New DVD burner installed. No DVD audio

I changed out DVD burners. Now the new and the one I replaced have NO DVD audio. CD audio is fine.

I bought an OEM Nec 3550A drive. Had to fool around with the jumper set-up. Now jumpers are where they were when I began: CD drive is set on CS (?) and the DVD drive is set on Slave.

There was a point where the jumpers were set wrong and when I turned the machine on it would not go through the boot. When I changed the jumpers all was OK except no DVD sound.

Hope you can help!
Thanks,
Carl

Are these on the same cable 'cos if so they both need to be CS or master/slave. You can’t mixed Cable Select & master/slave on the same cable. Also with master/slave the master device must be on the end of the connection & the slave on the middle conection.

TimC,
Thanks for the information. First time I saw it spelled out so simply!

It did not help, though. Nothing has changed. CD drive and old and new DVD drives play CD’s. OLD AND NEW DVD DRIVES PLAY DVD’s BUT THERE IS NO AUDIO. CD is on end of cable and is Master. DVD drive set to Slave. Tried CS on both, too…no change.

Any further suggestions? Check out paragraph 3 of my original message. Did I screw something up with incorrect jumper settings…when the machine would not boot up properly?

I hope you can help. THANKS AGAIN,
Carl

In Device Manager , double click on the burner & select properties. The Enable digital CD audio … needs to be checked. Probably is as CD audio is OK.

What software are you using to play the DVDs?

Getting the jumpers wrong can prevent booting but it shouldn’t screw things up.

Devise manager: CD was checked

Software: No DVD audio in Real Player or Windows Media Player.

Just a suggestion, I don’t really know much about this problem:

Try playing a DVD with VLC player (www.videolan.org ), since VLC does not rely on other programs/codecs, you will be able to tell if it is software (problem with AAC codec?) or hardware giving you issues.

I installed (www.videolan.org ). Does it play when used in conjunction with Real or Windows? I opened it and inserted a DVD. Nothing happened. No screen apppeared and no sound.

If you’re scratching your head…Who should I contact or what do you suggest my next move should be?

Thanks,
Carl

Just run VLC & from the file option choose what you want to do , like open disc.

Oh my gosh!!! I selected the drive…then it opened!!! There is sound but it is badly garbled… Perhaps that tells you something??

THANKS!
Carl

I went to the following site to determine if audio drivers were bad. I guess Audio Driver is bad. I downloaded the update but can’t get it to install.

Below are the results of YOUR Driver Detective Scan. Please review your results. Devices marked with a bad indicate a driver update is available for download. Devices marked with good indicate the driver is up to date or there is no update available at this time. Select the download icon and the driver download location will appear along with your current driver information, the new driver information and extra information about the download. Make sure to read all information and follow driver download instructions. If you need help with downloading and installing drivers please select the “help” in the menu bar.

Good Driver Good Driver Bad Driver Bad Driver Read Extra Info Read Extra Info Download Driver Download Driver
Expand All Results Collapse All Results

Sound, video and game controllers
[B][B] Avance AC97 Audio [/B] Bad Driver Download Driver[/B]
There is driver available for this device with a newer date than the one on your system. We show a newer version available than the version currently on your system.

DRIVER UPDATE LOCATION: Download Driver | Report Bad Link
MANUFACTURE WEBSITE: Location Found | Report Bad Link
Your System: Our System:
Driver Version: 5.10.0.3900 Driver Version: 5.10.0.6090
Driver Date: 5/30/2002 Driver Date: 05/19/2006
Your Driver Information
Company: Avance
Vendor ID: 8086
Product ID: 24C5
Extra Info: VERY INPORTANT INFORMATION For dell computer download location 3, New driver dated 04/15/2004 and driver version 6.14.01.3913Location 2 is for Dell computers using Analog Device version 5.12.01.3910 dated 11/18/2003 For all others us location 1 Updating drivers may not change driver date and version number. Second NOTE: VERY INPORTANT INFORMATION Updating drivers may not change driver date and version number. Second NOTE: Periodically, Intel releases updates for the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility. These updates are primarily to address new chipset releases. From time to time, a new version of the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility might be released that could contain a bug fix. Intel generally recommends that you do not update to the newer version if you are not experiencing issues with the version of the Intel ChipsetSoftware Installation Utility that is currently installed on you system. For more information, please refer to the following link http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/inf/upgrade.htm
Contact Help Are You Having Trouble? If you are still having trouble the fastest way to receive help is by going to the help section. Also please make sure to read the extra information provided above. If you are unable to get your question answered in regards to this driver please click here.

All information about this driver will be included with your message.
Please give complete details of your problem(s) in the area provided.