New DVD DRIVE REGION CODE?

Hello everyone- I have an old HP Pavilion Machine.

I want to replace the DVDRW drive as its stuck on region 1 and I want region 4.

I called HP and they can sell me a new drive US$123.53 etc.

I asked them “what region code would this be”? They said they didnt know and I had to contact Microsoft.

I contacted Microsoft and they said it wasnt a Microsoft issue?!

So I feel like I’m in no mans land. I dont want something for nothing - I just dont want to spend money if I dont know what I’m getting.

Any ideas please?

every good wish,

David

Hi Dark63 and welcome to the forums. :flower:

It won’t be any region code initially.

The first time you play a disc the region code will be set and every time you play a different region the drive’s region code will change up to a maximum of usually 3-5 times.

This is probably what has happened to your existing drive and you’ve used up your allocated number of changes.

Rather than replacing the drive, a cheaper alternative would be to go down the software route and run a memory resident program such as DVDFab Passkey which will make all discs seem region free.

There are freeware alternatives that we can’t discuss in the DVDFab forum but if you want details let me know and I’ll move the thread.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=DARK63;2652234]Hello everyone- I have an old HP Pavilion Machine.

I want to replace the DVDRW drive as its stuck on region 1 and I want region 4.

I called HP and they can sell me a new drive US$123.53 etc.

I asked them “what region code would this be”? They said they didnt know and I had to contact Microsoft.

I contacted Microsoft and they said it wasnt a Microsoft issue?!

So I feel like I’m in no mans land. I dont want something for nothing - I just dont want to spend money if I dont know what I’m getting.

Any ideas please?

every good wish,

David[/QUOTE]Hi david I have one check and see if your dvd burner is a IDE with a ribbon cable if so you should be able to find one for 20.00 to 40.00
if it is a sata you can find them for 20.00 on sale on newegg and other places don’t pay HP 123.00 for a 20.00 burner.:slight_smile: