New DVD writer

vbimport

I am looking for a new DVD writer and mainly interested in writing quality. I am using Verbatim media so I am not sure if the writer would make much of a difference but anyway my choices are:

1. SAMSUNG SH-224GB
  2. LG GH24NSD1
  3. LITEON IHAS124-14 (F?)
  4. ASUS DRW-24D5MT
  5. ASUS DRW-24F1MT
  6. LITEON IHAS324 (F?)
  7. PIONEER DVR-221

Have already looked for information in the forum but any suggestions are welcome.

I’d go with Pioneer for quality always.

Also I recommend checking manufacturer’s website for each drive to observe how often and how recently they release firmware updates.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Although, these Pioneer DVD writers are not like the DVR-217 & earlier. They are QSI models. Still not bad, but not necessarily quite as great at those older Pioneer drives (or the current Pioneer BDRE drives).

Quite possibly still better than the alternatives.

I suggest you read the relevant ‘Results & Discussion’ threads for each drive before making a decision.

I haven’t used any of these drives, but if CD-R writing quality is important, I would look at the Samsung or Pioneer first. The recent predecessors of these drives looked like decent CD writers.

For DVD±R I would be inclined to look towards a Lite-On. Their recent drives looked like they were still decent DVD writers, but I have some doubts about the F series from what I’ve seen,

IIRC, the Asus DRW-24D5MT is a rebadged LG and the DRW-24F1MT a rebadged Lite-On (although it appears that it could be either an E or F series).

As Albert mentioned, if writing quality is paramount you may wish to consider a Pioneer Blu-ray writer. They can still be considered ‘real’ Pioneer drives

Wow! my drives are old. Among the Samsungs, LiteONs, Plextors, LG and of course BenQs I do have a Pioneer DVR-215D that is still rolling along and doing good work.

it’s better to choose between Lite On iHAS 124-4 F or iHAS 324 F because they both good in writing and also in scan disc.

If you buy DVD Writer unable to do scan disc so how you known the burned disc’s quality ?

After burned the disc you could do scan of the disc quality.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2784810]IIRC, the Asus DRW-24D5MT is a rebadged LG and the DRW-24F1MT a rebadged Lite-On (although it appears that it could be either an E or F series).[/QUOTE]

I believe the DRW-24F1MT is a rebadged Samsung and not LiteOn.

[QUOTE=rainydiary;2784825]it’s better to choose between Lite On iHAS 124-4 F or iHAS 324 F because they both good in writing and also in scan disc.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking to get another LiteOn just to scan, but I am willing to also get a drive just for burning. I never burn and scan discs using the same drive, so in other words I don’t burn with LiteOn drives.

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2784837]I believe the DRW-24F1MT is a rebadged Samsung and not LiteOn.
[/QUOTE]
Doh! Not sure why I typed Lite-On, I distinctly remember double checking and confirming it was a Samsung. :frowning:

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2784837]
I never burn and scan discs using the same drive, so in other words I don’t burn with LiteOn drives.
[/QUOTE]
Why not? If a drive is a good writer then there’s no reason not to use it.

One reason Lite-Ons (& Mediatek drives in general) are preferred for scanning is because they were found to be the least affected by which drive wrote the disc.

([B]Dee[/B] researched the matter in detail and produced an excellent article for this site back in 2005.)

If one wishes to be cautious, then there are certainly benefits to scanning, verifying and transfer rate testing discs with multiple drives. There are very good reasons for performing the read back tests (verify & TRT) in drive(s) other then the one which wrote the disc. But even then there is no general reason not the include the writing drive as one of them.

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2784837]I believe the DRW-24F1MT is a rebadged Samsung and not Lite On.

I was thinking to get another LiteOn just to scan, but I am willing to also get a drive just for burning. I never burn and scan discs using the same drive, so in other words I don’t burn with Lite On drives.[/QUOTE]

Now only 2 DVD Writer manufacturers still exist they are Lite On and LG.

Between the 2 I would choose Lite On because current LG drive minimal low burn speed is 8x and Lite On is 6x.

I remember some said burning using LG drive caused colorful circle ring on the disc.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2784856]Doh! Not sure why I typed Lite-On, I distinctly remember double checking and confirming it was a Samsung. :frowning:

Why not? If a drive is a good writer then there’s no reason not to use it.

One reason Lite-Ons (& Mediatek drives in general) are preferred for scanning is because they were found to be the least affected by which drive wrote the disc.

([B]Dee[/B] researched the matter in detail and produced an excellent article for this site back in 2005.)

If one wishes to be cautious, then there are certainly benefits to scanning, verifying and transfer rate testing discs with multiple drives. There are very good reasons for performing the read back tests (verify & TRT) in drive(s) other then the one which wrote the disc. But even then there is no general reason not the include the writing drive as one of them.[/QUOTE]
I did some tests and I though Lite-On drives were not the best writers (or at least others produced better results). And Samsung drives have also been using Mediatek chipsets for some time now. I currently have only two drives in my system which I use one for burning and one for scanning. My experience has shown that if media is of good quality then generally the results would be about the same regardless the drive.

[QUOTE=rainydiary;2784862]Now only 2 DVD Writer manufacturers still exist they are Lite On and LG.

Between the 2 I would choose Lite On because current LG drive minimal low burn speed is 8x and Lite On is 6x.

I remember some said burning using LG drive caused colorful circle ring on the disc.[/QUOTE]
What about Samsung? I have an older external LG drive but I have never noticed such a circle.

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2784886]I did some tests and I though Lite-On drives were not the best writers (or at least others produced better results). And Samsung drives have also been using Mediatek chipsets for some time now. I currently have only two drives in my system which I use one for burning and one for scanning. My experience has shown that if media is of good quality then generally the results would be about the same regardless the drive.

What about Samsung ? I have an older external LG drive but I have never noticed such a circle.[/QUOTE]

I don;t know how about samsung but it was not worth to buy samsung drive since the company has stopped manufacturing it.

What are brands and models of drives you are using now in system ?

[QUOTE=rainydiary;2784889]I don;t know how about samsung but it was not worth to buy samsung drive since the company has stopped manufacturing it.

What are brands and models of drives you are using now in system ?[/QUOTE]
I don’t think Samsung stopped manufacturing optical drives, but they are manufacturing them together with Toshiba. I am using Samsung SH-224BB to burn and LiteOn iHAS122 to scan.

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2784893]I don’t think Samsung stopped manufacturing optical drives, but they are manufacturing them together with Toshiba. I am using Samsung SH-224BB to burn and Lite On iHAS 122 to scan.[/QUOTE]

Here are the news :

In addition to what rainydiary posted, all Samsung drives for the past 10 or more years had been TSSTcorp (Toshiba Samsung Storage Tech Corp). So they were part of a joint venture that, after a while, it seems Toshiba didn’t care to use.

And that is the joint venture which has ceased to exist, which – simplified-- means no more Samsung drives.

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2784886]I did some tests and I though Lite-On drives were not the best writers (or at least others produced better results). [/QUOTE]
One cannot judge the writing quality of a drive by its brand name. Every major manufacturer has produced good models and bad models over the years. (Except BTC. :Z) Even Pioneer & Plextor have released unreliable, half-baked monstrosities.

Lite-On have made some of the very best, and worst, DVD writers of all time. It all depends on the particular model, and firmware version.

For example, the SHM-165P6S was a bit of a dog when it first appeared. But numerous firmware updates eventually turned it into one of the greats.

[QUOTE=rainydiary;2784897]Here are the news :

http://www.myce.com/news/toshiba-samsung-storage-technology-tsst-stopped-making-cd-dvd-blu-ray-burners-79463[/QUOTE]
I missed that story.

Very sad. They made some great drives. :sad:

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2784886]I did some tests and I though Lite-On drives were not the best writers (or at least others produced better results). And Samsung drives have also been using Mediatek chipsets for some time now. I currently have only two drives in my system which I use one for burning and one for scanning. My experience has shown that if media is of good quality then generally the results would be about the same regardless the drive.

What about Samsung ? I have an older external LG drive but I have never noticed such a circle.[/QUOTE]

Did you ever been burn disc with Samsung SH-224BB and iHAS 122 using Verbatim disc and burn speed then scan them using iHAS 122 ?

Could you posting the scan disc result in here ?

Here are my scan disc from iHAS 124 F with Maxell DVD-R. Burn speed 6x.

[QUOTE=rainydiary;2784935]Did you ever been burn disc with Samsung SH-224BB and iHAS 122 using Verbatim disc and burn speed then scan them using iHAS 122 ?

Could you posting the scan disc result in here ?

Here are my scan disc from iHAS 124 F with Maxell DVD-R. Burn speed 6x.[/QUOTE]

I always burn with SH-224BB and scan with iHAS 122. I already uploaded several scans of Verbatim media under Blank DVD Media Tests.

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2785089]I always burn with SH-224BB and scan with iHAS 122. I already uploaded several scans of Verbatim media under Blank DVD Media Tests.[/QUOTE]

I have see it at here :

I think the scan result wasn’t good enough. Why you haven’t try burn it with iHAS 122 ?

You had burn the disc using what kind of software ?

[QUOTE=rainydiary;2785105]I have see it at here :

I think the scan result wasn’t good enough. Why you haven’t try burn it with iHAS 122 ?

You had burn the disc using what kind of software ?[/QUOTE]

I did and the burns with iHAS 122 scan worse than the ones with SH-224BB.

All burns with ImgBurn.