New Drive Needed But Little Choice

vbimport

My 20A1H needs replacing only problems most places I buy from don’t seem to have much in stock and I really need a new liteon drive asap.

I can get these drives at the moment LiteOn LH-20A3H, DH-20A4P-21C, DH-20A4H. Which of the 3 is the best one to get? I will be using the drive for scanning, reading and burning some +R DL(verbs).

Was thinking of getting iHAP422 as it seems to be one of the newest but like it said I can’t seem to find much at the moment.

I’d go with a 20A3H or iHAP422. The 20A1 and 20A4 series are great drives, but they can’t fully scan DL disks for jitter, so if scanning anything and everything is important, the 20A3 or iHAPx22 drives are better.

On the other hand, the 20A4H is probably the better DL burner, so I guess you have to decide which is more important, scanning or burning.

The iHAP422 is too new and no one knows how well it burns DL media.

At a guess would I be correct in saying ether of those two burn DL discs better than my current 20A1H?

I agree with negritude, my preference is for the A3 series. I’m waiting for the iHAS322 and it should be available in my shop at the end of this month. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Jedi Master Yoda;2156576]At a guess would I be correct in saying ether of those two burn DL discs better than my current 20A1H?[/QUOTE]

I would say that the 20A4x series probably burns DL media better. The 20A3x series is not known for being a good DL burner. As I said before, the iHAP drives are too new, so we don’t know how good they are at DL burning. You have to make a decision about going with what’s known, or taking a chance on the unknown. You’re trying to split hairs, but you’re not going to get everything you need in a single drive.

[QUOTE=negritude;2157032]I would say that the 20A4x series probably burns DL media better. The 20A3x series is not known for being a good DL burner. As I said before, the iHAP drives are too new, so we don’t know how good they are at DL burning. You have to make a decision about going with what’s known, or taking a chance on the unknown. You’re trying to split hairs, but you’re not going to get everything you need in a single drive.[/QUOTE]

Fair Enough, Some pondering is now needed before I buy a drive.

[QUOTE=Jedi Master Yoda;2157089]Fair Enough, Some pondering is now needed before I buy a drive.[/QUOTE]
wow how things changes (the good 'ole Litey days - this forum was so active, KProbe was my best friend)

i miss the good 'ole Litey DVD burning days - when we all knew which kick *ss Litey to go out and buy (and save $$$ by cross-flashing) - all at the “beginning” of the DVD+R revolution :slight_smile:

… i also miss the days of the Ben-Q 1640 - a great drive that was well known

now in the SATA days , there’s just not such a clear cut winner out there (so far i have had decent luck with a Sony / NEC drive, i’m looking for a second SATA burner, i think i’ll get a Litey - prob a iHAS220 - nice price , i know my new SATA Optiarc is “ok”, so the Litey doesn’t have to be “all that” - just has to be a decent ripper (also playback drive) - which i know shouldn’t be an issue - and i can finally run w/o an IDE controller for the 1st time ever (currently my Ben-Q 1640 is still holding on)