New DVD/RW quality?

I just purchased a Pacific Digital 8x dvd +/- burner, a rebadged LiteOn 851s. I’ve burned some cdrs, and when doing a quality check with kprobe or Nero CD Quality Check there is consistently an isolated sharp spike of c2 error right at the half way point on the disks (40 min). So far I’ve tried 2 different disks, AT&T (CMC) and Fuji (taiyo yuden). Should I be concerned about this? Should I return the drive for exchange as likely faulty?

My system specs: Asus k8v, Athlon 64 3200+, 1G ram, Radeon 9700pro, SB Live, Win2k pro. Thanks.

In Lite-On DVD-Writers there will always be a error spike when doing a CD-R disc quality test. Nothing to worry about.

That’s why I recommend Lite-On CD-R(NOT DVD-Writers) drives for scanning CD-R/RW discs and Lite-On DVD-Writers for scanning DVDR/RW discs :wink:

Is that because the DVD drives use Zoned CLV to reach maximum speeds?

Seems unlikely when they read at 40x.
I thought they used CAV.

They use CAV for everything except DVD-Writeing so that is not the issue.

It’s a misreporting of the chipset/drive and not related to reading/writing strategy.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]In Lite-On DVD-Writers there will always be a error spike when doing a CD-R disc quality test. Nothing to worry about.

That’s why I recommend Lite-On CD-R(NOT DVD-Writers) drives for scanning CD-R/RW discs and Lite-On DVD-Writers for scanning DVDR/RW discs :wink: [/B]

Thank you for your reply. Good to know that this is just an artifact.