust print quality? Also can a partially used ink cartridge be removed and replaced? Thanks again. Ronda

[QUOTE=rondashop;2274824]Thanks so much for the response. I have probably printed 8-10 8x10’s, 10 text docs and 4 dvd’s. I have had to replace all color cartridges and now black needs replacing. Where do I adjust print quality? Also can a partially used ink cartridge be removed and replaced? Thanks again. Ronda[/QUOTE]

well for dvd’s i think you have to do that under setup on your printers lcd screen, or i think it might also ask you right before you print onto the disk, i usually print from my memory card, so if your doing it a different way im not sure then.

as for photo’s, again it kind of depends on how your using your printer, if your printing from a memory card then you’ll have to change the settings under setup.

the printer also has a very nice troubleshooting page so check that out. also keep an eye out for the little lights around your color screen, there are buttons that only light up when you can use them

oh and if your printing from your computer, you really need to use the epson software, which can be downloaded from the epson website or from the cd that came with the printer.

for settings, when i hit print on the “main” page there are 5 different profiles

draft, text, text &image, photo, best photo

do not use best photo, make sure you select the right paper, higher quality paper may use more or less ink.

then for the advanced page make sure you have normal or below selected.

be aware that changing these settings could change the quality of your photo’s quickly so some testing should be done to find the level suitable to you.

lastly, make sure you don’t use any of the maintence tools unless you really have to, because that will use alot of ink as well.

im not sure why you would want to remove a partially used ink cartridge, but my guess is if you take it out ink will get everywhere.

and i know for sure that if you do remove it that you will not be able to put it back in at a later date as the ink will dry and you do not want ink clotting your lines.

i should also point out that you want ink carts in your printer at all times, never leave it empty and the ink will dry, this is also why if you run out of ink for one color that you are forced to replace it before continuing to print anything.

oh and one last thing, there is a chance your cartriges weren’t actually empty, i guess epson put chips on the cartriges and i guess sometimes they go off when they shouldn’t. but im not sure if thats true or not