New drive problems 712A

This was posted in another in another thread.

Thank you G@M3FR3@K for the info on Kprobe. This may not be the place to start a thread but I was wondering if by chance you could help me. My new drive seams to want to read cds sometimes, and then other times it won’t. It writes a DVD fine I’m up to about 10. Sometimes I have to shut down and restart, also the drive won’t open until I do a restart. It has more problems reading cds (not cd-rs) than dvds. Specs are in prior post. This Windows OS has been freshly installed just 5 days ago. Do I have a bad drive? I am going to contact technical support today, but my expierence with tech support is usually I know more than they do.

Here are specs

OS Windows XP Home SP1
1 Athlon XP 2600 Barton core (sometimes @ 3000+)
1GB of OCZ PC3200 (2 X 512mb)
1 Radeon 9600XT 128mb AIW Dual monitor setup
1 21" Panasonic monitor (Panasync S21)
1 15" Sony Flat Panel LCD (SDM-15HSM)
1 WD 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB cache main drive
1 WD 120GB 7200 RPM 8MB cache backup drive
1 Asus A7n8x2.0 Deluxe NForce2 400 FSB motherboard
1 Plextor 712A 12x DVD-+RW FW 1.01
1 12X DVD

Try updating to 1.02 first. This is posted on the Plextor Europe site…not on the USA site yet.

I will try that, however I’m sure that won’t cure the problem. But why would they not post on US site first ?? (Beta) perhaps??

If processor overclocking is in effect I would suggest temporarily restoring the processor to standard speed to see if there is any improvement. Also, if nVidia IDE drivers are installed, try going back to Microsoft WinXP standard (inbox) IDE drivers.

I agree with scan80269. When your system is overclocked and you’re experiencing weird problems it’s often related to the OC. Please try running your system at stock speeds and see if the problems of your drive are solved. Please report back.

In many case,OC the processor will make this problem happen.Many Chinese also have the similar problem when OC their processor.