New DVD-RW will not recognize DVD's

Hey everybody,

Thanks for taking a look first off.

I own a Sony dru-540 DVD burner which just stopped reading cd’s. So I figured I’d upgrade and I bought a Sony dru-830. After installation it read CD’s and burned both CD’s and DVD’s, but wouldn’t read DVD’s. So I returned it and got a new one, but was having the same problem. Then I returned that and bought a Memorex and am staill having the same problem. I hooked the Memorex into another PC and it reads DVD’s just fine. It’s only when its hooked up to my main PC that it won’t read them. It burns them fine though.

My setup:

AMD Athlon 64 3000
MSI NVIDIA N Force 3 Ultra Chipset K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 gig RAM

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks again and have a great day.

Kevin

Make sure that you are not running Nvidia IDE Controller drivers. Use only the default MS driver. You’ll find this in the “update driver” dialog in device manager on the IDE controller.

When you say “won’t read”, do you mean it doesn’t recognize them at all? Can you explore files on a DVD? If it’s just that you can’t play a DVD video, re-install your player software.

Thanks for the reply.

I actually can’t explore DVD’s.

I checked the Device Manager and the driver for the IDE controller is an Nvidia driver. How do I get back to the MS driver?

Thanks again

Have a look here: I am having strange problems with my Plextor DVD recorder and I’m using an nVidia based motherboard. This is Plextor FAQ but it tells you how to uninstall your nVidia drivers.
You could also try updating to the latest nVidia drivers as some folks report the newest drivers work ok.:slight_smile:

Only reading that made me believe it was the “burn-gap-error” explained in the Samsung Forum about 182 burners, equal to the 830…

Thanks a million for the reply guys. I’ll let you know if rolling back the driver works.

Have a great day.

[quote=kevinrat;1594535]Thanks a million for the reply guys. I’ll let you know if rolling back the driver works.

Have a great day.[/quote]

I would like to explain something. There are thousands of every day Joes like me that do a little thing called “Google search” Beleive it or not, but really old threads come up like this one. I and many others would love to see the outcome of the orginal posters complain. He states, “Thanks a million for the reply guys. I’ll let you know if rolling back the driver works.” Now did it work? We have no idea. Now we have to do ANOTHER search on google because some Jackass didn’t have the decency to come back here and let us know how or IF it worked or not.

Stupid fokers!