New DVD copy protection

I have a DVD from India, I tried to read the files on the disc, it shows two folders: AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. Inside the VIDEO_TS folder, there are only couple of files with the size in KB. Its a DVD9, so the total file size should be more than 7GB. This DVD works fine in the DVD player, but doesnot show any files on the disc from the windows explorer. I tried with Slysoft AnyDVD, still it doesnot show anything.

Do you have any idea what kind of protections is this?

When you say you used AnyDVD, do you mean that you had it running in the background when you tried to open the dvd with Windows Explorer? Or do you mean that you tried to copy the disc to the hard drive using the built-in ripper found within AnyDVD?

I did not know that AnyDVD has a built in ripper. I had AnyDVD running on the background, and I was checking in windows explorer.

Put your disc in the optical drive.

While you have AnyDVD running, right click on the fox icon at the bottom right of your screen. You will see a pop up window with options, one of which is Rip Video DVD to Harddisk. Try this and see if it will work once you have it on the hard drive.

If you need a software player to play back the ripped dvd, try VLC.

Files on the disc:
AUDIO_TS:Empty Folder
VIDEO_TS: 2 Files: VIDEO_TS.IFO, VIDEO_TS.VOB
Files:
Readme-1st.txt
VLC-Player.exe

If you see the disc surface, from the center, there is a clear circle at the 30% of the height. Basically, this is a kind of copy protection, which is blocking the files list to be visible from the windows explorer, even AnyDVD is not able to break it.

Not something I’ve seen.

If the dvd will play from the drive in the computer, you may have to capture it as it plays. There are several programs that can do this, like Camtasia, Audials Tunebite or Action! from Mirillis.

If it won’t play from the drive in the computer, you might have to use a capture card or usb capture device connected to your dvd player through composite, s-video or component cables.

Capture as it plays will not be quite as good picture quality in general.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2673392]Not something I’ve seen.

If the dvd will play from the drive in the computer, you may have to capture it as it plays. There are several programs that can do this, like Camtasia, Audials Tunebite or Action! from Mirillis.

If it won’t play from the drive in the computer, you might have to use a capture card or usb capture device connected to your dvd player through composite, s-video or component cables.

Capture as it plays will not be quite as good picture quality in general.[/QUOTE]
Thats a screener, all screener have or show an empty Video TS folder but its an illusion, the files are there. They also show no protection in AnyDVD but its there and they are also burned not pressed usually on DVD5 media. The protection is almost unbreakable because it calls home. If this is the case with this video, I would leave it alone unless it belongs to you legally. I am not accusing , just posting a likely senario.:slight_smile:

I want to rip this DVD so I can play it my hard drive. I have seen people ripping the other DVDs with same kind of protection. The ring on the disc surface is hiding the file list.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2673397]Thats a screener, all screener have or show an empty Video TS folder but its an illusion, the files are there. They also show no protection in AnyDVD but its there and they are also burned not pressed usually on DVD5 media. The protection is almost unbreakable because it calls home. If this is the case with this video, I would leave it alone unless it belongs to you legally. I am not accusing , just posting a likely senario.:)[/QUOTE]

Its not a burned, its a pressed DVD9.

[QUOTE=dvdrepl;2673401]I want to rip this DVD so I can play it my hard drive. I have seen people ripping the other DVDs with same kind of protection. The ring on the disc surface is hiding the file list.[/QUOTE]
If you know someone who has broken this protection, then it would probably be best to discuss it with them, as they have the necessary experience.

Though it might be interesting to hear the steps they used, so feel free to share it here (assuming you are breaking this encryption on discs you have obtained legally).

I haven’t see one of these discs but I have a suggestion.
Run AnyDVD in the background & see if IsoPuzzle can rip it.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2673397]Thats a screener, all screener have or show an empty Video TS folder but its an illusion, the files are there. They also show no protection in AnyDVD but its there and they are also burned not pressed usually on DVD5 media. The protection is almost unbreakable because it calls home. If this is the case with this video, I would leave it alone unless it belongs to you legally. I am not accusing , just posting a likely senario.:)[/QUOTE]

I was having a look at the structure of these recently but can’t see anything exceptionally abnormal.

There’s a lot of dummy stuff in there but PgcEdit was still able to view and clean up the structure.

I’ve only seen the IFOs though and not the full disc.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=dvdrepl;2673405]Its not a burned, its a pressed DVD9.[/QUOTE]

Can you post your AnyDVD log here please as I wouldn’t mind seeing this one?

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2673416]I was having a look at the structure of these recently but can’t see anything exceptionally abnormal.

There’s a lot of dummy stuff in there but PgcEdit was still able to view and clean up the structure.

I’ve only seen the IFOs though and not the full disc.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]
Yo Stephen you have this disc also?

[QUOTE=alan1476;2673425]Yo Stephen you have this disc also?[/QUOTE]

No, I’ve only seen the IFOs.

That’s part of the problem analysing this as I’d need the disc to be able to research this properly.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2673384]Put your disc in the optical drive.

While you have AnyDVD running, right click on the fox icon at the bottom right of your screen. You will see a pop up window with options, one of which is Rip Video DVD to Harddisk.
[/QUOTE]

This process worked. AnyDVD broke the protection, inaddition to the hiding of the files, the disc had structural protection. Finally, AnyDVD worked.

Good, I’m glad we were able to help.

[QUOTE=dvdrepl;2673558]This process worked. AnyDVD broke the protection, inaddition to the hiding of the files, the disc had structural protection. Finally, AnyDVD worked.[/QUOTE]

Ah right this sounds different to the new screener protection.

Glad you got it sorted though.

[B]Wombler[/B]