New drive for CD-R burning

vbimport

Hello,

I’m looking to back up many of my music CDs and I’m planning on using the higher grade TYs (the printable ones) and would like to know what burner I should use along with this media. I don’t really care about the speed as long as I get the best burn quality possible. External burners would be my preference but I realize that they might not be the best options…

thanks in advance

Hi and Welcome!

Guess you are somewhat late considering the fact that the real good drives have vanished from the market.
See if you can get a real Optiarc as long as they are available (they went out of business). The other option would be something from LG.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2683847]Hi and Welcome!

Guess you are somewhat late considering the fact that the real good drives have vanished from the market.
See if you can get a real Optiarc as long as they are available (they went out of business). The other option would be something from LG.

Michael[/QUOTE]

thanks !!

would http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118073 be a real Optiarc ?

I found an older plextor on ebay http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Plextor-PX-810SA-CD-DVD-Rewritable-Drive-/400378277232?pt=US_CD_DVD_Blu_Ray_Drives&hash=item5d3867ad70

and there’s an LG on newegg http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136259

if you had to buy one, which one would you get (under 100$) & not necessarily one of these ?

I read an old thread which you responded to in 2009. it seems the AD 72xx were the best, is the 7200 IDE as good as the 7260 SATA or the optiarc i linked to ? I can still get those.

thanks

The Optiarcs that came after the 7200 series were generally pretty good…just not quite as outstanding with dvd burns. I for one never had many issues with my 7240s, though there are others who did have some problems.

The one you linked at Newegg is probably every bit as good as the 7260, so if the one at Newegg is more convenient to purchase, you should get it. Seems a bit overpriced, but I suppose that is to be expected seeing as it is likely to be the very last retail Optiarc drive.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2683868]The Optiarcs that came after the 7200 series were generally pretty good…just not quite as outstanding with dvd burns. I for one never had many issues with my 7240s, though there are others who did have some problems.

The one you linked at Newegg is probably every bit as good as the 7260, so if the one at Newegg is more convenient to purchase, you should get it. Seems a bit overpriced, but I suppose that is to be expected seeing as it is likely to be the very last retail Optiarc drive.[/QUOTE]

thank you very much! I’ll probably get that. And if ever I wanna get an external burner (for CDs once again) for portability, any brands or models you’d recommend ?

thanks

I don’t recommend the slim drives, and unfortunately, those are just about the only external drives that are available these days. Form has triumphed over function.

You can still get this LG at Amazon, but I’m certain it won’t be around for long: http://www.amazon.com/LG-Super-Multi-SecurDisc-LightScribe-GE24LU20/dp/B003TTK2X4/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1365558815&sr=8-18&keywords=external+dvd+burner

There is a new, full sized blu ray external burner from LG. But it is very expensive by comparison, and outside your needs. http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-BE14NU40-Black-Mdiscext/dp/B00ACOQF2Q

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2683873]I don’t recommend the slim drives, and unfortunately, those are just about the only external drives that are available these days. Form has triumphed over function.

You can still get this LG at Amazon, but I’m certain it won’t be around for long: http://www.amazon.com/LG-Super-Multi-SecurDisc-LightScribe-GE24LU20/dp/B003TTK2X4/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1365558815&sr=8-18&keywords=external+dvd+burner

There is a new, full sized blu ray external burner from LG. But it is very expensive by comparison, and outside your needs. http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-BE14NU40-Black-Mdiscext/dp/B00ACOQF2Q[/QUOTE]

I have an old Samsung SE-S224Q (USB2) any ideas if it’s any good at burning CDrs ?

otherwise, are the blurays generally good with CDrs ?

I’m almost done with the questions… thanks

I’m afraid I don’t know anything about that external Samsung drive. I’ve had no problems with my internal Samsung dvd burner, but you can’t extrapolate experience from one drive to the next with much accuracy. Sometimes in the same family of drives, that works, but it doesn’t always hold true even on drives that are very similar. Firmware differences can play a role. (that’s a very wordy reply meaning I don’t know if it will be adequate for what you want to do). :slight_smile:

Should be fine, but no guarantees.

There were some issues found in the Lite-on blu ray burners and burning cds. I would avoid them, if your main use will be with cd media. Stick with the Pioneer or LG blu ray drives. I have a much older LG blu ray burner and a fairly new Pioneer 207MBK, and haven’t had any problems burning cds. But I burn perhaps four or five cds in a year and always use the very best discs, which are Taiyo Yuden.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2683876]I’m afraid I don’t know anything about that external Samsung drive. I’ve had no problems with my internal Samsung dvd burner, but you can’t extrapolate experience from one drive to the next with much accuracy. Sometimes in the same family of drives, that works, but it doesn’t always hold true even on drives that are very similar. Firmware differences can play a role. (that’s a very wordy reply meaning I don’t know if it will be adequate for what you want to do). :slight_smile:

Should be fine, but no guarantees.

There were some issues found in the Lite-on blu ray burners and burning cds. I would avoid them, if your main use will be with cd media. Stick with the Pioneer or LG blu ray drives. I have a much older LG blu ray burner and a fairly new Pioneer 207MBK, and haven’t had any problems burning cds. [B]But I burn perhaps four or five cds in a year and always use the very best discs, which are Taiyo Yuden.[/B][/QUOTE]

thanks again… actually that would be pretty much my last question. I have a few rather rare & expensive music CDs and I would like to make back ups. Some people say I should spend the extra money and buy Gold Archival Mam-A, others say TY are fine. What’s your take on this ?

Longevity is important, but TY say 100 years which if true, would be enough haha…

From what I’ve read here in the forums, Mam-A is very much overrated these days.

But you should ask in the Blank Media forum. Pepst is our resident media expert, and he can run rings around me in that subject.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2683878]From what I’ve read here in the forums, Mam-A is very much overrated these days.

But you should ask in the Blank Media forum. Pepst is our resident media expert, and he can run rings around me in that subject.[/QUOTE]

alright thank you very much, last thing. The old samsung drive that I have has been heavily used for ripping, but almost never for burning. Does that affect burn quality? in other words does burn quality degrade over time as the drive ages ?

[QUOTE=cpaqf1;2683881]alright thank you very much, last thing. The old samsung drive that I have has been heavily used for ripping, but almost never for burning. Does that affect burn quality? in other words does burn quality degrade over time as the drive ages ?[/QUOTE]

Any mechanical system that uses bearings or bushings will tend to be less precise as it is used. Whether this will show up in your particular drive is not something I can predict. But it is possible to wear out the mechanical sections of the drive.

Laser diodes and head assemblies fail in unpredictable ways. But reading uses less power and is less likely to cause premature failure.

One thing you might want to do is clean the lens of the drive. Dust particles on the lens will definitely cause problems. There isn’t an easy solution to this. You must open the metal case of the drive, then carefully clean the lens with a cotton swab or lint free cloth and a small amount of alcohol. (don’t use rubbing alcohol that has oils and perfume added to it, use the 90% isopropyl alcohol you can get at the local drugstore, or denatured alcohol from a hardware store).

thanks for all your help

Someone was recently debating getting hardcoat Verbatim media or getting normal TY media as a backup medium; the vote was cast in favor of getting the TY, assuming the extra protection was not necessary. I think a discussion also took place regarding gold/golden media, and the general consensus there was that the gold layer, if there is a genuine gold layer, would not necessarily be better than a well-written TY disc for archival purposes.

[off-topic]

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2683868] Seems a bit overpriced, but I suppose that is to be expected seeing as it is likely to be the very last retail Optiarc drive.[/QUOTE]

That particular drive is probably a bit overpriced as there is a high demand for it. Assuming it is the proper AD-5280S CB-PLUS, it is one of the only drives known to overburn DVD+R DL media, and is highly sought out by…the XBox 360 community, I believe, to avoid having to truncate images of their game backups. May also be highly sought out by the rest of the DVD backup community for the same reason. Also, it is typically used in duplicators, so the tray comes out a little bit more than normal drives…any little extra feature commands a premium price, it seems.

ok, from all I’ve read on this topic I’m thinking that even if the golds are probably better the difference is probably minimal…

just wondering, looking at my choices for TY CDrs, there’s [B]Taiyo Yuden 52x CD-R White Inkjet Hub Printable[/B] which are more expensive than the value line and that say “for professional use” on them, so I’m guessing they’re better than the value line ? there’s also some that have a “water shield”

[QUOTE=cpaqf1;2683896]just wondering, looking at my choices for TY CDrs, there’s [B]Taiyo Yuden 52x CD-R White Inkjet Hub Printable[/B] which are more expensive than the value line and that say “for professional use” on them, so I’m guessing they’re better than the value line ? there’s also some that have a “water shield”[/QUOTE] “Value Line” are media that did NOT pass quality control, so personally I wouldn’t use them for anything important.

Water Shield is good for printing labels that need to be somewhat resistant to moisture (avoid smearing). If you’re not going to print a label on your discs, there’s no need to pay extra for Water Shield.

Even if you are not going to print a label on your CDs, buying printable media may be better than non-printable, since the top side of the disc will be more protected against scratching.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2683898]“Value Line” are media that did NOT pass quality control, so personally I wouldn’t use them for anything important.

Water Shield is good for printing labels that need to be somewhat resistant to moisture (avoid smearing). If you’re not going to print a label on your discs, there’s no need to pay extra for Water Shield.

Even if you are not going to print a label on your CDs, buying printable media may be better than non-printable, since the top side of the disc will be more protected against scratching.[/QUOTE]

perfect I’ll buy that, is there a difference between the White printable ones & the silver printable ones ?