New DVD Writer with Dual Layer purchase help

I possibly need to get a new DVD Writer with Dual Layer. I have to use IDE connection because I have an older computer P4 2.4. Only have two sata connections for my hard drives, not enough sata ports to run sata writer. I am running Vista. I do have 2 GB of mem and a very good, but old NVIDIA fx5950 250meg video card.

Here is my problem. I need to make a backup of my Navigation DVD. These DVD’s are very expensive, and if it gets scratched or just something else like heat get to it, it will cost me to replace. I just want to have a copy just in case. It needs to be burned on a DVD +R DL disk and the bitsetting needs to be on DVD-ROM. I have Verbatim 8x DVD +R DL disks.

I have right now two writers in my computer, a Sony DRU-830A which for some reason the only way you can set the booktype is thru Nero, which I own the 8.0 version. But for me to make the copy I can’t use Nero. I really haven’t figured a way to set the booktype of the DVD +R DL to DVD-Rom without using Nero.

The second Writer I have, which is a couple years old is the Mad Dog MD-16XDVD9 (NEC ND-3500AG rebadge) It does have DVD +R DL and bitsetting for ROM but at really low speeds. I think the Max was 4X. Would the Mad Dog be ok to burn a DVD +R DL and do what I want? What setting would I use? I really don’t want to waste disks. Anyone had any results with the Mad Dog and +R dual layer set at ROM

I could pick up cheap a LiteON 20A1P cheap. Would that drive work any better? Any other options. I have Best Buys, Circuit City, CompUSA and Staples near me. Unless I order something online.

Let me know what you think my best option is?

The LH-20A1P has been tested pretty extensively by a poster named, gashliquor.

He could chime in about the 20A1P, but from what Ive read it makes highly compatible dual layer copies.

Also, always burn at 2.4X. Burning any faster could cause a coastered disc, and especially if your backing up something important or costly, burn at 2.4X.

So maybe your other drives at 2.4X, wait for others to offer their opinions.

In ImgBurn Write Mode, click the little book in the right hand corner & then click Advance, you might get a surprise. re; the Sony drive. My feeling is that ImgBurn would set the booktype automatically for Dvd+R DL to Dvd-Rom.

I still got my 3500A in the computer and though it doesn’t burn at 20x, it still is a good drive. I’m not sure if the NEC/Mad Dog firmware will support the Verbatim 8x +R9 (MKM003), but for sure, 2.4x +R9 (MKM001) that will burn at 4x. I’ve burned a few long time ago and the discs have worked well. Mad Dog firmwares will allow bitsetting on +R/+R9 media.

I could pick up cheap a LiteON 20A1P cheap. Would that drive work any better? Any other options. I have Best Buys, Circuit City, CompUSA and Staples near me. Unless I order something online.

Just know that you will be paying (much) more at a retail store since someone has to pay for the advertising. :slight_smile: But it does allow returning easier if it didn’t work well. Otherwise, I’d suggest checking Newegg since they will definitely be cheaper. BTW, your Sony 830A is a Samsung S182B, you may want to check and search the Samsung forum for some feedback.

Actually, come to think of it. Someone asked me to burn a NAV disc for them before and the backup didn’t work. IIRC, the original NAV disc used PTP (Parallel Track Path) burning method, whereas all backups use OTP (Opposite Track Path) method. I made sure the backup scanned properly, didn’t have any anomalies that could’ve cause it not to read in a computer drive. However, the NAV reader just didn’t work.