New DVR-112D cant get it to work

vbimport

Hi I just got a new DVR-112D and installed it into a HP 763N which comes with a maxtor DVD drive…I replaced the Maxtor and set it up as cable select
It opens but when I put a disc in and click on the drive I get an error

“this is not a valid win 32 application”…When I explore the drive I can see the folders but no install icon…I tried to update to firmware 1.09 but the dos window says target not found…I just checked record now and it sees the drive it says pioneer DVD/RW 112D (E:)…any ideas Thanks

Can you put the drive in another pc to see what happens?

Given that you have a Maxtor, I would guess that you have an older system that might still use 40 wire cables for optical drives. Pioneers need 80 wire and can do very strange things without one. Check that as well as jumper settings.

How can i tell if it is 40 or 80 wire set up.

I saw a photo of a 40 wire and that is what I have,you really think if i change it to 80 wire it would work.It’s still the same pin configuration isnt it ? Will I have to change connectors too or juist the wire ribbon…Thanks

Yes this drive requires 80 wire 40 pin cable. Connectors are on the cable.

Many drives feature an option called Cable Select (CS). With the correct type of IDE ribbon cable, these drives can be auto configured as master or slave. CS works like this: A jumper on each drive is set to the CS option. The cable itself is just like a normal IDE cable except for one difference – Pin 28 only connects to the master drive connector. When your computer is powered up, the IDE interface sends a signal along the wire for Pin 28. Only the drive attached to the master connector receives the signal. That drive then configures itself as the master drive. Since the other drive received no signal, it defaults to slave mode.

In order to use Cable Select jumpering, several conditions must be met. Both drives on a channel must support CSEL, both drives must be jumpered as CSEL, a CSEL cable must be used, and the host interface connector must support CSEL. For the host interface to support Cable Select, wire 28 must be grounded.

The standard 40-wire ATA ribbon cable and the 80-wire cable give different drive behavior when using Cable Select. If using the standard 40-wire cable, the Master goes in the middle connector and the Slave goes in the end connector. If using the 80-wire cable, attach the blue end connector to the system board or host controller, the gray middle connector to the Slave, and the black end connector to the Master.

:cool: :cool:

Ok guys thank you for the help, im sure i can get the 80 wire IDE cable at comp USA or Best Buy ?

Update…I replaced the 40 wire IDE cable with a 80 wire and bingo,works like a champ…Chas0039 you were right on and to everyone who responded thank you for the help.I flashed 1.09 firmware and the speed is amazing…:slight_smile:

Glad to get it right the first time. We almost need a sticky with a picture of the different cables. Whenever I post one, I am limited to a single post and I can never remember where to link. Maybe Wikipedia.

Nice to see that your problem is solved, and you have learned something in the process.

:cool: :cool:

Thank you platinumsword i followed your suggestion re:master/slave pin configuration and it works great. :bigsmile:

Here is the one I found

Here is the link good info

http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/howto_connect_ide_hd.html

Thanks. I bookmarked it for future reference. It will make future problems much easier. This 40-80 wire thing comes up every week.