New DW1650 - What to do?

Ok I finally bought myself a DW1650.
Now I’m wondering what the HELL I need to do.
From what I’m reading I need to download some sort of Suite software? So I found that on the BenQ site but haven’t installed it yet as I have no idea what it is and what it does. (Is it some sort of diagnostic software?).

I was planning on using CopyToDVD as I have a license for it, I’m unaware if this is good software to use with this particular burner, and from experience it seems some burners like some software better than others, so is CopyToDVD good with the DW1650?
Would I be better off using the Nero CD that was included?
Last time I used Nero it was bulky and a bit annoying - but that’s probably changed now and I did buy some RAM to compensate however it seems it was faulty so I need to take it back.

I’m wondering where to go from here. I’m in australia but I went to three sites, the australian support site, the american support site as well as the support.benq.com site.
I downloaded the BCHC drivers from support.benq.com (it unzips to BCHC - is that correct?)
I downloaded fwcheck (unzips to fwcheck.exe - what is this? what does it do?)
I downloaded qsuite2.1 (unzips to a setup.exe - what does this program do?)
I downloaded booktype management 8.4 (wtf is this? it was only on the american site)

It’s all a bit too confusing for me right now with a lot of other things on my mind.

I hate asking newbie questions like this, I just don’t want to do something that prevents my burner from working before I have even used it yet.

Edit: Which is the best site to get firmware for the DW1650 from? It looks like some sites aren’t up to date.

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome to the forum SD84. :clap:
Official BenQ f/w:
Link to QSuite guide
Booktype Management is included in QSuite, so you don’t need the other.
The FWCheck does that. Checks, then tells you what f/w is currently in use.

Hi and welcome!

This is not essential, the drive should work out of the box.

I was planning on using CopyToDVD as I have a license for it, I’m unaware if this is good software to use with this particular burner, and from experience it seems some burners like some software better than others, so is CopyToDVD good with the DW1650?
Just try. All should be well, if your drive is supported by that software.

I downloaded the BCHC drivers from support.benq.com (it unzips to BCHC - is that correct?)
This is the latest firmware, not a driver. Opinions about this release are mixed, so I suggest using your drive with the firmware that is preinstalled.

I downloaded fwcheck (unzips to fwcheck.exe - what is this? what does it do?)
Some tool to check the firmware version of your drive. Not necessary. Most burning applications show information about the firmware of the drives.

I downloaded qsuite2.1 (unzips to a setup.exe - what does this program do?)
It’s a sort of toolkit useful to tweak your drive including bitsetting. Reading the manual will help you deciding if you need that.

I downloaded booktype management 8.4 (wtf is this? it was only on the american site)
With booktype setting, you will be able to “disguise” DVD+ media as DVD-ROM. This will improve compatibility with older DVD players. Bitsetting is also included in Qsuite, and some burning applications also offer similar settings.

Edit: Which is the best site to get firmware for the DW1650 from? It looks like some sites aren’t up to date.
With BCHC you already have the newest one. You may also watch the firmware announcement thread here.

Michael