New dvd burner

vbimport

hello everyone i am thinking about buying a new dvd burner for my dell dimension 1100 pc… ive looked all over the internet and the cheapest ones i could find were internal burners. sigh… does that mean that i am going to have to get a new case for my computer… i know they are expensive, can you possibly find a really cheap dvd burner that is compatible with my computer,. help is much appreciated as i been saving my paper for this,

btw i have
dell dimension 1100
1gb pny pc3200 ddr memory (nice)
running windows vista home premium

Looking at the specs on the 1100 Dell Dimension, you seem to have two 5.25 drive bays, one of which is being used by the original cd or dvd drive that came with the machine. You should be able to take the cover off the second drive bay and put in another optical drive, or simply replace the one that is there.

I suspect you have a regular IDE interface drive in a machine of this vintage. A good replacement would be a Pioneer 115D

You will have to set the jumper on the back of the drive before hooking it up to the IDE cable. Set it to CS (cable select) since this is the usual method that Dell uses for IDE devices.

Yo Kerry-

Excellent advice - excellent burner in the Pioneer 115D (I have two)-eh!!

[QUOTE=DJ B;2013230]hello everyone i am thinking about buying a new dvd burner for my dell dimension 1100 pc… ive looked all over the internet and the cheapest ones i could find were internal burners. sigh… does that mean that i am going to have to get a new case for my computer… i know they are expensive, can you possibly find a really cheap dvd burner that is compatible with my computer,. help is much appreciated as i been saving my paper for this,

btw i have
dell dimension 1100
1gb pny pc3200 ddr memory (nice)
running windows vista home premium[/QUOTE]

So do you have a burner drive that your looking at? You probably noticed reading all the forums or much as you can that each users’ experience has their choice in the type of drive they purchase and use. You should take a look at each burner manufacture site and read the specs and see what in those drives would match your burning needs and well as support and warranty and firmware updates. I don’t know what your plans are for the burner buy from my own experience using Liteon drives have done well for me I still have my old 832S drive along with the newer one a 20A1H liteon drive of which both each have the most current firmware on them. But if you plan on using your old drive with the new drive on the same cable make sure you have one as master and one as slave setup to function correctly. But as for price they are relatively inexpensive for drives now but that will depend on where you live and what is available for you the purchase at your local electronics store and if you wanting to also purchase online as sometimes you do get a lower price. But just do some research on here and find out what people tell about their experience with there particular units and from that you can gather what your needs will be.