New DVD/RW Freezes on Boot

vbimport

Hello,

I bought a Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7200A last week, so I stick it in to find that the computer freezes on the boot screen ( it hangs where it says detecting IDE drives).

Now I’ve ruled out the PSU not providing enough juice as the computer boots up and the drive works without the IDE cable plugged in, I’ve also tried plugging in the IDE cable into the drive while in Windows which becomes pretty much unresponsive and eventually a BSOD occurs with a short message “internal error” or something. I’ve also tried updating the motherboard BIOS but the latest version for it was out in 2003. I haven’t tried using a differant cable though but my old drive worked fine until I swapped it out.

Anyway, heres the specs:

Athlon XP 2400+
768Mb DDR RAM
MSI MS-6390
250W PSU

Cheers

How many drives do you have on that channel. Possible you didnt change the jumper on the back.

I replaced the old drive with this one so it should be on channel 0, although i have’nt changed jumpers ill try and see if that will help.

Hi all,

The jumper was set to master at first, I then tried it in slave to see if that would help but it still freezes on the boot screen. I’ll try the drive in another computer and see if it will work. Is there a possibility that the drive simply is incompatible with my hardware?

Thanks

Look at the other drive that is on the same IDE cable to see how the jumper on it is. It could be on CS=Cable Select. It’s best to use master/slave but some mobo’s prefer CS on both drives.

It could be a bad IDE cable also.

Try it in another machine like you said and see.

Master goes on the end of the cable and slave goes on the middle connector.

You can’t have cable select & master or cable select & slave you have to have cable select & cable select or master/slave.

[QUOTE=jcusimano2;2024152]You can’t have cable select & master or cable select & slave you have to have cable select & cable select or master/slave.[/QUOTE]I thought that is what i typed? And yes that is correct :slight_smile:

Hi all,

I should of been more clear I am only using one drive at a time which is why I was surprised the new drive did’nt work when I swapped it with the old one.

Anyway I fiddled about changing the jumper but it still would’nt boot, so I decided to throw in my old drive to be greeted with the same problem, “Ah ha” says I, the cable must be dead. So I swapped the cable out with a new IDE cable and result, the computer booted up with the old drive. I then stuck the Optiarc back in and that booted up no problems as well, get in. :slight_smile:

Now lets hope I have’nt broken the drive itself by being stupid and plugging the IDE cable in whilst in Windows as someone on another forum pointed out.

Thanks all, you’ve been extremely helpful on this

[QUOTE=Joker Jam;2024683]Hi all,

I should of been more clear I am only using one drive at a time which is why I was surprised the new drive did’nt work when I swapped it with the old one.

Anyway I fiddled about changing the jumper but it still would’nt boot, so I decided to throw in my old drive to be greeted with the same problem, “Ah ha” says I, the cable must be dead. So I swapped the cable out with a new IDE cable and result, the computer booted up with the old drive. I then stuck the Optiarc back in and that booted up no problems as well, get in. :slight_smile:

Now lets hope I have’nt broken the drive itself by being stupid and plugging the IDE cable in whilst in Windows as someone on another forum pointed out.

Thanks all, you’ve been extremely helpful on this[/QUOTE]:cool: :clap: For some reason IDE cables are kind of delicate. I have had to replace a few in the past also. Glad you figured out your problem.

What mobo?
Seems to be really old…

[quote=chef;2024905]What mobo?
Seems to be really old…[/quote]

Correct, the motherboard is ancient, around 2002 - 2003 I think.

Its not that surprising that the cable was dead as it must be 6 or 7 years old, see I bought this system back in 2001 but the motherboard was replaced about 2 years after.